Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

The debate isn't about whether the format can produce drama, of course it can. It's about whether we should go through an exercise of playing 24 games to eliminate 4 teams. The 4 teams that have gone are the 4 that were expected to go. There is very, very little jeopardy in the whole thing.

clarshack

Quote from: bennydorano on June 18, 2023, 07:21:17 PM
Quote from: naka on June 18, 2023, 07:12:36 PM
As good a Sunday as have had in years
Tyrone shitting the bed makes it sweeter too. Sliding doors moment's all day.

Tyrone didn't shit any bed. The ref did his best to get Westmeath the win.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 18, 2023, 07:33:26 PM

Many wondered could we get the last day drama of the NFL in the championship? well today was just like that with plenty of twist and turns plus shock result and it all points to a successful first year of this group format,

RTE missed a trick not showing live league tables.

yellowcard

Quote from: clarshack on June 18, 2023, 07:45:13 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 18, 2023, 07:21:17 PM
Tyrone shitting the bed makes it sweeter too. Sliding doors moment's all day.

Tyrone didn't shit any bed. The ref did his best to get Westmeath the win.

If the Westmeath 13 metre free goes over at the death as it really should have done then Tyrone are sent packing. So it was Westmeath who bottled it. But Tyrone have shown yet again just how mediocre they are since winning that All Ireland 2 years ago. Yet a lot of people still seem to be waiting for them to produce a big performance out of nowhere. I think they are simply playing at the level of their capability.   

From the Bunker

Many wondered could we get the last day drama of the NFL in the championship? well today was just like that with plenty of twist and turns plus shock result and it all points to a successful first year of this group format,

Jez, you have been taken in by this Tippy-Tappy stuff, so you have!

omagh_gael

Just home from the Tyrone game, obv you'll always have a bias when it comes to your own county but that fecking eejit in the middle shouldn't be let near another game this year. So many things to pick from but not giving that penalty was scandalous, you'll never get a more clear cut example of how that rule should be implemented.

Controversial opinion but I think it suits us better to have finished 3rd over 2nd. Would rather Cork, donegal or Kildare away than the 3rd Place teams home.

tonto1888

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 18, 2023, 07:56:57 PM
Just home from the Tyrone game, obv you'll always have a bias when it comes to your own county but that fecking eejit in the middle shouldn't be let near another game this year. So many things to pick from but not giving that penalty was scandalous, you'll never get a more clear cut example of how that rule should be implemented.

Controversial opinion but I think it suits us better to have finished 3rd over 2nd. Would rather Cork, donegal or Kildare away than the 3rd Place teams home.

Second is the position I didn't want to finish in

joemamas

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 18, 2023, 07:50:26 PM

No kidding,
Marty Morrissey was so locked into his usual geography lessons that the clown forgot to inform folks that if Galway missed the last free Armagh would be top of the group.
he only had five minutes to do it as the Tyrone game was well over due to the injury at the end.
I was wondering why the Armagh crowd were going crazy after the final whistle.
Usual amateur hour stuff by him and RTE.

restorepride

Quote from: joemamas on June 18, 2023, 08:28:45 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on June 18, 2023, 07:50:26 PM

No kidding,
Marty Morrissey was so locked into his usual geography lessons that the clown forgot to inform folks that if Galway missed the last free Armagh would be top of the group.
he only had five minutes to do it as the Tyrone game was well over due to the injury at the end.
I was wondering why the Armagh crowd were going crazy after the final whistle.
Usual amateur hour stuff by him and RTE.
And he still can't pronounce Maghery correctly!!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: yellowcard on June 18, 2023, 06:58:23 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 18, 2023, 06:51:45 PM
Anyone claiming Murnin wasn't fouled is talking through their holes. He was exhausted and going nowhere and the defender decided to slap the seem around him from the back anyway.

Rather than Murnin or McQuillan (who tried his level best to get Galway an equaliser) turn your ire on Cooke who decided to play the completely unnecessary ball in the first place or the defender who let it hop over him for Murnin to run onto.

Exactly, McQuillan has been woeful for years and as soon as Armagh scored the free kick to go one up, I nearly knew that he would give Galway another chance. He should be known as The Equaliser as his entire career has been based on bringing the team that is behind back into it. It would have been disgraceful if Galway had scored that last free kick to equalise as he played over a minute and a half added time when there were no stoppages within the 3 minutes injury time. Galway should be looking at why they left Kelly on the field clearly injured for about 3-4 minutes before they replaced him, I had just presumed that they had used up all of their subs when they didn't take off a player clearly not able to walk properly.

Jaysus lads. McKay went in like an utter lunatic. Armagh defenders never learn. When there's a half chance to mel a man they go for it every time.

rrhf

I hate hearing people give out about referees, but it is time to address these problems. Tyrone were so poor anyway but the referee was so potentially decisive  today and we were almost eliminated. Very very poor performance. Don't know who he is not care.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 18, 2023, 08:34:09 PM
Anyone claiming Murnin wasn't fouled is talking through their holes. He was exhausted and going nowhere and the defender decided to slap the seem around him from the back anyway.

Rather than Murnin or McQuillan (who tried his level best to get Galway an equaliser) turn your ire on Cooke who decided to play the completely unnecessary ball in the first place or the defender who let it hop over him for Murnin to run onto.

Exactly, McQuillan has been woeful for years and as soon as Armagh scored the free kick to go one up, I nearly knew that he would give Galway another chance. He should be known as The Equaliser as his entire career has been based on bringing the team that is behind back into it. It would have been disgraceful if Galway had scored that last free kick to equalise as he played over a minute and a half added time when there were no stoppages within the 3 minutes injury time. Galway should be looking at why they left Kelly on the field clearly injured for about 3-4 minutes before they replaced him, I had just presumed that they had used up all of their subs when they didn't take off a player clearly not able to walk properly.

Jaysus lads. McKay went in like an utter lunatic. Armagh defenders never learn. When there's a half chance to mel a man they go for it every time.

He actually leveled his own team mate along with the Galway lad.

restorepride

Quote from: gallsman on June 18, 2023, 07:40:12 PM
The debate isn't about whether the format can produce drama, of course it can. It's about whether we should go through an exercise of playing 24 games to eliminate 4 teams. The 4 teams that have gone are the 4 that were expected to go. There is very, very little jeopardy in the whole thing.
Exactly right. 

imtommygunn

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 18, 2023, 08:34:09 PM

McQuillan should have blown the game before it but you're right Armagh are really indisciplined in their tackling. There's no other team  near the top even close to them in this regard. It really is a major flaw of theirs and I don't understand why they don't focus on it.

Duine Eile

Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2023, 03:49:41 PM
Per Raidio na Gaeltachta McHugh #5 and Comer *14 will not line out for Galway and due to an administrative c*ck up cannot be added to the subs.

Of all the stupid mistakes Galway made today, this had to top the lot. It's going to be Galway Mayo in Salthill next weekend, isn't it! We can't get Tyrone but what's the story with Roscommon? We've played them in Connacht championship but does that matter?