Redux Connacht final 2018 thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 18, 2018, 02:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Why is Champions League Soccer a better spectacle than Gaelic Football? Aside from the tactical mundane aspect that has 90% of the defending team behind the ball at all times, playacting and buying frees has completely stopped me watching full games

Maroon Manc

Compton's injury made a difference but not the extent that many are suggesting, you can see from the stats in the 1st half that Roscommon had struggled on their kickout.

They won 7 out of 13 of their own kickouts in the 1st half whilst they won 3 out of 12 of Galways in the 1st half and 2 of those were kicked out over the sideline by Lavelle. When either goalie didn't have anything on and was forced to go long Galway dominated and won 10 out of the 15. Compton was missed but it wasn't the turning of the game.

cornetto

Galway lads still celebrating Monday evening,they had a great night Sunday in taffes and busker Brown's.Spoke to a couple of the players yesterday evening and they still believed at half time they would go on and win.ross are very hard to beat at home they stated and it showed.They are meeting up tonight  for a review of the match and to go through the plans for the super 8s.

Orchard park

Quote from: Baggio90 on June 19, 2018, 11:58:22 AM
Quote from: Orchard park on June 19, 2018, 11:30:56 AM
I know brolly Labour's the point but just because it's brolly saying it doesn't mean he is wrong about the "tactics" used by coaches like Tally and Poacher....

Nothing wrong with the tactics used by Poacher and Tally.

Carlow are having their best couple of season in God knows how long and now Galway are beginning to get a bit of respect and relative success to previous years.

It's competitive sport, teams should focus on what makes their team more formidable and more competitive and they should not care a jot about what some envious onlookers think. If they think the game should be played a different way then that's up to them but there is no appointee that should be telling others how their teams should be playing.

You show me someone who'd rather have their team play nice football and ship a heavy beating than someone who will set their team up to give them the best chance to win and I will show you a liar. The reason Galway play the way they do is because they have severe deficiencies in ther back lin, it was brought up big time in their visits to Croke Park the last couple of years. They still have those deficienes but the way they play minimises them.

The thing Brolly et all fail to understand that GAA is not an entertainment business, it's competition, it's competitive sport. Defensively set up teams are not one bit a problem in my eye, a far bigger issue is that there is a growing gulf between the top teams and the lesser teams and that is biggest concern in GAA at present.

I hate Dublin being pointed out for the nice football they play - look at the players they have, the resources they have (financially and infrastructure), the facilities they have, the lifestlyes their players are able to live in comparison to teams from smaller counties who may be required to a) actually work and b)move away for work and carry out big commutes to make training. Of course Dublin are going to be another realm to any other team.

We'll beg to differ on the merits of Poacher style tactics when you see tools of coaches from u12 aping them and setting juvenile teams up not to lose.. ( by too much)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: cornetto on June 19, 2018, 01:48:30 PM
Galway lads still celebrating Monday evening,they had a great night Sunday in taffes and busker Brown's.Spoke to a couple of the players yesterday evening and they still believed at half time they would go on and win.ross are very hard to beat at home they stated and it showed.They are meeting up tonight  for a review of the match and to go through the plans for the super 8s.

4 weeks until their first Super 8 game. May as well go out and enjoy themselves while they have the break. Club championship next weekend.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 19, 2018, 11:04:56 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 19, 2018, 09:05:31 AM
Ros hit 14 wides. If that was Mayo everybody would go to town on the shit forwards. Maybe Ros forwards are not as good as they're supposed to be.

I think their forwards are still pretty good for the most part but their shot selection in the 2nd half was deplorable. Shooting from way out or out on the wing when they had a strong wind behind them. It felt like they thought the wind would do all the work for them rather than working the ball a bit closer to goal.

Ultimately if you lose a half of football 0-11 to 1-1 you probably don't deserve it on the day.

I'm sure some of the Rossies can put me right but I can't recall on Sunday any of their forwards kicking a score with their weaker foot or even attempting it? Its hard to tell from Shane Walsh that his left foot is weaker and Ian Burke too is very strong on his left and kicked a score with his weaker foot near the end. Comer kicked a great score with his left against Mayo and Heaney kicked scores from both feet during the league.

