Laois Senior Football Championship 2019

Started by The PRO, February 28, 2019, 09:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laois fan

Any club can hire its own development officer if they can come  up with half the funds ,bud no way should laois provide plaois with one for free

High Fielder

I respectfully disagree. With a third of the county's population in Portlaoise, it is clear we're not maximising the potential. If the side effect is worrying about making Portlaoise more powerful, then that for me is a price worth paying.

Laois fan

Plaois can pay 10000 and get 20 hrs of a  development officer  a week which would help massively in the schools and something I have  zero problem with,but let them fund it themselves they had no problem paying for flights back from australia for years

clonadmad

I've no issue with a full time dual GDA being appointed for Portlaoise Parish,It did form part of the strategic review.

I also would have no issue with a GDA covering the other urban areas in Laois also.

We currently have funding in place for 5 GDA's across the county with only 3 positions currently filled.

From talking to those heavily involved in Juvenile development,7 would be ideal.

High Fielder

It makes sense really. Particularly in Portlaoise, it is obvious that we are losing the battle to keep players playing beyond a certain point. That's not something we should allow to continue

Keyser Söze

I don't think we should ignore the fact that Portlaoise as the cardinal urban area needs attention.
It is worth noting that this is how the discussion re Dublin in the wider GAA began a number of years ago.

Ignoring it is cutting our noses off to spite our face, go full hog and we might just create a monster.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

SpeculativeEffort

If we are serious about maximising the potential of Portlaoise we need a strong county board willing to buy land and form at least one more GAA club in the town. Schools need to be designated to that club.eg Knockmay.  Putting nearly every child in Portlaoise into one primary school (Holy Family) is a major hindrance and an example of poor planning in a much broader sense but it can be done. Portlaoise is only getting bigger and one club will not suffice.

High Fielder

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 15, 2019, 04:41:28 PM
I don't think we should ignore the fact that Portlaoise as the cardinal urban area needs attention.
It is worth noting that this is how the discussion re Dublin in the wider GAA began a number of years ago.

Ignoring it is cutting our noses off to spite our face, go full hog and we might just create a monster.

Most of the problems in the GAA are numbers related. There are too many matches and too many clubs in general, and not enough referees to officiate. In the context of Portlaoise, splitting them up is not the answer, but amalgamating around them is. We already have the solution at underage, and bizarrely, we walk away from it once players hit a certain age. We should be running our games to make ourselves better, but it seems to me we are waiting for the thing to level out. 

Portbush

Portlaoise and Newbridge are towns of similar size. Where Newbridge has two successful senior football clubs both side have men on kildare panel.it works in Newbridge why not portlaoise. Myself I'm live in a town and everyone thinks because of the population it's easy to raise money but it's not we have a lot of competition from other sports within the town. Soccer swimming rugby tennis golf there just a few clubs I can name more.even outside football clubs.maybe if portlaoise and my own club Portarlington where debt free we would have the money to pay these coaches.for the Likes  of us and portlaoise in order to develop we had to buy  Land or move ground.we All know land in a town is far more expensive that land out in rural areas.

Keyser Söze

As I said, be careful what you wish for!!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

High Fielder

Quote from: Portbush on October 15, 2019, 06:05:46 PM
Portlaoise and Newbridge are towns of similar size. Where Newbridge has two successful senior football clubs both side have men on kildare panel.it works in Newbridge why not portlaoise. Myself I'm live in a town and everyone thinks because of the population it's easy to raise money but it's not we have a lot of competition from other sports within the town. Soccer swimming rugby tennis golf there just a few clubs I can name more.even outside football clubs.maybe if portlaoise and my own club Portarlington where debt free we would have the money to pay these coaches.for the Likes  of us and portlaoise in order to develop we had to buy  Land or move ground.we All know land in a town is far more expensive that land out in rural areas.

These clubs were founded over 100 years ago. There is no appetite for change in Portlaoise, so who is going to set up a second club and who would want to play for it? The problem here doesn't need to be halved or quartered. There are perfectly good foundations in Laois and Portlaoise, but we choose to give Portlaoise a free ride by trying to compete with them as small clubs. It's once in a blue moon stuff, just like county level. Numbers will always win out in the long term, because the chances of getting a better team are increased with a bigger pick. The problem for the GAA and Portlaoise in this context is wastage. How many players are slipping through the cracks because resources are scarce or there's very little interest for older players if they're not on the Senior team.

Proportionately speaking, Laois is not getting enough from Portlaoise and they're not doing enough outside Laois for the size of club that they are. I believe there's enough in all that for us to worry about, but I'm fairly sure that most people just want them to come back to the field.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Don Draper on October 14, 2019, 08:33:26 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on October 07, 2019, 11:08:58 PM
Quote from: town1980 on October 07, 2019, 10:54:07 PM
It's not as if the lad hasn't been given a chance he is a lovely club footballer but I don't think he is an intercounty player he just doesn't have the physical aspect to his game like hatch Finlay last year good club men way off intercounty
Blow it out your hole you w**ker

Don Draper,

You have received a warning for insulting other users. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The gaaboard.com Team.

Seems an over the top reaction

Don - have you been barred? Never saw you so quiet on the forum.

TheGiantSquid

Ballyroan have gone back to Clancy for next year, didn't see that coming. Timahoe mustn't be worth the hassle if he is leaving after just one year. Any thoughts on this?

Laoiseabu

Quote from: TheGiantSquid on October 22, 2019, 06:31:13 PM
Ballyroan have gone back to Clancy for next year, didn't see that coming. Timahoe mustn't be worth the hassle if he is leaving after just one year. Any thoughts on this?
Timahoe avoided relegation to junior by the skin of their teeth this year and seem to be getting further away from going Senior again .The likes ofQuigley, ramsbottom and a few others aren't getting any younger either with very little youth coming through.
Ballyroan on the other hand were unlucky not to Make it two minor A championships in a row this year. Their seniors gave a good account of themselves too,they beat Emo ,they brought Portarlington to a replay in one of the games and narrowly lost out to st Joseph's by two points .Being able to pick from Abbeyleix is starting to come to fruition too. Some decent young players like Diarmuid Whelan, Martin Scully, Enda McWey, Ciaran Byrne , Aaron Carroll , Ciaran Carroll etc along with older heads like Tierney, McMahon and Scott Conroy. The scope for improvement seems to be a lot greater in Ballyroan than it is in Timahoe .

Jd

The whole Stradbally parish gaels thing is just not producing enough players to keep the three clubs going. Stradbally nearly relegated annanough only up from junior and Timahoe almost relegated. I know that blaming the underage setup is simplistic but it's certainly a problem. Back in the 80s 90s 2000s they were powerhouses of underage football but it's a while now since they have won an underage A championship. Timahoe as a result are gonna struggle