Connacht Senior Championship 2018

Started by Rossfan, May 02, 2018, 11:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 17, 2018, 11:51:34 PM
Those are almost the most satisfying wins when it seems you are beaten twice but pull it out of the fire. Nightmare first half going in 3 points down after having a big wind at our backs. Standing off Roscommon players and letting them thread little passes around their forward line. No pressure on their kickouts at all. Roscommon then get the first score of the second half to go 4 clear. A comeback didn't really seem on given the circumstances but Roscommon wasted a few chances shooting from bad positions like they expected the wind to do all the work for them. Galway begun to get to grip on things in midfield and slowly worked themselves back into it and hit 6 points on the spin. Roscommon then reeling but get the penalty out of nowhere to go 1 up again. I thought that might swing momentum back in Roscommon's favour but Galway were impressive to be fair in closing the game out. Another 5 points on the spin and had the game gone on longer it seemed more likely that Galway would have extended the winning margin rather than Roscommon make it closer.

Kevin Walsh gets fairly tetchy about any criticism he receives for the way he sets his team out tactically but I can't believe he really thinks the approach they took in the first half with an almost gale at their backs was the right one. I mean they won in the end so he might say the end justifies the means but they put themselves in a hole of their own making. Really the only thing that kept Galway in touch in the first half was some Shane Walsh magic.

Very satisfying is right, had given up at half time. They deserve credit for that second half performance and the way they responded again after the pen hitting 5 points without reply. The bench again made a huge impact which is a stark contract to the last few years.

Kerin will naturally come back in for Wynne whilst Conroy & McHugh will be battling to hold on to their places. McHugh had a poor day but I would probably give him the benefit of the doubt and think there's more to come from him but Conroy will be very lucky to retain his place. He was poor yesterday and he was average enough against Mayo & Dublin in the league final.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 18, 2018, 10:43:59 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 17, 2018, 11:51:34 PM
Those are almost the most satisfying wins when it seems you are beaten twice but pull it out of the fire. Nightmare first half going in 3 points down after having a big wind at our backs. Standing off Roscommon players and letting them thread little passes around their forward line. No pressure on their kickouts at all. Roscommon then get the first score of the second half to go 4 clear. A comeback didn't really seem on given the circumstances but Roscommon wasted a few chances shooting from bad positions like they expected the wind to do all the work for them. Galway begun to get to grip on things in midfield and slowly worked themselves back into it and hit 6 points on the spin. Roscommon then reeling but get the penalty out of nowhere to go 1 up again. I thought that might swing momentum back in Roscommon's favour but Galway were impressive to be fair in closing the game out. Another 5 points on the spin and had the game gone on longer it seemed more likely that Galway would have extended the winning margin rather than Roscommon make it closer.

Kevin Walsh gets fairly tetchy about any criticism he receives for the way he sets his team out tactically but I can't believe he really thinks the approach they took in the first half with an almost gale at their backs was the right one. I mean they won in the end so he might say the end justifies the means but they put themselves in a hole of their own making. Really the only thing that kept Galway in touch in the first half was some Shane Walsh magic.

Very satisfying is right, had given up at half time. They deserve credit for that second half performance and the way they responded again after the pen hitting 5 points without reply. The bench again made a huge impact which is a stark contract to the last few years.

Kerin will naturally come back in for Wynne whilst Conroy & McHugh will be battling to hold on to their places. McHugh had a poor day but I would probably give him the benefit of the doubt and think there's more to come from him but Conroy will be very lucky to retain his place. He was poor yesterday and he was average enough against Mayo & Dublin in the league final.

Yeah Conroy will be doing well to hold onto his place. He's not playing very intelligently this year. Just constantly running down blind alleys and getting dispossessed. Just needs to let the ball go quicker. He hasn't been winning much possession from kickouts either. Only thing that might save him is that Walsh might feel he's getting great impact off his bench from the likes of Cooke and Duggan so might not mess with that but on the balance of play he's probably been the worst performing of the four midfielders. Granted he missed much of the Mayo game after going off and the entire Sligo game.

McHugh had a day to forget yesterday. Missed his frees which is why he's in the team really. They were not easy ones to be fair but he did have the wind behind him. Then burned for pace while defending in the corner. He's probably the slowest forward we have and was exposed for his lack of speed by Murtagh there.

Orchard park

McHugh won't be needed for frees again. If Walsh can not over with his weaker foot do easily, surely he takes with right foot also.....

Manning18

Quote from: Orchard park on June 18, 2018, 11:50:11 AM
McHugh won't be needed for frees again. If Walsh can not over with his weaker foot do easily, surely he takes with right foot also.....

He's a scorer of great frees as opposed to a great free taker though unfortunately. He loses concentration on them too often, such as Sligo where he missed a 13 yard free. Perhaps yesterday might bring him on, he looked much more focused. But even then, his final free, which was for the go ahead score before the penalty, he mishit it and was lucky it snuck over

manfromdelmonte

How was Comer not booked for the cheap shot on the Roscommon goalie?

An Fhairche Abu

I'd agree with a lot of what the Galway posters have outlined here this morning.
For me Galway remain in a place where they still can't be fully trusted to perform on the big days, the first half yesterday was terrible, there's no other way to sugar coat it. I don't think they would have turned that around last year but Roscommon ably assisted their second half renaissance with some shocking wides, any repeat in the next 3 matches will see Galway shipping yet another hammering at the Q final stage.

