Laois Senior Hurling Championship 2019

Started by The PRO, February 28, 2019, 09:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ogie

Thoughts after the first round?

The gap between the top 4 & second 4 appears to be growing bigger, Portlaoise & Castletown  was of a very poor standard, Abbeyleix & Ballinakill both beaten easily.

Borris Kilcotton with a good performance should have won by more and been out of sight earlier, it will be a big confidence boost for them. Camross will regroup no doubt

Rathdowney Errill were at their ease but looked the class act of the weekend

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Ogie on August 05, 2019, 02:39:20 PM
Thoughts after the first round?

The gap between the top 4 of second 4 appears to be growing bigger, Portlaoise & Castletown  was of a very poor standard, Abbeyleix & Ballinakill both beaten easily.

Borris Kilcotton with a good performance should have won by more and been out of sight earlier, it will be a big confidence boost for them. Camross will regroup no doubt

Rathdowney Errill were at their ease but looked the class act of the weekend

Think it's more a big 3 than a big 4. I don't think Clough-Ballacolla are strong enough anymore to challenge the top dogs.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 03, 2019, 11:46:47 PM
The change of format doesn't help at all. The previous format was very cut & thrust. Awaiting a draw after each round, trying to avoid certain teams etc. This format, to me, has removed that excitement and unpredictability. Back to the dreary plotting and planning ahead.

Under the old format, tomorrow evening you would have Borris, Ballacolla, Castletown & probably Rathdowney going into a hat.  3 of them hoping for Castletown.
Similarly you would have had Camross, Portlaoise, Abbeyleix & probably Ballinakill. 3 of them praying they didn't get Camross.

This new format in it's second year has done nothing to improve standards, interest, excitement or attendance. Time to revert!

The format won't fix much at this time. 3 or 4 years ago Clough Ballacolla, Abbeyleix and Ballinakill were competitive. Hard to see any of them being competitors now and Portlaoise look intermediate standard. Castletown are the only improving senior team with a pipeline but are still a good bit back as yet.

ottoman

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on August 05, 2019, 08:59:02 PM
The change of format doesn't help at all. The previous format was very cut & thrust. Awaiting a draw after each round, trying to avoid certain teams etc. This format, to me, has removed that excitement and unpredictability. Back to the dreary plotting and planning ahead.

Under the old format, tomorrow evening you would have Borris, Ballacolla, Castletown & probably Rathdowney going into a hat.  3 of them hoping for Castletown.
Similarly you would have had Camross, Portlaoise, Abbeyleix & probably Ballinakill. 3 of them praying they didn't get Camross.

This new format in it's second year has done nothing to improve standards, interest, excitement or attendance. Time to revert!

The format won't fix much at this time. 3 or 4 years ago Clough Ballacolla, Abbeyleix and Ballinakill were competitive. Hard to see any of them being competitors now and Portlaoise look intermediate standard. Castletown are the only improving senior team with a pipeline but are still a good bit back as yet.

A bit understated to say Clough Ballacolla were only 'competitive' 3 or 4 years ago. Considering they won it 4 years ago and were pipped by a point in the final 2 years ago. Yes their not the same team but they are well ahead of Abbeyleix and Ballinakill to their credit.

merman

To be fair, that 2017 final is a bit of an outlier as their form in 16 and 18 was very poor. I think they're still contenders but it's fair to see they need an awful lot to go right for them. They did make a League Final do they have a certain depth to their panel, its just whether they can get enough out of their established players in O'Moore Park.

I think Castletown have improved and played some nice hurling last Thursday. They have a good spine and a decent spread of scorers. Portlaoise dragged themselves back into the game and for a spell, seemed to have the momentum but they fell just short. Think they'll stay up though.

I also saw RE and Ballinakill on Sunday and it was clinical from RE. The contest was over after 10 minutes and I really would be worried about Ballinakill. They'll have one more kick in them and could certainly make a quarter-final still but they're on a downward trajectory and with their underage setup now formally aligned with Abbeyleix, it seems fair to suggest that amalgamation isn't completely dead just yet.

I wasn't at the games on Saturday. Camross minus Keenan and Dowling were always likely to feel the pressure and from what I've heard, BK spurned then chances to have made it more comfortable in the first half. Looking at the programme, they have some serious firepower. Themselves and RE look to have very settled line-ups and its hard to see any weaknesses therein.

Abbeyleix and CB went almost to script it seemed. We probably knew Abbeyleix would target this game and it took CB a while to get on top. When they did, they had the individual hurlers to close it.

