Warm Weather Training Camps

Started by screenexile, March 06, 2024, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Couldn't find a thread on this so just wanted to gauge opinions on it.

I see Derry have announced they're heading off to the sun and we know Kerry/Cork/Dublin are all heading off for a while and Donegal were in Tenerife in December, are there any more doing it?

Seems to be something the top teams are doing for the last while but there's definitely a few eyebrows raised in Derry as to whether the money could be better spent throughout the county.

Personally I think that's what the top teams are doing and having 24hours across a few days with the team gives an opportunity to get a huge amount of tactical work done especially the way the game is now.

Who is paying for it is what it comes down to really I suppose.

Armagh18

Think Armagh started that trend in 02 and any of the lads would say it was beneficial that time.

With the sacrifices and effort county players put in these days I wouldn't begrudge them a few days away, be a great experience- enjoyable and would imagine beneficial tactics wise as well.

Blowitupref

Quote from: screenexile on March 06, 2024, 11:20:15 AMCouldn't find a thread on this so just wanted to gauge opinions on it.

I see Derry have announced they're heading off to the sun and we know Kerry/Cork/Dublin are all heading off for a while and Donegal were in Tenerife in December, are there any more doing it?

Seems to be something the top teams are doing for the last while but there's definitely a few eyebrows raised in Derry as to whether the money could be better spent throughout the county.

Personally I think that's what the top teams are doing and having 24hours across a few days with the team gives an opportunity to get a huge amount of tactical work done especially the way the game is now.

Who is paying for it is what it comes down to really I suppose.

Wealthy business men sponsors normally pay. Are Derry on the training camp this week or waiting until after the league? Gone now would suggest they are happy with their lot in regardless to the league, line up against Dublin probably said that already.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

the goal was on

I take it mickey harte wont be going as he was dead against foreign training camps when over tyrone!

les Antiques

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 06, 2024, 11:29:09 AMThink Armagh started that trend in 02 and any of the lads would say it was beneficial that time.

With the sacrifices and effort county players put in these days I wouldn't begrudge them a few days away, be a great experience- enjoyable and would imagine beneficial tactics wise as well.

Lol fairly sure Armagh didn't start the trend in 2002...
I recall many inter county teams heading away for training camps in the 1990s . Perhaps not as advertised as it now but it was fairly common .

screenexile

trailer

Quote from: les Antiques on March 06, 2024, 07:35:25 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on March 06, 2024, 11:29:09 AMThink Armagh started that trend in 02 and any of the lads would say it was beneficial that time.

Lol fairly sure Armagh didn't start the trend in 2002...
I recall many inter county teams heading away for training camps in the 1990s . Perhaps not as advertised as it now but it was fairly common .

Armagh invented training.

thewobbler

I don't imagine a warm weather training camp would could much more than doing the same thing in Ireland. And there's the plus point of fewer opportunities to bail from some of the camp when they're a flight away from their family / club / work.

That said, it's still a load of old tosh that makes no team more or less likely to fulfil their potential.

AustinPowers

Who needs La Manga or Tenerife?  What's wrong with  taking a squad to  somewhere like  that pitch on Innisturk?  Plenty of privacy there .

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Gazboy on March 06, 2024, 11:23:44 PMSo where are Derry squad supposed to going on warm weather training camp???
With Mickey Harte probably a week of prayers in Fatima or Lourdes.

rrhf

Quote from: thewobbler on March 06, 2024, 09:24:59 PMI don't imagine a warm weather training camp would could much more than doing the same thing in Ireland. And there's the plus point of fewer opportunities to bail from some of the camp when they're a flight away from their family / club / work.

That said, it's still a load of old tosh that makes no team more or less likely to fulfil their potential.
I dont know about that.  Armagh went from also rans to champions after a trip to La Manga..Yes... they went back to being also rans but it still worked albeit just that one time...

Taylor

Quote from: rrhf on March 07, 2024, 08:27:12 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 06, 2024, 09:24:59 PMI don't imagine a warm weather training camp would could much more than doing the same thing in Ireland. And there's the plus point of fewer opportunities to bail from some of the camp when they're a flight away from their family / club / work.

I dont know about that.  Armagh went from also rans to champions after a trip to La Manga..Yes... they went back to being also rans but it still worked albeit just that one time...

;D  ;D

clarshack

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 06, 2024, 11:38:15 PM
Quote from: Gazboy on March 06, 2024, 11:23:44 PMSo where are Derry squad supposed to going on warm weather training camp???
With Mickey Harte probably a week of prayers in Fatima or Lourdes.

would you mock a Muslim for their beliefs especially the ones that pray in Croke Park each year or is it just the likes of Harte that's fair game to you?

Mario

I'm supportive of it. The Derry lads have shown a ridiculous level of commitment the past 3 or 4 years and deserve some of the benefits you get from being a top team. They are probably taking in £150k in gate receipts at every home game these days so why not spend some of that on the players.

tonto1888

Quote from: Mario on March 07, 2024, 10:19:48 AMI'm supportive of it. The Derry lads have shown a ridiculous level of commitment the past 3 or 4 years and deserve some of the benefits you get from being a top team. They are probably taking in £150k in gate receipts at every home game these days so why not spend some of that on the players.

i dont really see anything wrong with it myself