Maddie McCann

Started by ExiledGael, May 14, 2007, 08:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennistheMenace

Then again most people won't advertise the fact that they have left their children alone or with a certified childminder.

SidelineKick

I don't think its "common practice" as you put it though.  Obviously there will inevitably be bad parents out there but I wouldn't think its as common as you might suggest. Or maybe I'm being naive!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

balladmaker

I was in the Citywest Hotel over Easter, and noticed the couple at the restaurant table next to us had a baby monitor on the table with them.  So I assume they had left a child or children back asleep in the bedroom.

That alone horrified me, just the thought of doing it.

Gnevin

Quote from: balladmaker on May 08, 2009, 04:49:34 PM
I was in the Citywest Hotel over Easter, and noticed the couple at the restaurant table next to us had a baby monitor on the table with them.  So I assume they had left a child or children back asleep in the bedroom.

Why its no different than being at home or do you sit and watch your baby 24/7 ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Gnevin on May 08, 2009, 04:51:13 PM

Why its no different than being at home or do you sit and watch your baby 24/7 ?

What? When they are at home, they are in a secure environment.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Gnevin

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 08, 2009, 04:53:06 PM

Wasn't there a case how too long a go where a ladder was put up to the window, someone broke in and someone attempted to run off with the child?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Gnevin on May 08, 2009, 04:58:20 PM

Wasn't there a case how too long a go where a ladder was put up to the window, someone broke in and someone attempted to run off with the child?
Never heard that, but the key word's in bold. People can attempt what they like, but deterrants help. Leaving your child alone in a hotel bedroom, and using a monitor as a deterrant is dodgey.

No offence Gnevin, but part of good parenting is providing a lifestyle, and environment where a child feels safe. If they can't feel safe in their own home, it will have a drastic affect on their pysche. If you have children, or when you have children don't paint the picture of life to them, that you do here. Sure make sure that they are not wide eyed and niave, but find a middle ground.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

longball

Quote from: Maiden1 on May 08, 2009, 11:42:28 AM
One of the first things I thought on this case was how the f&*k could you be so stupid to go out for a meal and leave your 3 children alone and leave the patio door open so that you wouldn't have to walk round the house but I know a girl who is a final year medical student you apparently is a genius, top of her class and all that but she has a very innocent view of the world.  She is from the south with a fairly strong accent but she would think nothing of taking a short cut home through the shankill road, get lost and stop and ask people for directions without realising she is in serious danger.  I sometimes think there may be some sort of inverse relationship between academic intelligence and common sense.

Some of the smartest people I know, in terms of booksmart, have no common sense at all. I still blame them thou I mean very very stupid thing to do are they still suspects?
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Gnevin

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 08, 2009, 05:07:39 PM

Never heard that, but the key word's in bold. People can attempt what they like, but deterrants help. Leaving your child alone in a hotel bedroom, and using a monitor as a deterrant is dodgey.

No offence Gnevin, but part of good parenting is providing a lifestyle, and environment where a child feels safe. If they can't feel safe in their own home, it will have a drastic affect on their pysche. If you have children, or when you have children don't paint the picture of life to them, that you do here. Sure make sure that they are not wide eyed and niave, but find a middle ground.
These parents where a  maximum 1000 foot from the child. Don't you  ever put the young ones to bed and wash the car, cut the grass all while keeping an ear out?

balladmaker

QuoteWhy its no different than being at home or do you sit and watch your baby 24/7 ?

GNEVIN, are you on the wind up?  A bit of a difference between your child sleeping in their own bedroom, while you watch TV downstairs, and sleeping in a 1000 plus room hotel with hundreds of strangers knocking around, some of whom could access your hotel room with little problem.

Maybe you would do the same, but I wouldn't.  No I don't watch the child 24/7 but I do make sure I know they are in a secure environment 24/7.  An hotel bedroom, isn't exactly secure.

Would you leave a 10 grand watch lying open on a bed in a hotel bedroom?  Or would you lock it in a safe?  A child is priceless, so why would you leave them alone in an unsecure room, with just a monitor.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Gnevin on May 08, 2009, 05:09:57 PM

These parents where a  maximum 1000 foot from the child. Don't you  ever put the young ones to bed and wash the car, cut the grass all while keeping an ear out?

Thats some set of luggs you have on you if you can hear over a mower!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Gnevin

Quote from: balladmaker on May 08, 2009, 05:10:02 PM
QuoteWhy its no different than being at home or do you sit and watch your baby 24/7 ?

GNEVIN, are you on the wind up?  A bit of a difference between your child sleeping in their own bedroom, while you watch TV downstairs, and sleeping in a 1000 plus room hotel with hundreds of strangers knocking around, some of whom could access your hotel room with little problem.

Maybe you would do the same, but I wouldn't.  No I don't watch the child 24/7 but I do make sure I know they are in a secure environment 24/7.  An hotel bedroom, isn't exactly secure.

Would you leave a 10 grand watch lying open on a bed in a hotel bedroom?  Or would you lock it in a safe?  A child is priceless, so why would you leave them alone in an unsecure room, with just a monitor.
Your house is only fractionally more secure .

Gnevin

Quote from: SidelineKick on May 08, 2009, 05:13:53 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on May 08, 2009, 05:09:57 PM

Thats some set of luggs you have on you if you can hear over a mower!
Child monitors are cordless now a days or is cutting the grass bad parenting too now a days?

Doogie Browser

There is a subtle difference between cutting the grass and having a couple of pints in a hotel bar or in a restaurant Gnevin, particularly when you are effectively patrolling the entrance to your home when in the garden.

Gnevin

Quote from: Doogie Browser on May 08, 2009, 05:20:25 PM
There is a subtle difference between cutting the grass and having a couple of pints in a hotel bar or in a restaurant Gnevin, particularly when you are effectively patrolling the entrance to your home when in the garden.
My house has a back door and a side window.

Who said anything about pints?

If the kids are over 7 or 8 they'll get a lot further than 1000 foot and constant ear shot of the parent on a average day.