The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Quote from: laoislad on June 17, 2018, 08:58:23 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on June 17, 2018, 08:37:51 PM
Fleetwood having some round. Probably going to need at least one more birdie on the final 2 holes to stand any chance
Haven't watched any of it because of the football.
How's our Rory doing.?

Think he took the weekend off to get ready for the 12th!

3 holes to go and koepka still up by one

screenexile

Boycey

Today's round proves that tough championship golf doesn't have be a torture like it was a couple of days this week..

Koepka a worthy champion.

Orior

And his caddy is an Irishman.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Minder

Quote from: Orior on June 18, 2018, 08:11:15 AM
And his caddy is an Irishman.

Ricky Elliott from Portrush, not sure he would agree with that description !

Great performance from Koepka and two totally different wins, a shoot out last year and then a traditional US Open grind. Johnson couldn't make a putt.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

trailer

Feel bad for DJ. He was punished for being good on Thurs and Fri. Sat was a real slog for the leaders in the afternoon. I'd say that has had an effect on his Sunday performance. If I was him I'd be pissed. Fair play to Koepka though. He took his opportunity.

FIGJAM is a momentous arsehole. No wonder the US public love him. Has shown himself up as a cheat and nothing else. If you did that in your local club you'd have trouble getting anyone to play with you, bar other cheats. The USGA also copped out in not DQing him. The rule they applied is for accidentally hitting the ball. He deliberately hit a moving ball.

WT4E

Quote from: trailer on June 18, 2018, 10:10:45 AM
FIGJAM is a momentous arsehole. No wonder the US public love him. Has shown himself up as a cheat and nothing else. If you did that in your local club you'd have trouble getting anyone to play with you, bar other cheats. The USGA also copped out in not DQing him. The rule they applied is for accidentally hitting the ball. He deliberately hit a moving ball.

I just saw someone on Twitter blame Tyrone for FIGJAM bending the rules.  :o

Hound

Feel bad for DJ. He was punished for being good on Thurs and Fri. Sat was a real slog for the leaders in the afternoon. I'd say that has had an effect on his Sunday performance. If I was him I'd be pissed. Fair play to Koepka though. He took his opportunity.

Don't think that's true.

The rule (14-5) simply states:

A player must not make a stroke at his ball while it is moving.
Strokeplay Penalty: 2 strokes

Now if you purposely deflect or stop the ball, then you are into Rule 1-2, which could mean disqualification (if significant advantage obtained). Rule 1-2 expressly states that it does not apply to anything covered under another rule.

So, did Mickelson strike the ball or deflect the ball?
I think it was a strike, in which case, the right decision has been made.
Although clearly many think this goes against the ethos of the game, and maybe the rule should be amended.

trailer

Quote from: Hound on June 18, 2018, 01:44:48 PM

Don't think that's true.

Now if you purposely deflect or stop the ball, then you are into Rule 1-2, which could mean disqualification (if significant advantage obtained). Rule 1-2 expressly states that it does not apply to anything covered under another rule.

Although clearly many think this goes against the ethos of the game, and maybe the rule should be amended.

They should've have proceeded under rule 1-2 but he knew what he was doing. Has this now given everyone carte blanche if you hit a shit putt that's going to run into a bunker to just run round and hit it back?
If he's that pissed at how hard the US Open is he should lobby that's it's played under stableford points. Put himself down for a ding.
He's a cheat and an arsehole. Time they took action against him.
This and his Ryder Cup antics were he threw Tom Watson under the bus shows the sort of **** he is.

Boycey

I didn't know what FIGJAM was I had to google It. I've been an admirer of his for 20+ years (possibly cause he's a leftie like me) and I've never heard that nickname applied to him..

I thought it a poor thing for him to do, it he'd left it alone and said nothing it could have been put down to the course conditions wearing him down but he compounded it by saying he did it purposely knowing the penalty which was staggering.

A bit of grovelling and good PR needed...

By the way he's actually right handed  :o

Hound

Quote from: trailer on June 18, 2018, 02:22:40 PM

Don't think that's true.

They should've have proceeded under rule 1-2 but he knew what he was doing. Has this now given everyone carte blanche if you hit a shit putt that's going to run into a bunker to just run round and hit it back?
If he's that pissed at how hard the US Open is he should lobby that's it's played under stableford points. Put himself down for a ding.
This and his Ryder Cup antics were he threw Tom Watson under the bus shows the sort of **** he is.
You'd wanna be a pretty poor bunker player to prefer a 2 shot penalty to being in the bunker!

Mickelson was being lazy rather than a cheat. Not sure he gained any advantage. I'd say he would have got less than 10 had he played properly.
No doubt he's an arsehole. He wouldn't have cared had he got DQ'd.

Orchard park

Mickelson  is the ultimate white elite rich boor  that gives golf such bad press

trailer

Quote from: Hound on June 18, 2018, 09:16:05 PM

Don't think that's true.

You'd wanna be a pretty poor bunker player to prefer a 2 shot penalty to being in the bunker!

Mickelson was being lazy rather than a cheat. Not sure he gained any advantage. I'd say he would have got less than 10 had he played properly.

And the person who drops a ball out of his/her pocket rather than bothering to look their original, or go back and play another from the correct place? Is he/she being lazy too?

cornerback

Quote from: trailer on June 19, 2018, 08:48:17 AM

Don't think that's true.

And the person who drops a ball out of his/her pocket rather than bothering to look their original, or go back and play another from the correct place? Is he/she being lazy too?

If you can't see the difference in those 2 scenarios then there's no point having a discussion!

What Phil did was wrong but it is covered in the rules & he was punished according to those rules - it's another issue whether the rule needs looked at due to the blatant nature of Phils transgression!

The person who drops another ball is out-and-out cheating and not taking the appropriate punishment.

trailer

Quote from: cornerback on June 19, 2018, 09:40:35 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 19, 2018, 08:48:17 AM

Don't think that's true.

If you can't see the difference in those 2 scenarios then there's no point having a discussion!

What Phil did was wrong but it is covered in the rules & he was punished according to those rules - it's another issue whether the rule needs looked at due to the blatant nature of Phils transgression!

The person who drops another ball is out-and-out cheating and not taking the appropriate punishment.

Ok this is the last I'm saying on it cause I really need to get over it and move on.
I think it's blatant cheating. If possible, he's gone down in my estimation (he already was pretty low). I see no difference from the scenario I posted above. And worst of all to do it in a US Open!! He thinks he is above the law. It's not for me. Golf is different from other sports in that it is up to the player himself to police himself. There's no independent referee following your Saturday fourball. He's set a very bad example, and if someone in my fourball did the same in a comp, I'd refuse to play with that person again.

Anyway as I said I'm gonna leave it now.