Concerned Gaels

Started by give her dixie, June 20, 2018, 02:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: sid waddell on June 20, 2018, 12:36:41 PM
Amazing how confederate flags and bible-thumping evangelical nutcases with huge signs are allowed at GAA matches, but Palestinian flags aren't.

That's harsh. Poor auld John 3:7 is a sound lad.

I saw a few Palestinian flags in the Gaelic Grounds for the Limerick - Tipp Match, and again in Cork for the Cork Limerick game and I don't think anyone was removed, so I'm not sure if a directive came out specifically for the Tyrone Meath game because those flags are more prevalent in some Ulster games.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 20, 2018, 03:25:47 PM
Amazing how confederate flags and bible-thumping evangelical nutcases with huge signs are allowed at GAA matches, but Palestinian flags aren't.

I saw a few Palestinian flags in the Gaelic Grounds for the Limerick - Tipp Match, and again in Cork for the Cork Limerick game and I don't think anyone was removed, so I'm not sure if a directive came out specifically for the Tyrone Meath game because those flags are more prevalent in some Ulster games.

I've heard a lot of stories about John 3:7 being a bit of a thoughtless twat with his antics actually, AZ. I can only imagine being stuck behind him at a match.

tonto1888

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 20, 2018, 10:02:43 AM
There are indubitably some GAA people out there who support the Israeli stance on Palestine, should they also be allowed to use the Association as a vehicle to show that support?

If they want to wave an Israeli flag let them. I don't see how waving a Palestine flag at a match is a form of protest though

tonto1888

Quote from: Hound on June 20, 2018, 12:35:56 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 20, 2018, 11:41:34 AM
If you flew a Palestine flag inside a premier league ground would you be asked to leave?
(Honest question, I dont know the answer).

It would be confiscated. Not sure if you'd be asked to leave, I don't think so, but you'd be closely watched.

I'm not sure it would. Although a different league there are always Palestine flags at Celtic park and why don't eat confiscated

charlieTully

If you flew a Palestine flag inside a premier league ground would you be asked to leave?

It would be confiscated. Not sure if you'd be asked to leave, I don't think so, but you'd be closely watched.

My son had one at the R.O.I v USA friendly a couple of weeks back. No one said boo to him

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on June 20, 2018, 04:05:20 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 20, 2018, 03:25:47 PM

I've heard a lot of stories about John 3:7 being a bit of a thoughtless twat with his antics actually, AZ. I can only imagine being stuck behind him at a match.

Ah yeah but he's harmless.

themac_23

Quote from: charlieTully on June 20, 2018, 04:44:49 PM

My son had one at the R.O.I v USA friendly a couple of weeks back. No one said boo to him

There was a Palestine flag at one of the WC games today, not sure which one (possibly portugal) was hanging in one of the corners of the stadium. wasn't watching the games just caught a glimpse of it so not 100% sure what game

weareros

Another point I would make is that these players are amateur who train their bollix off to entertain us. The entertainment draws huge crowds and huge exposure in TV audience. Big audience brings out the "marketers". So, you have two choices - bring a county flag to support them for their efforts  and what they represent or take advantage of the audiences they generate to get your message across. Have at it: Palestine. Abortion. FF. FG. SF. Think I will stick with a flag to support them. Don't think anyone has the right to use an amateur org to make a political point, no matter how right that political point may be.

Orchard park

I come into this as someone who as a child helped carry blankets  at half time in matches to fundraise for poliical prisoners. My father had considerable gaa officialdom resistance in organiding this  but  totally ignored it as he knew Denis Conroy and Frank Murphy together with most Northern Central council were supportive...

38 years later I see what happened then as totally wrong and it was politicising sport which is wrong.

I have no more objection to Palestinian or Israeli flags than i have to the annoying snd historically inappropriate usage of confederate ones by cork.....

None shoukd be allowed flown imho and yes that is s  is s serious change of opinion over a lifetime..... mostly these things might be deemed valid st the time but they look foolish when viewed through the prism of history......

Eamonnca1

Quote from: thewobbler on June 20, 2018, 07:02:42 AM
Quote from: give her dixie on June 20, 2018, 03:14:12 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 20, 2018, 02:28:22 AM
HQ need to stand their ground on this one. A very small but very loud minority support this politicising of the games. It remains incredibly distasteful to me that these people use the Palestinian cause as a prop to further their own selfish ends.

If anyone wants to pretend that all but a few of these people have any real interest in their plights and it isn't yet another attempt to try to wind up unionists in the north, cop on. Creating divisions rather than trying to bridge them, even in sport.

Just shut up. Please. Shut up and take time to read and understand the sentiments of the people not only in Ulster, but across Ireland  right now.

Choices:

a) allow every politically attuned member of our Association to use the GAA as a vehicle for promoting their politics, and therefore inevitably over time generate negative publicity and infighting.

Or

b) remain politically neutral and concentrate on football and hurling.

—-

Those who would choose to follow a) are narrow minded, myopic fools.

Could not agree more. As soon as you declare your political allegiance you immediately alienate half the people in the country, and the GAA should be open to everybody.

I'm a supporter of Palestinian rights, but I'd hate to see the GAA being dragged into this.

macdanger2

How can you sign the petition? The article mentions a website but I couldn't find it online

Itchy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 20, 2018, 08:34:51 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 20, 2018, 07:02:42 AM
Quote from: give her dixie on June 20, 2018, 03:14:12 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 20, 2018, 02:28:22 AM
HQ need to stand their ground on this one. A very small but very loud minority support this politicising of the games. It remains incredibly distasteful to me that these people use the Palestinian cause as a prop to further their own selfish ends.

If anyone wants to pretend that all but a few of these people have any real interest in their plights and it isn't yet another attempt to try to wind up unionists in the north, cop on. Creating divisions rather than trying to bridge them, even in sport.

Just shut up. Please. Shut up and take time to read and understand the sentiments of the people not only in Ulster, but across Ireland  right now.

Choices:

a) allow every politically attuned member of our Association to use the GAA as a vehicle for promoting their politics, and therefore inevitably over time generate negative publicity and infighting.

Or

b) remain politically neutral and concentrate on football and hurling.

—-

Those who would choose to follow a) are narrow minded, myopic fools.

Could not agree more. As soon as you declare your political allegiance you immediately alienate half the people in the country, and the GAA should be open to everybody.

I'm a supporter of Palestinian rights, but I'd hate to see the GAA being dragged into this.

What if everyone wore a tee shirt with a Palestinian flag on it. It's naive to think you can separate global issues like this from sport. It's like saying the boycott of apartheid South Africa should have been kept out of sport.

give her dixie

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 20, 2018, 08:36:10 PM
How can you sign the petition? The article mentions a website but I couldn't find it online

http://www.concernedgaels.com/
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

SHEEDY

was the queen visiting croke park in 2011 not a political statement at the time??
nil satis nisi optimum

macdanger2