Redux Connacht final 2018 thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 18, 2018, 02:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Ros hit 14 wides. If that was Mayo everybody would go to town on the shit forwards. Maybe Ros forwards are not as good as they're supposed to be.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

brianboru00

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 18, 2018, 03:00:31 PM
Roscommon had 2 poor wides and they were from Kilroy and Fintan Cregg and neither of them were just after half time, the rest were from difficult angles and outside the D.

Roscommon didn't score from play in the final 50 minutes and only mustered a one free in that time, they really struggled to create good scoring opportunities.

All Shane Walsh's free's were close to the 21 as were all the points from play in that 2nd half apart from Walsh's 1st point of the 2nd half.

It really doesn't fit the narrative that Roscommon threw the game away, they put themselves in a great position at half time but thats about it. There was a huge gulf in the teams in that 2nd half.

Galway with plenty of work to do going forward but at the beginning of the season if you'd told me we'd go unbeaten in the league and get to the league final and then beat Mayo and win the Connacht title beating the Rossies I'd be absolutely delighted.

Roscommon absolutely threw the game away. Most of the shots taken were absolutely from scoreable positions.
Murtagh + Smith both had shot from round 50 yards that they should really have put over. Devanney took one with his right too quickly under no pressure. Harney took a shot that dropped wide that should really have split the post.

Kilroys miss was straight in front of the posts - terrible miss.
Fintan Creggs worse and by rights should have handpassed into Diarmuid Murtagh who would have been in for goal chance.

Donie Smith snapped at a shot which on another day would have went over. If Roscommon had got three of those 7 opportunities at those times in the game then I think they would have pulled away and won by the three or four points - those are the margins.

Referee: I wouldn't have huge issues with the ref overall. Donie Smith got a free in the second half for absolutely nothing  but then again Galway got a free for nothing in virtually the same spot.
Either the full back or Kyne made third man tackle on Donie Smith for a free in the first half but no black card.  I also counted two other blatant and another not quite as blatant third man tackle on Roscommon runners not punished.

Comer could have had a penalty in the first half with the shot that went wide but that would have been balanced by the foul on Diarmuid Murtagh when (Kyne or O Ceallaigh clearly had his arm around him in the air).
Flynn should possibly have had a yellow card for the incident for Roscommon penalty but I think he shouldn't have gotten yellow for the foul on Kilroy a few minutes earlier.
Comer should either have gotten a red card or nothing - happy enough with that - he may have known what he was doing but the TV pictures are definitely inconclusive so free out is the only correct call there.
Thought Stack should have had a free late in second half - whereas Galway got two softish frees - one with three around the attacker and another where Domnican fouled . D Murtagh should have been given one at the other end but think it wasn't given as it was inside the penalty area.

From a Roscommon point of view - they definitely kicked it away - great position at half time but failed to convert the chances they had in the second half - as I said you would have favoured one from the two 50 yard shots, both Kilroy and Creggs chances and a another out of Smiths 2 and Devanneys one to be converted.

When Galways chances came - they took them.

I don't think Galway have the ability to progress in the same manner as their 1998 team for example. Roscommon need to get a handy run in the qualifiers (they're due a handy draw to be fair) if they're to build but questions would have to be asked of managements changes or lack there of. Particularly the room given to Walsh

Orchard park

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 19, 2018, 09:05:31 AM
Ros hit 14 wides. If that was Mayo everybody would go to town on the shit forwards. Maybe Ros forwards are not as good as they're supposed to be.

Until then post a score against a "strong " team then are not as good as the hype coming from some...

Flat track bullies perhaps

manfromdelmonte

the game was level on 68 mins.
there was very little between the teams except for Roscommon's wayward shooting.

Baggio90

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 19, 2018, 09:41:36 AM
the game was level on 68 mins.
there was very little between the teams except for Roscommon's wayward shooting.

I think there was a big gulf between the sides in the second half when Galway upped the tempo. While Roscommon missed a lot of wides, shot selection was the main issue in the second half, there were only really two efforts you'd classify as bad misses that they really should be scoring, the bulk of them were high % shots taken on when they shouldn't have been taken on.

The shift in the game happened when Galway stopped standing off their men and stated to get tackles and hits in further up the pitch. Roscommon have some nice footballers when you allow them to play but when you get tight or physical with them they don't want to know about it and until they learn to realise how to cope with that and how to play football against that then they will go nowhere. All the big teams will play with an edge.