It couldn't have gone much worse for McHugh yesterday, he was at fault for the Roscommon goal, missed both frees he had to take and was anonymous in general play, a day to forget, he will be under pressure to hold on to his starting place for the next match.
Kerin to come back into the starting fifteen when fully fit is a no brainer.
Sean Andy is very raw yet and I can see him maybe taking a skelping in one of the Super 8 matches but the talent is absolutely there, it shouldn't be forgotten that the fine score from Walsh that kick started Galway in the second half came from a barnstorming run by the full back into the heart of Roscommon territory. It was a moment where it looked like he said to himself: "F how this is going out the pitch, I'm going to try and do something about it". Wouldn't be something you'd want to see him at every day out but it was badly needed yesterday.
Seán Kelly has surprised me no end this year, during the Tyrone league match in Tuam when he was blown out of it in a tackle I thought he wasn't near ready for Senior football but he's been very good this year, mea culpa on that one.
If we were to base it solely on 2018 championship performances and overall form this year, the Galway midfield that starts against the Munster champs should be Flynn and Duggan. Conroy is not going well at all at the minute.
The one massive difference with Galway this year is squad depth from midfield up (it's not as good in the backs though), Cooke is a great option off the bench, Army made a telling contribution yesterday, Varley has done well in the brief time he has got and there were no minutes at all for Michael Daly. Danny Cummins not even in the 26 yesterday.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 18, 2018, 12:48:55 PM

It was a straight red card in any other sport, pretty late and no mitigating circumstances. The goalie should have undergone an independent HIA as well.
#newbridgeornowhere

Itchy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 18, 2018, 09:49:11 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 18, 2018, 09:39:44 AM
Sunday Game's only stat last night was that Roscommon only won 3 out of their 10 kickouts in the second half; What about the other 4 or 5?

Galway kicked 11 points in the 2nd half and had several other shots that went wide, Rossies must have had at least 14 kickouts.

Maybe they meant longer kick outs and the other ones were short kick outs

Which would mean the stat they presented was bollix because a kick out possession stat is all about just that, getting possession. You cannot just remove data from the stat.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 18, 2018, 12:53:04 PM

It was a straight red card in any other sport, pretty late and no mitigating circumstances. The goalie should have undergone an independent HIA as well.

To be fair I think he was 100% going for the ball and the keeper just got there ahead of him. Certainly a booking but I think a straight red would have been pretty harsh.

cornetto

Definitely had a bearing on the game as his kickouts faded rapidly and poor decision making cost roscommon a score and loss of possession when game was in the balance.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: moysider on June 17, 2018, 10:57:17 PM

Congrats the Galway lads.

Good game and would have been a savage second half if Roscommon had a kick in them at the end but they had nothing really - which is surprising. The Compton injury was a big hit for them I think and they got beaten up around the middle in the second half. Harney is good but he looks short of conditioning - I know he's just back from injury. The Smiths seemed to disappear? I know that Galway might have more natural pace but I thought in general Ros legs were shot last 10 mins. Galway looked far better conditioned imo.

Kevin Walsh gets a lot of criticism for being negative. I think he will be pleased his tactics worked today. A lot of pundits saying Galway played their natural traditional game in second half today. They didn't. It was as un-natural as their 1-13-1 se-up in first half. That intensive high pressing game can't be sustained for 70 mins. So a manager decides when to do it. Galway did it today when Ros had thrown their best shots but hadn't pulled away. Galway won pulling up in the end. Roscommon players looked shell-shocked by the literally hands-on intensity of some Galway players. How Bradshaw was let away with bear hugging fellas is beyond belief. There is supposed to be a card for that kind of thing? Checking a player making a run. Coldrick and his team did not have a great day and I thought Ros came out on the wrong side of it, but mostly can have not much complaints about result.

I've watched the game again and Roscommon can have no complaints about the ref, Galway were on the wrong end of the two worst decisions of the day and there was a couple of more frees Galway should have got inside the 21 in the 2nd half.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 18, 2018, 01:04:48 PM

To be fair I think he was 100% going for the ball and the keeper just got there ahead of him. Certainly a booking but I think a straight red would have been pretty harsh.

Na, his fist arrived well after the ball, he knew exactly what he was doing. He was leaving a marker but caught him sweet, was there much difference between that one and Cluxton last week?
#newbridgeornowhere

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 18, 2018, 01:17:18 PM

Na, his fist arrived well after the ball, he knew exactly what he was doing. He was leaving a marker but caught him sweet, was there much difference between that one and Cluxton last week?

Well the Longford player never attempted a play on the ball at all. Comer did so I'd say there is a fair old difference alright. It was a bit late and arguably reckless but there wasn't enough there for a straight red for me. Even the Roscommon players around didn't seem overly bothered by it.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 18, 2018, 01:17:18 PM

Looked like a straight red alright. He somehow avoided any card and then booked moments later. Would have been a very different game if Galway had to play with 14 men.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 18, 2018, 12:49:04 PM
The one massive difference with Galway this year is squad depth from midfield up (it's not as good in the backs though), Cooke is a great option off the bench, Army made a telling contribution yesterday, Varley has done well in the brief time he has got and there were no minutes at all for Michael Daly. Danny Cummins not even in the 26 yesterday.

Poor old Michael Daly is the forgotten man this year so far. Missed the league with injury and it put him well behind everyone else and hasn't been able to force his way back in so far. Not even getting off the bench yesterday. You'd imagine he'd be perfect to take the number 11 jersey if McHugh were dropped but I'd say it's more likely Army would take his place at this stage.