I can recall Kieran Shannon doing an article on it a few years ago as he thought that was the big difference between Dublin & Mayo's forwards.

Orchard park

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 19, 2018, 02:35:41 PM
Ros hit 14 wides. If that was Mayo everybody would go to town on the shit forwards. Maybe Ros forwards are not as good as they're supposed to be.

I think their forwards are still pretty good for the most part but their shot selection in the 2nd half was deplorable. Shooting from way out or out on the wing when they had a strong wind behind them. It felt like they thought the wind would do all the work for them rather than working the ball a bit closer to goal.

Ultimately if you lose a half of football 0-11 to 1-1 you probably don't deserve it on the day.

I'm sure some of the Rossies can put me right but I can't recall on Sunday any of their forwards kicking a score with their weaker foot or even attempting it? Its hard to tell from Shane Walsh that his left foot is weaker and Ian Burke too is very strong on his left and kicked a score with his weaker foot near the end. Comer kicked a great score with his left against Mayo and Heaney kicked scores from both feet during the league.

I can recall Kieran Shannon doing an article on it a few years ago as he thought that was the big difference between Dublin & Mayo's forwards.

Given we only had 8 scores............ no we didnt

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 19, 2018, 02:33:48 PM
Quote from: cornetto on June 19, 2018, 01:48:30 PM

4 weeks until their first Super 8 game. May as well go out and enjoy themselves while they have the break. Club championship next weekend.

They well deserve their celebrations, for the majority of this decade we were left wondering if Galway could even string two wins together never mind get the hands on some silverware.
Going back to the clubs for the matches next weekend and a bit of downtime after that before the Super 8's will hopefully allow them a chance to refocus for what will be a very challenging sequence of matches against the top teams in the country.

oliverkelly

Thats why the shooting was so terrible they kept kicking with their weaker feet instead of settling themselves and putting it over with the natural foot. Kilroy, Two Creggs and Devanney in last 15 minutues all kicked terrible wides with their weaker foot

From the Bunker

The BIG difference between Mayo and Dublin the last couple of years has been the SUBS BENCH. When the game is in the BALANCE toward the end of the game, Dublin can bring on fresh players as good as the ones coming off. Mayo DON'T have that luxury.

From the Bunker

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 19, 2018, 01:05:33 PM

Why is Champions League Soccer a better spectacle than Gaelic Football? Aside from the tactical mundane aspect that has 90% of the defending team behind the ball at all times, playacting and buying frees has completely stopped me watching full games

Are you talking about Gaelic or Soccer here. (This is not a question I'd have asked 10 years ago!)

Blowitupref

Good or decent forwards can under perform at times others can find it difficult to score against well organized defences. Dublin for example in the drawn 2016 AI final only managed to score 0-9 as the two goals they got were OGs.

Diarmuid Murtagh i thought performed well last Sunday even though he was triple marked at times and given extra heavy treatment. C Murtagh,D Smith,E Smith only getting 1-1 between them was a very poor return from good players. That lack of scoring can't be repeated if they want to win their round 4 tie.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 19, 2018, 03:19:08 PM

The BIG difference between Mayo and Dublin the last couple of years has been the SUBS BENCH. When the game is in the BALANCE toward the end of the game, Dublin can bring on fresh players as good as the ones coming off. Mayo DON'T have that luxury.

Maybe you could add discipline. Plus technique versus effort.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/i-wouldnt-want-to-play-on-this-team-paul-galvin-explains-why-mayos-tactics-are-death-to-a-halfforward-36927128.html
Their system of play is death to a half-forward, or an inside forward for that matter.

"So many times last Sunday Mayo defenders were ahead of the ball, killing my space forward players should be operating in.

"As a half-forward who loved playing in the pockets along the 45, I simply wouldn't thrive in this Mayo team. Too many bodies occupying the spaces I'd need to be taking up.

"There's something unnaturally frustrating about getting a ball in a championship game and not being able to hit a pass or execute what you see in your head.

"You can deal with that happening a few times or even for a few games, but over time if you're repeatedly blocked up, caught up, short of options, playing sideways, seeing opportunities but not being able to execute for congestion or lack of awareness, it gets irritating.