They have a very young and lightweight midfield right now and even if Compton had gone off I think they would have been cleaned out there as soon as Galway got to the pace of the game. It was a game of two halves but the difference was Galway didn't turn up in the first half whereas I don't think Roscommon have another gear in them from what they showed.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Hound on June 19, 2018, 08:04:36 AM
Interesting analysis by Parkinson, who was at the game.

Said TV viewers were completely misled by Brolly (who said Galway played defensive tactics in the first half, and abandoned those tactics in the second).

Parkinson said Galway's tactics hardly changed at all! The difference was they just played much better in the second half. In the 1st they turned over more ball, and in particular their final ball and shooting was poor. Roscommon attacked relatively slowly with the ball (understandable against the wind), which allowed Galway get players back.

Second half, Galway dominated midfield and were far more clinical. But the set up was the same.

According to Wooly anyway!

This is correct for the most part to be honest, the only real tweak that Galway made to the system was to move from holding at the 45 line to holding further out the pitch at the 65 line. This was part of a more consolidated push up on the Roscommon restarts to ensure that the kick outs had to go long. Galway dominated the middle after Compton departed the pitch and in the second half this was more pronounced.

Roscommon ended up wilting in second half when Galway put on any bit of heat at all, their shot selection and shot execution fell off a cliff. No score from play in the second half is shocking given the chances and a better team than Roscommon would have won the match given how poor Galway were in the first 35 minutes.
Simply put, the Rossies kicked the game away and Galway upped their performance to a more acceptable level than their error ridden first half. Certainly it was not due to some massive change in tactical approach from Galway that I could see, just far better execution and application by the visitors.

At full time Brolly either (a) knew that he was incorrect in his assertion but it suits the narrative he is constantly driving to say otherwise given his prior "analysis" about a happy Roscommon at HT or (b) couldn't see what was actually happening on the pitch and is an absolute spoofer. Maybe it's a little from column a, a little from column b.

Not to flog a dead horse about it but the Sunday Game coverage is so consistently poor that it's hard to take too much heed of the analysis sections. Parsons and O'Shea were better on the evening show giving an insight than the 3 lads actually at the game during the day - who were in a much better position to see the match unfold. That shouldn't be the case.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 19, 2018, 09:05:31 AM

I think their forwards are still pretty good for the most part but their shot selection in the 2nd half was deplorable. Shooting from way out or out on the wing when they had a strong wind behind them. It felt like they thought the wind would do all the work for them rather than working the ball a bit closer to goal.

Ultimately if you lose a half of football 0-11 to 1-1 you probably don't deserve it on the day.

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 19, 2018, 10:17:26 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 19, 2018, 08:04:36 AM
Interesting analysis by Parkinson, who was at the game.

Said TV viewers were completely misled by Brolly (who said Galway played defensive tactics in the first half, and abandoned those tactics in the second).

Parkinson said Galway's tactics hardly changed at all! The difference was they just played much better in the second half. In the 1st they turned over more ball, and in particular their final ball and shooting was poor. Roscommon attacked relatively slowly with the ball (understandable against the wind), which allowed Galway get players back.

Second half, Galway dominated midfield and were far more clinical. But the set up was the same.

According to Wooly anyway!

This is correct for the most part to be honest, the only real tweak that Galway made to the system was to move from holding at the 45 line to holding further out the pitch at the 65 line. This was part of a more consolidated push up on the Roscommon restarts to ensure that the kick outs had to go long. Galway dominated the middle after Compton departed the pitch and in the second half this was more pronounced.

Roscommon ended up wilting in second half when Galway put on any bit of heat at all, their shot selection and shot execution fell off a cliff. No score from play in the second half is shocking given the chances and a better team than Roscommon would have won the match given how poor Galway were in the first 35 minutes.
Simply put, the Rossies kicked the game away and Galway upped their performance to a more acceptable level than their error ridden first half. Certainly it was not due to some massive change in tactical approach from Galway that I could see, just far better execution and application by the visitors.

At full time Brolly either (a) knew that he was incorrect in his assertion but it suits the narrative he is constantly driving to say otherwise given his prior "analysis" about a happy Roscommon at HT or (b) couldn't see what was actually happening on the pitch and is an absolute spoofer. Maybe it's a little from column a, a little from column b.