One further observation, a couple of years ago I was sure the 8-team championships were hurting some of the lower-ranked Senior A sides. Having seen both senior A and senior games over the last week, I think the gap has closed between the weaker senior teams and the senior A...the problem is, I think this is due to declining standards at senior rather than any massive improvements below.

Just something to keep an eye on moving forward.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: ottoman on August 06, 2019, 09:30:41 AM

A bit understated to say Clough Ballacolla were only 'competitive' 3 or 4 years ago. Considering they won it 4 years ago and were pipped by a point in the final 2 years ago. Yes their not the same team but they are well ahead of Abbeyleix and Ballinakill to their credit.

Fair enough - CB were one of the form teams up to about 2 years ago. They were poor last year and look to be ageing. Their senior success was built on the back of a run of very strong minor teams which has dried up in the last few years as you would expect from a fairly small rural club. No disrespect intended and hopefully things turn around. The general point I was making is that there are fewer strong senior teams in the last couple of years due to a drop (temporary I would imagine) in the form of some of the better clubs. I also agree they are a good bit stronger than Ballinakill or Abbeyleix and still have plenty of very strong hurlers. Even if you include CB in a top 4, there is a chasm down to the next level of Ballinakill, Portlaoise, Abbeyleix and to a lesser extent Castletown at this stage. Not that it was ever any different in Laois mind you. Historically in any given year there have been a max of 4 really competitive teams.

ottoman

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on August 06, 2019, 11:29:47 AM
Quote from: ottoman on August 06, 2019, 09:30:41 AM

Fair enough - CB were one of the form teams up to about 2 years ago. They were poor last year and look to be ageing. Their senior success was built on the back of a run of very strong minor teams which has dried up in the last few years as you would expect from a fairly small rural club. No disrespect intended and hopefully things turn around. The general point I was making is that there are fewer strong senior teams in the last couple of years due to a drop (temporary I would imagine) in the form of some of the better clubs. I also agree they are a good bit stronger than Ballinakill or Abbeyleix and still have plenty of very strong hurlers. Even if you include CB in a top 4, there is a chasm down to the next level of Ballinakill, Portlaoise, Abbeyleix and to a lesser extent Castletown at this stage. Not that it was ever any different in Laois mind you. Historically in any given year there have been a max of 4 really competitive teams.

Agree, this year it does look like a shoot-out between only B/K, R/E and Camross to see who claims the crown. However, there has been far less competitive years in Laois hurling down through the decades. This year I think Rathdowney/Erill will have too much for the rest.

blueandwhite1

Sense of deja-vu in Camross losing their first game again this year. I'm sure it will have a galvanizing effect. Essentially, all the rest of their matches will be like knock out for them. This gave them an edge over Rathdowney Errill last year. It is highly likely that RE and BK will top the two groups. Are the semis an open draw?

Ogie

Thoughts before round 2 gents?
Clough Ballacolla v Borris Kilcotton - should be the game of the weekend, don't understand people here writing off CB, I still think they have serious quality throughout & they will be itching to right the beatings of the last two years, I expect them to throw the kitchen sink tonight at BK, who themselves will be heartened by there last win, if the serious firepower clicks again (interesting to see who picks up Aaron dunphy at full forward) this evening will be hard to live with but I think they'll face a big battle, have a sneaky feeling for CB. Hope not!

Ballinakill v Portlaoise - both teams trying to recover from poor first round showings, again I think there's more in Ballinakill who were put to the sword early by a quality Rathdowney Errill, I think they'll have regrouped and target this game to avoid relegation, Ballinakill for me

Camross Abbeyleix
Camross have regrouped and gone back old school and old heads in  as only they do best, Abbeyleix will suffer the backlash

Rathdowney Errill v Castletown
Castletown too will be full of confidence after first round but their facing a much better team this time, Rathdowney Errill don't slip up in these games - Rathdowney Errill

Silkyskillssunshinee

I'll go with Borris-Kilcotton to edge the game tonight, Ballinakill to have the experience to beat Portlaoise, Camross to hammer Abbeyleix and Rathdowney-Errill to win but Castletown to give them a game of it.

merman

Fancy Borris/Kilcotton tonight. I actually think it'll be their defence that wins it as I think CB will be determined to keep out goals. The BK forward line is rapid and I just can't see CB living with them without a high free count and dropping bodies back. With all eyes on Aaron Dunphy, I could see PJ Scully posting a huge score from play and placed balls.
At the other end, Picky Maher and Willie Dunphy would need massive performances and I dont see the likes of Matthew, Butch or Stephen Finan allowing that.
BK by 8 but after a battle.

