Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: clarshack on February 10, 2019, 11:23:05 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on February 10, 2019, 09:57:47 PM
Does anyone know what the supposed row was about? Must havebeen serious enough to still affect the team

No idea what has happened in this case but there's usually only one reason why lads will fall out among themselves.

Well Dont leave us hanging then ffs.
I can think of 100 or so reasons but in my experience it's usually beer fueled slagging that got out of hand and then lads fall in behind who they're closest with.

Is there any a actual truth to this whole thing at all?

bgal10

Couldn't believe the lack of a mention of the wind during the analysis on League Sunday last night.  They were saying that Roscommon were very "shot shy" during the 2nd half and about how they let Tyrone back into the game in the 2nd half however didn't once mention the gale which was the single biggest deciding factor in the game!

trailer

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 11, 2019, 04:00:08 AM
Does anyone know what the supposed row was about? Must havebeen serious enough to still affect the team

No idea what has happened in this case but there's usually only one reason why lads will fall out among themselves.

I can think of 100 or so reasons but in my experience it's usually beer fueled slagging that got out of hand and then lads fall in behind who they're closest with.

To be honest this sounds like one giant rumour. There's no fact or basis for this.

deadman

The wind was a huge factor, but so too was Tyrone's ineptitude in the middle third. Absolutely cleaned out for breaking ball, especially in the first half when Roscommon put the foot down and hit six points in a row.

Fuzzman

Have we seen this before where we go into a new season full of hope and excitement with how good the new recruits look in the McKenna cup and talk of huge competition for places and then it all falls flat on its face.

A few weeks ago we were EXPECTING to win for the first time in a long time down in Killarney but again we are left feeling a little cheated as fans and wonder what the hell is going on.
It seems pretty obvious now that the team has no interest in fighting too hard for a win at this time of year and are just going through the motions. Our lack of an obvious Plan B has risen its head again as we continue to be very predictable and want to run with the ball all the time and then don't know how to break down a defensive blanket.

Brolly and Dessie Dolan were almost creaming themselves last night watching the Kerry v Dubs game and saying this is how football should be played. Poor JC didn't know now whether to interrupt them and disagree with everything Joe said as before or to let them both off the leash.

It seems pretty obvious from Harte's interviews and newspaper chat that he has zero interest in this league and staying up is his aim and even if we go down is it that bad.
The run last year to the AI Final probably has confirmed his beliefs about you gotta pace yourself and be more ready for July and August rather than worrying should you lose a first round match in Ulster in late May.
With what SHOULD BE two easy games v Derry and Antrim to begin with I'd say Mickey's focus is on 9th June semifinal v Fermanagh or Donegal.

I know I know I shouldn't make assumptions to beat 2 Div four teams.

Re Midfield, I thought Kennedy would be catching a lot more clean ball but I suppose this is all very new to him and he's not really had a good partner in the middle.

One big rumour indeed where we should all back off and stop digging. Do ever learn to stop adding to the bad news that follows us around and let sleeping dogs lie.

southtyronegael

was conan grugan available yesterday? not sure how ben mc donnell has jumped ahead of him in the pecking order? grugan one of the best footballers in tyrone and needs plenty of gametime in league but maybe he injured?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 11, 2019, 11:55:34 AM
Have we seen this before where we go into a new season full of hope and excitement with how good the new recruits look in the McKenna cup and talk of huge competition for places and then it all falls flat on its face.

A few weeks ago we were EXPECTING to win for the first time in a long time down in Killarney but again we are left feeling a little cheated as fans and wonder what the hell is going on.
It seems pretty obvious now that the team has no interest in fighting too hard for a win at this time of year and are just going through the motions. Our lack of an obvious Plan B has risen its head again as we continue to be very predictable and want to run with the ball all the time and then don't know how to break down a defensive blanket.

Brolly and Dessie Dolan were almost creaming themselves last night watching the Kerry v Dubs game and saying this is how football should be played. Poor JC didn't know now whether to interrupt them and disagree with everything Joe said as before or to let them both off the leash.

It seems pretty obvious from Harte's interviews and newspaper chat that he has zero interest in this league and staying up is his aim and even if we go down is it that bad.
The run last year to the AI Final probably has confirmed his beliefs about you gotta pace yourself and be more ready for July and August rather than worrying should you lose a first round match in Ulster in late May.
With what SHOULD BE two easy games v Derry and Antrim to begin with I'd say Mickey's focus is on 9th June semifinal v Fermanagh or Donegal.

Re Midfield, I thought Kennedy would be catching a lot more clean ball but I suppose this is all very new to him and he's not really had a good partner in the middle.

One big rumour indeed where we should all back off and stop digging. Do ever learn to stop adding to the bad news that follows us around and let sleeping dogs lie.

If you are being completely honest I think there is a lot to be admired with how both teams played on Saturday night. Now whilst I wasn't there at that game nor even the Tyrone game yesterday - elements may/may not have been a factor both Keane and Horan have come in this year and given their attack clear purpose, get it in there. Maybe the inside mark coming in has helped this, but you have to wonder what Harte and O'Neill are telling the tyrone players because there doesn't seem to be one player willing to be selfless and get the head up and kick in straight away. Instead it's a near obsession with safety, getting it sidewards, go back, keep the ball, slow.....My issue is there doesn't seem to be any kind of attacking plan right now. Would that be a fair enough comment?

tyrone08

Yes i would agree with a lack of attacking plan. I cant get my head around how they think they are going to win matches without putting the ball over the bar.

You have to imagine their training is focused around defence snd retaining possession. What is the point in steve oneill? he must not be allowed too much input. Havent seen any benefit of him coming into the set up. Hes better off out of it if he is not allowed to input into attacking play. Most teams would love a player of oneills calibre coaching the forwards.