Not to flog a dead horse about it but the Sunday Game coverage is so consistently poor that it's hard to take too much heed of the analysis sections. Parsons and O'Shea were better on the evening show giving an insight than the 3 lads actually at the game during the day - who were in a much better position to see the match unfold. That shouldn't be the case.
Which lads were on the live show? I haven't had a chance to watch it again yet.
Off the top of my head the only SG lads I can remember recently who actually analyse games properly were Kevin McStay and sometimes Ciaran Whelan.
No doubt there was plenty of shite talk of us "throwing off the shackles" after half time?

An Fhairche Abu

Cooper, Brolly and O'Rourke.
O'Rourke is a complete waste of time, the likes of himself and Spillane should be long gone, bring absolutely nothing to it. Brolly is just there for the controversy angle and he won't be moved anytime soon by RTE as a result but again he is just as worthless in terms of insight and value to the show.

Orchard park

I know brolly Labour's the point but just because it's brolly saying it doesn't mean he is wrong about the "tactics" used by coaches like Tally and Poacher....

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 19, 2018, 11:17:57 AM
Cooper, Brolly and O'Rourke.
O'Rourke is a complete waste of time, the likes of himself and Spillane should be long gone, bring absolutely nothing to it. Brolly is just there for the controversy angle and he won't be moved anytime soon by RTE as a result but again he is just as worthless in terms of insight and value to the show.
Cian Ward on Parkinson's podcast is top class. Oisin McConville also comes across well on the Second Captains podcast.
Now it's true that they have a day to digest the action before commenting on it but still their analysis is a world away from what the Sunday Game produces.

Baggio90

Quote from: Orchard park on June 19, 2018, 11:30:56 AM
I know brolly Labour's the point but just because it's brolly saying it doesn't mean he is wrong about the "tactics" used by coaches like Tally and Poacher....

Nothing wrong with the tactics used by Poacher and Tally.

Carlow are having their best couple of season in God knows how long and now Galway are beginning to get a bit of respect and relative success to previous years.

It's competitive sport, teams should focus on what makes their team more formidable and more competitive and they should not care a jot about what some envious onlookers think. If they think the game should be played a different way then that's up to them but there is no appointee that should be telling others how their teams should be playing.

You show me someone who'd rather have their team play nice football and ship a heavy beating than someone who will set their team up to give them the best chance to win and I will show you a liar. The reason Galway play the way they do is because they have severe deficiencies in ther back lin, it was brought up big time in their visits to Croke Park the last couple of years. They still have those deficienes but the way they play minimises them.

The thing Brolly et all fail to understand that GAA is not an entertainment business, it's competition, it's competitive sport. Defensively set up teams are not one bit a problem in my eye, a far bigger issue is that there is a growing gulf between the top teams and the lesser teams and that is biggest concern in GAA at present.

I hate Dublin being pointed out for the nice football they play - look at the players they have, the resources they have (financially and infrastructure), the facilities they have, the lifestlyes their players are able to live in comparison to teams from smaller counties who may be required to a) actually work and b)move away for work and carry out big commutes to make training. Of course Dublin are going to be another realm to any other team.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Orchard park on June 19, 2018, 11:30:56 AM

Did he analyse correctly at all what happened on the pitch Sunday? No. He just regurgitated the narrative that he had already set out in his column published that morning in the Sindo with very little reference to what was happening on the pitch. What actual value is that to anyone apart from "Brand Brolly"?
I'm tired listening to himself and O'Rourke moaning on, the games are what they are, decent insight is what is needed, they are effectively useless in their role in the Sunday Game.

Jinxy

The worse the game gets as a spectacle, the less likely it is we will see new blood analysing the game.
Before long, the only reason the casual observer will watch the Sunday Game is to see what nonsense Brolly & Spillane come out with.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on June 19, 2018, 12:04:30 PM
The worse the game gets as a spectacle, the less likely it is we will see new blood analysing the game.
Before long, the only reason the casual observer will watch the Sunday Game is to see what nonsense Brolly & Spillane come out with.

I'm afraid what will happen is there will be less coverage of games. And without Coverage you won't be exposed to the Three Stooges!

My 10 year old girl and 9 year old lad who both love to play Gaelic, would never watch a match. The Champions League and presently the World Cup is all they care about. To tell you the truth their Dad is not far behind them!