I'm going to go against the grain and back Portlaoise to beat Ballinakill. I think Ballinakill are in big trouble. A poor league and they were completely blown out of the water the last day. They've regressed and I think if Portlaoise can limit Cha to 4/5 points then they might have the firepower to come out with the win.
Portlaoise by 2 in a low-scorer.

Camross should beat Abbeyleix. Abbeyleix might feel they had their chance against CB but I have a niggely feeling it might not be as one-sided as some think. Camross without Keenan are vulnerable. Abbeyleix kept out goals against CB and if they can replicate that feat, they might just have a chance.
I'll go with Camross by 5 but I think it'll be close enough for a long time.

Rathdowney/Errill and Castletown might tell us a little lore about this group. RE dismantled B/kill the last day and I can't see it being as comfortable this weekend. I think they'll win but Castletown could well cause them troubles and if memory serves, they did beat them in the league. RE are, of course, a different animal with their county contingent back and I do see them as the team to beat this year.
RE by 6.

Keyser Söze

All sensible stuff above.
I'd go with

Clough Ballacolla to pull one over on B/K (and it could stand to B/K in the long run). Clough Ballacolla need to beat one of the big boys again to prove to themselves they can win a county final.

I think Ballinakill will be under serious pressure to beat Portlaoise. Way more pressure on Ballinakill. I think they are the type of team that Portlaoise will relish playing. Portlaoise will struggle against a team with a spread of quality hurlers. They can handle a team that aren't as balanced around the edges. Portlaoise for me.
(And if so, this group could come down to scoring difference in the wind up!)

Cannot see anything bar a Camross win. Despite losing the last day they showed they aren't reliant on Zane. Expect their freetaking to be tidier too. However, these are the games they haven't really been getting themselves up for over the last few years. I don't think it will be a massacre.

Likewise, Castletown won't live with the R/E attack. I think there was 20+ plus points in it last year,  that's probably not a true reflection on the gap, but would expect it to creep towards double figures with R/E winning.

Clough Ballacolla by 5
Portlaoise by 3
Camross by 8
Rathdowney Errill by 12
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

burdizzo

Good call on the Ballacolla game, anyway! And I'd agree w/ your hunch re. Portlaoise. In a way, I'd like to see them stay up, give them something to build on.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Borris-Kilcotton were not up for it tonight at all. Hard to call anything from these group stages. We'll only know how these teams rank up when we get to the knockout stages.

Clough-Ballacolla have a great chance at topping the group now. Doubt Camross or Borris-Kilcotton are all that worried though, they'll likely play one of Castletown, Ballinakill or Portlaoise in the quarters. That won't faze either in the slightest.

merman

Fair play Keyser. Didn't see that Clough/Ballacolla result coming after the first round of games. Puts them back in the picture. Doubt Borris-Kilcotton will be overly concerned and they'll make a semi-final at the very least.

Was at the three matches on Saturday and the quality was pretty poor. Ballinakill were better than I expected and Portlaoise a little poorer. They got their scores a little easier and they were physically dominant for long periods. Portlaoise are facing a relegation Play-off and I'd be very worried they'll be going in off the back of a serious thumping from Rathdowney/Errill.

Camross had enough to see off a spirited Abbeyleix team. Abbeyleix look to be trying to do the right things but some of their shooting was woeful. I've said it before, they just don't carry any kind of goal threat. Their full-forward line can't win their own ball and it means they're forced into shooting from outside their comfort zones.
Camross will be satisfied that they've won and realistically in a quarter-final at worst. Andrew Collier back in the forwards looks a good move and their full-back line was excellent. Changes like that can make a huge difference and I think Andrew will bring great athleticism to the forward line. It might free up some of the attention that had been reserved for Ciaran.

Rathdowney/Errill were impressive enough in dismissing Castletown. They didn't need to be at their best but they just look so strong all over the field. Madden in the goals will only get better and he has a rock solid defence in front of him. John Purcell looks at home at corner back and how couldn't he when there's an intercounty-level half-back line in front of him!
Up front, they have scores coming from everywhere. Tadhg Dowling looks as fit as I've ever seen him and James Ryan, John Keane and Paddy McCane supplement the power and precision of Roddy King, Mark Kav and Paddy Purcell.
Going to take a hell of a team to stop them.