I wouldn't be holding out too much hope that this is some master plan not to peak early. This team cant even get the basics right at the minute.

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 11, 2019, 12:59:36 PM

If you are being completely honest I think there is a lot to be admired with how both teams played on Saturday night. Now whilst I wasn't there at that game nor even the Tyrone game yesterday - elements may/may not have been a factor both Keane and Horan have come in this year and given their attack clear purpose, get it in there. Maybe the inside mark coming in has helped this, but you have to wonder what Harte and O'Neill are telling the tyrone players because there doesn't seem to be one player willing to be selfless and get the head up and kick in straight away. Instead it's a near obsession with safety, getting it sidewards, go back, keep the ball, slow.....My issue is there doesn't seem to be any kind of attacking plan right now. Would that be a fair enough comment?

Fuzzman

Do you remember the league last year?
It looks like we're a good bit behind other teams in the level of fitness and game plan.

You can obviously see Kerry's new manager had a plan to get his young underage players into the winning mentality and they are scrapping and working like dogs this early in the year. He knows Kerry need to make a statement and come out all guns blazing and they have done that. They will have a lot of belief in themselves now and to bring that you team to a league final will do wonders for their confidence.
Whereas Tyrone and Dublin look to have taken a lot of time off to relax since Sept and are not long back from their well deserved holiday.

That interview Harte did with Teamtalkmag you can see he isn't too bothered about how bad things look and he's saying he thought they played well actually.
I won't be wasting any more money to go see them until May time I think.

Scoring Zone

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 11, 2019, 12:59:36 PM

Dublin, Kerry and Mayo have a number of forwards that can win their own ball (50/50's) Dean Rock, costello, mannion, paddy Andrews, mcmenamin, Sean o'shea, Clifford (when playing) Geaney, Moran, O'Shea's and O'Connors - in the final of the McKenna cup, Kerry, Mayo and Roscommon to date I have seen our forwards (McCurry, Brennan, O'Neill etc.) have been out muscled, turned over and pushed way down the field defending(McCurry has been exposed for 2 goals against in 2 games now, being in the FB line). This is why I think we are using the running game and trying to pick holes because when Tyrone go direct the percentages of it sticking is poor. Although it will be interesting if McShane stays in there now as a target man / ball winner.

And I hope they all invest in a pair of boots with studs, their are playing in Feb ffs, too much slipping and sliding done.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 11, 2019, 04:00:08 AM

Does someone actually know what rumours of a fall out there was and can they just bloody say who it was on this discussion board!!

Ive heard nothing and im intrigued to know, was it a player fall out among themselves or was it a management/players fall out? 

I was at the game yesterday and it really was shocking, sideways football for 80% of our play,with the exception of Morgan most men looked scared to take a man on and break the line, had Roscommon actually took the game to Tyrone in the last 20 mins they would have bate us by a big margin, but because they had a nice lead they seemed to sit back and try protect their lead and see the game out but Tyrone just kept plugging away, it may only be the league but a team coming out of an All Ireland final should have been buzzing and high on confidence but we look lost at the moment and no confidence at the minute what so ever, we desperately need a few good performances before the championship if we want to make  progression at all or even challenge for it!

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 11, 2019, 01:59:34 PM
Do you remember the league last year?
It looks like we're a good bit behind other teams in the level of fitness and game plan.

You can obviously see Kerry's new manager had a plan to get his young underage players into the winning mentality and they are scrapping and working like dogs this early in the year. He knows Kerry need to make a statement and come out all guns blazing and they have done that. They will have a lot of belief in themselves now and to bring that you team to a league final will do wonders for their confidence.
Whereas Tyrone and Dublin look to have taken a lot of time off to relax since Sept and are not long back from their well deserved holiday.

That interview Harte did with Teamtalkmag you can see he isn't too bothered about how bad things look and he's saying he thought they played well actually.
I won't be wasting any more money to go see them until May time I think.

Kerry and Mayo are flying at the minute and I agree that this will do wonders for their confidence however it is the beginning of February and it will be difficult to keep that kind of form up straight through to the end of the summer.

bigtogs

Will it matter how fit we are if we hold the ball up in the middle 3rd of the field????

Quarterback

I cant understand everyone getting so worked up over what we have to watch on a Sunday with this current Tyrone Team. 

To start with we have lost both our inside forwards in Mark Bradley & Conor Mc Aliskey.  Mc Curry whilst decent is not on the same level as these guys so the alternatives are David Mulgrew, Ronan O Neil, Cathal Mc Shane.  This is the reality of what mickey has to work with.  Sure you can try Richard Donnelly at FF, Brian Kennedy Peter Harte etc but the big Problem is we have not produced a top forward post Mulligan, O Neill, Canavan etc.  And with these guys we were spoiled. 

southtyronegael

Quote from: Quarterback on February 11, 2019, 03:28:09 PM
I cant understand everyone getting so worked up over what we have to watch on a Sunday with this current Tyrone Team. 

To start with we have lost both our inside forwards in Mark Bradley & Conor Mc Aliskey.  Mc Curry whilst decent is not on the same level as these guys so the alternatives are David Mulgrew, Ronan O Neil, Cathal Mc Shane.  This is the reality of what mickey has to work with.  Sure you can try Richard Donnelly at FF, Brian Kennedy Peter Harte etc but the big Problem is we have not produced a top forward post Mulligan, O Neill, Canavan etc.  And with these guys we were spoiled.
so just because we don't have any canavans or Mulligan's on the team we can't play any attacking football? Didn't see many star forwards on Roscommon team yesterday but they still managed 10 points from play in first half. Nonsense post no harm.