What changes to Dublin team/squad this year can/should we expect??

Started by DUBSFORSAM1, January 02, 2008, 01:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

From Mayo Advertiser

QuoteWith the Christmas celebrations still a near memory it's time to get back to the action on the GAA fields across the country. In Ulster the McKenna Cup kicked life back into the inter-county action earlier this week and on Sunday Mayo will get their 2008 campaign under way in Ballinrobe when they line up against NUIG in the first round of the FBD Connacht League.

The crowds came out in force last year to welcome back John O'Mahony to the fold in Ballinode against Sligo IT and this Sunday the dedicated are sure to come along to Flanagan Park in Ballinrobe to witness the start of the TD's second year in charge of the side, in his second coming as Mayo boss.

It will be a somewhat depleted Mayo side who take to the field as O'Mahony, Tommy Lyons and Kieran Gallagher run the rule over the fringe players in the open-ended squad as Mayo will be forced to line out without a number of players who will be displaying their wares for their colleges in the FBD League, McKenna Cup, O'Byrne Cup and McGrath Cup as they get ready for Sigerson Cup action in the near future.

O'Mahony sees the league as an extension of the trials that have been ongoing in the county for the past number of months as Mayo look to pick up the pace from a fairly uneventful championship run last year.

"It's a new year and new start, the players have been working on gym programmes for the past number of months and we had our first proper outdoor session on Wednesday night, so it really starts from here on in. We'll be missing about 14 players from the panel because they will be involved with their colleges but it will give us a chance to see what is out there. We've watched a lot of lads in club championship action and had a number of trial games and this is I suppose an extension of the trials, albeit in a more public arena. It's a competition and that's something for them to get excited about."

It will be a new-look Mayo side who take to the field on Sunday in Ballinrobe and it will be a few weeks before O'Mahony gets to have his full squad together but he is looking forward to seeing some of the fringe players in action on Sunday.

"It gives them a chance to show themselves in competitive football, because the colleges are all deep in preparation for the Sigerson so they'll be well keyed up for the game. It will be a stepping up in intensity from the trial games. The first time I'll be able to get the full squad together is just before the start of the league (which throws in for Mayo away to Derry, the scene of their championship elimination in 2007 on Saturday February 2 at 7pm) which is not ideal, because it doesn't really let the side settle into a pattern and to play as a unit. We'll also be playing against a number of lads in the FBD league who we would be wanting to have a look at ourselves, but it's a competition and we'll be out to win."

With the league only a month away and the early season national attention that it brings, O'Mahony is hopeful that he will be able to call on a number of Ballina players to take part in the competition as they prepare for their All Ireland Club semi-final clash with Nemo Rangers on Sunday February 24. "We're talking with Ballina about having some of the lads available for the early games, but we're in no way going to interfere with the their preparations for the All Ireland semi-final which is a massive game for the club."

Players who are expected to make an appearance in the FBD League include a few returning faces such as James Gill and Pat Kelly, with Knockmore full back John Brogan, Shrule's David Geraghty, Charlestown's Tony Mulligan and Westport net minder Tom Higgins.

Senior absentees from the side will include Conor Mortimer who will be in O'Byrne Cup action with DCU, and Barry Moran will be sporting the colours of UL in the McGrath Cup. One of last year's major bright points was the displays of Castlebar Mitchels' Tom Cunniffe in the qualifiers when he was thrown into the cauldron but he will also be unavailable for Mayo duty as he lines up for GMIT in the competition.

Mayo face three weekends of action over the month of January starting against NUIG on Sunday, the following week they they will entertain Sligo in Charlestown and wrap up the FBD League against Roscommon in Ballinlough on Sunday January 20 against John Maughan's Roscommon, leaving them with a two-week break before the NFL gets under way on Saturday February 2.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Barney on January 04, 2008, 08:06:42 AM
Dublin will win nothing with Pillar. Period.

Its amazing - we hear all year long about Dublin players are overrated, they are no good, Whelan is useless, Brogan is only average and yet now the conclusion seems is that the players are good enough it is just the manager that is holding them back...

You couldn't make it up if you tried.....

his holiness nb

Ah but wouldnt it be dull without it Dubsforsam!!

Heading to the nell tomorrow?
Ask me holy bollix

DUBSFORSAM1

Unfortunately not Holiness.....am back over in Edinburgh working for the moment on another consulting project (have to get them out of the way before the summer).....the Blue Stars game will have to ease the withdrawel symptoms until the league starts....

INDIANA

unfortunately Pillar and co are tactically suspect.

2005- put lally wing back against tyrone having never played him there at any time in the past.
2006- took off shane ryan when he was having a stormer
2007- left casey on too long- and brought on cosgrove for some reason.

i don't believe other selection panels make that many mistakes.

Gnevin

Quote from: Barney on January 04, 2008, 08:06:42 AM
Dublin will win nothing with Pillar. Period.
3 provincial titles are nothing? But i agree with wont get the big prize with him but its very hard for the CB to justify getting rid of the most successful manager in 12 years 
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

DUBSFORSAM1

DUBSFORSAM1

Would like to see Micko win the All-Ireland with Dublin... ;D

Grantsman

Didn't he win the last Leinster Final for ye when he told Bailey in the K Club the way to play the ball into the Laois half back line and the changes ye needed to make to win Sam. In his book he said that himself and that after their chat Bailey said the job was his if he wanted it. But, (after thinking about it if you don't mind) he decided to go back to Laois.  I would ask him for the 100 grand back !  I don't know which of them was worse, O'Dwyer for his involvement in discussions with Bailey or Bailey for going behind Pillars back.  I was in O'Mahoneys builders there one day and a fella behind the counter was giving it loads about Pillar and how bad he was, next thing after the Leinster Final he was singing his praises.  I think he is OK and ye will have a fair go at it this year.

heffo

Quote from: Grantsman on January 04, 2008, 05:43:49 PM
Didn't he win the last Leinster Final for ye when he told Bailey in the K Club the way to play the ball into the Laois half back line

Indeed. The record between Laois and Dublin in head to head games certainly indicates that we require the tactical assistance of a Kerry mercenary to tell us how to beat ye.

Grantsman

Heffo is back !! The "County Board Man"  (Fixture man as he admitted himself) is back  :)  Now, I can only deduce that facts are annoying him.

INDIANA

yeah the fact that laois can't beat dublin at senior level despite having a fantastic record in leinster at underage level. i'll never understand what happens to footballers in laois time and again they produce some of the best minors in the country and you never hear of them again.i was sitting near liam kearns at the recent vincents v portlaoise game and you could just see how disappointed he was in the manner of their defeat and how they just packed it in with 20 to go.
I don't believe Kerry are a great team in comparison to others they've had- they are extremely good though and probably 10% better than anything else. it will be interesting to see how hungry they are though and that might give others a chance. I don't think we're tight enough at the back though and because of that i think we'll fall slightly short again.

orangeman

It sounds as if another Leinster is only a minimum requriement this year DFS ?

Are you saying that Dublin will not be fully prapared for Louth by leaving a bit for later in the summer ?? Dangerous ??? Or are Dublin now so confident in their own ability having taking three Leinsters in a row ??

BallyhaiseMan

Dublin are very very close to that breakthrough.

id like to see them Trying Shane Ryan at Centre Half back

Darren Magee and Whelan at midfield

and pick Bryan Cullen at number 15 and give him a free role .

Leaving space for Vaughan and Keaney inside.

Like to see Vaughan contribute more from play,he has the ability we just need to see it.

Obviously i dont want to see any of this when you "dirty jackeens" come down to Cavan to play under Lights in the home of football in a month or two.