"Developing their forward play is a big problem for Mayo. If their backs stayed out of the way they would make things easier for themselves and have a chance of progressing. At the moment, it's hard, physical work just watching them trying to get out of their own way."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-mayo-now-on-a-familiar-but-unforgiving-road-1.3494910
For example, Keith Higgins is one of my favourite players. He is 33 now and still as easy on the eye to watch - fast, dynamic, powerful and a joy to watch, I think. Early in the second half he makes a break out of defence and he is going direct. But who is with him? Nobody. He becomes an isolated runner. Because that strategy is not in place. Then he went again a few minutes later and he kicked a fine score - because he had no choice. I felt Paddy Durcan broke out well a few times also but he too became isolated. And I feel this is a consistent problem for Mayo.

Lee Keegan breaks and he gets isolated but he sometimes has the capacity to use his speed and talent to kick a point on the run and it looks fine. But where is the support off the shoulder or ahead of the player on the ball? Imagine Kevin McLoughlin playing on the Dublin team. Think of him coming off those passes and working in that pod system with that engine, that decision making facility and his point-taking ability. The damage he would cause! Why does he go missing for periods for Mayo? Because the system is not relentless with Mayo. The dots are not fully joined up. It's as if Mayo blindly trust they will find a way; get that score
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on June 19, 2018, 08:02:09 PM

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/i-wouldnt-want-to-play-on-this-team-paul-galvin-explains-why-mayos-tactics-are-death-to-a-halfforward-36927128.html
Their system of play is death to a half-forward, or an inside forward for that matter.

"So many times last Sunday Mayo defenders were ahead of the ball, killing my space forward players should be operating in.

"As a half-forward who loved playing in the pockets along the 45, I simply wouldn't thrive in this Mayo team. Too many bodies occupying the spaces I'd need to be taking up.

"There's something unnaturally frustrating about getting a ball in a championship game and not being able to hit a pass or execute what you see in your head.

"You can deal with that happening a few times or even for a few games, but over time if you're repeatedly blocked up, caught up, short of options, playing sideways, seeing opportunities but not being able to execute for congestion or lack of awareness, it gets irritating.

"Developing their forward play is a big problem for Mayo. If their backs stayed out of the way they would make things easier for themselves and have a chance of progressing. At the moment, it's hard, physical work just watching them trying to get out of their own way."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-mayo-now-on-a-familiar-but-unforgiving-road-1.3494910
For example, Keith Higgins is one of my favourite players. He is 33 now and still as easy on the eye to watch - fast, dynamic, powerful and a joy to watch, I think. Early in the second half he makes a break out of defence and he is going direct. But who is with him? Nobody. He becomes an isolated runner. Because that strategy is not in place. Then he went again a few minutes later and he kicked a fine score - because he had no choice. I felt Paddy Durcan broke out well a few times also but he too became isolated. And I feel this is a consistent problem for Mayo.

Lee Keegan breaks and he gets isolated but he sometimes has the capacity to use his speed and talent to kick a point on the run and it looks fine. But where is the support off the shoulder or ahead of the player on the ball? Imagine Kevin McLoughlin playing on the Dublin team. Think of him coming off those passes and working in that pod system with that engine, that decision making facility and his point-taking ability. The damage he would cause! Why does he go missing for periods for Mayo? Because the system is not relentless with Mayo. The dots are not fully joined up. It's as if Mayo blindly trust they will find a way; get that score

Maybe you could add ''Just not good enough''. There is no time since 2013 that i felt we were better than Dublin. The effort has been massive and no other county outside Mayo can appreciate this. This group are just unlucky to have came along when Dublin have begun a massive conveyor belt of top quality players coming from a huge financial backing and procession of Home games.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 19, 2018, 08:21:36 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 19, 2018, 08:02:09 PM

Maybe you could add ''Just not good enough''. There is no time since 2013 that i felt we were better than Dublin. The effort has been massive and no other county outside Mayo can appreciate this. This group are just unlucky to have came along when Dublin have begun a massive conveyor belt of top quality players coming from a huge financial backing and procession of Home games.
Yes. Sometimes timing is the problem.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU