The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: J70 on October 19, 2020, 01:15:33 PM
Apparently Alisson will be back by the end of the month, and definitely by the City game. Thiago's injury not serious either, although he will be out for the Ajax game.

Yeah he's back in training.

Armamike

Quote from: David McKeown on October 19, 2020, 12:50:06 PM
I see Pickford is to face no action.

Why reward Everton by banning him?  The FA is even more screwed up in its interpretation of the game than the GAA!
That's just, like your opinion man.

RedHand88

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 19, 2020, 09:47:18 AM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on October 18, 2020, 06:23:33 PM
Terrible news of course but jeez twitter would fry your head. Theres this little thing called a transfer window come Jan if Matip/Gomez/Fabinho get injured or dont perform. Far far from ideal but the world hasnt ended...my tuppence

Double edged sword really, many Liverpool fans have been quick to say Van Dijk was on Maldini level and this type of online propaganda....of course he was not. But now you will really see how good Van Dijk is, which is not really what any Liverpool fan wanted to see in practice.

Liverpool are still the best team in England without Van Dijk, however the pressure is now on Salah, Mane and most especially Firmino to lead their line.

Hes arguably better than Maldini.

Angelo

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 19, 2020, 02:24:32 PM
Terrible news of course but jeez twitter would fry your head. Theres this little thing called a transfer window come Jan if Matip/Gomez/Fabinho get injured or dont perform. Far far from ideal but the world hasnt ended...my tuppence

Double edged sword really, many Liverpool fans have been quick to say Van Dijk was on Maldini level and this type of online propaganda....of course he was not. But now you will really see how good Van Dijk is, which is not really what any Liverpool fan wanted to see in practice.

Liverpool are still the best team in England without Van Dijk, however the pressure is now on Salah, Mane and most especially Firmino to lead their line.

Come off it.

There's not a defender in the game today who would have been anywhere near the era of Maldini/Nesta/Cannavaro/Thuram etc.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

J70

Quote from: Angelo on October 19, 2020, 02:27:14 PM

Come off it.

There's not a defender in the game today who would have been anywhere near the era of Maldini/Nesta/Cannavaro/Thuram etc.

How does one judge something like this?

blasmere

Quote from: J70 on October 19, 2020, 02:35:09 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 19, 2020, 02:27:14 PM

Come off it.

How does one judge something like this?

You can't, it's all about opinions and as we all know they're like arseholes...
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

Boycey

He'd be in the debate for best centre back in the Premier League era with about 10/15 others anything else is just hyperbole. The current best tends to be the apple of most people's eye but that's always the way

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Boycey on October 19, 2020, 04:26:03 PM
He'd be in the debate for best centre back in the Premier League era with about 10/15 others anything else is just hyperbole. The current best tends to be the apple of most people's eye but that's always the way

Van Dijk is 29. He arguably, only got any kind of lush praise from about 27 years of age. To say he's in the pantheon of that type of player for me, just isn't right.

No doubting his undoubted talent, but certainly not at that level yet. Although this injury may rob him of a major opportunity to stake his claim.

nrico2006

I'd agree with regards to putting him into a debate with 15/20 others from the PL throughout the years.  The way he is praised though is a joke, Danny Murphy showing himself up this weekend.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Taylor

Kompany, Vidic, Adams, Terry - that is the type of company VVD is at all be it he hasnt done it for as long.

I have no doubt by the time he is finished he will be talked about in that group (fingers crossed he makes a full recovery).

To move up to the next level people are talking about he would need to have done it over a much longer period and on the international stage

J70

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 19, 2020, 04:45:14 PM
I'd agree with regards to putting him into a debate with 15/20 others from the PL throughout the years.  The way he is praised though is a joke, Danny Murphy showing himself up this weekend.

It may be speak more to the lack of other centre backs at his level at the moment, especially since Kompany retired.

Ten years ago you had Rio, Terry, Vidic and the likes.

Ethan Tremblay

Nail on the head there J70. 
If you were to pick a PL best XI, VVD would no doubt take up one CB position, the other would be up for grabs.  If you were to pick it 10 years ago, you would be deciding the CB pair for weeks. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Taylor

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on October 19, 2020, 05:07:39 PM
Nail on the head there J70. 
If you were to pick a PL best XI, VVD would no doubt take up one CB position, the other would be up for grabs.  If you were to pick it 10 years ago, you would be deciding the CB pair for weeks.

Current best PL XL then he would certainly be there.

Best PL XL of all time then he wouldnt be there yet