Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: thebigfella on February 23, 2011, 12:15:41 PM
So what have we learned here?

some of my closest mates are teachers and openly admit it

That's the first step.

Cold tea

Is it not just repetition, repetition - when I was doing my GCES's, A-Levels some teachers got us to mark each others homework.  ::)

John Martin

Quote from: Cold tea on February 23, 2011, 12:21:58 PM
Is it not just repetition, repetition - when I was doing my GCES's, A-Levels some teachers got us to mark each others homework.  ::)
Using peer assessment is good practice. It reinforces the learning from the previous lesson.

Hardy

And it gives sir a break for a smoke.

Cold tea

And stops him having to do it himself.  ::)

John Martin

Well there is no point in both the teacher and the students doing it.

ludermor

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 23, 2011, 01:16:26 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 22, 2011, 11:09:19 PM
Well obviously if it's a requirement for what you want to do but then if it isn't, and there are equally good jobs where degrees are not needed, it doesnt matter, does it.

Jobs that require degrees usually pay better than ones that don't.
Really? do you know what trademen were earning the last 10 years ( i know there is feck all work now but that is the case with lots of jobs!). You could have 10 degrees and not earn in a year what some of them were earning!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ludermor on February 23, 2011, 01:05:06 PM
Well obviously if it's a requirement for what you want to do but then if it isn't, and there are equally good jobs where degrees are not needed, it doesnt matter, does it.

Really? do you know what trademen were earning the last 10 years ( i know there is feck all work now but that is the case with lots of jobs!). You could have 10 degrees and not earn in a year what some of them were earning!
:D That's a big a myth as the one doing the rounds now that there is no work for anyone...anywhere!
Plenty of work for anyone who thinks outside the box and gets off their holes to do something about it..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 23, 2011, 01:22:47 PM

:D That's a big a myth as the one doing the rounds now that there is no work for anyone...anywhere!
Plenty of work for anyone who thinks outside the box and gets off their holes to do something about it..
So there's no reason why anyone should be unemployed?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Cold tea

Quote from: John Martin on February 23, 2011, 12:52:49 PM
Well there is no point in both the teacher and the students doing it.

The student isn't getting paid to do it.

John Martin

Good point but the teacher is getting paid to teach and if it reinforces the learning as I said earlier then they are doing their job.

By the way I think teaching is handy but them so are a lot of professions. What difference does it make if it's handy as long as the job gets done?

J70

Personally, there is no sum that I would consider adequate compensation to put up with the bullshit and stress of trying to control and teach entitled, obnoxious, immature kids. I wonder how long some of the dismissive boys here would last at it?

ludermor

I can only go on the wages i know for a fact ( aas i signed off their sheets!!) that worked for our crowd as well as shuttering lads getting 250/shift for the guts of 10 years.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ludermor on February 23, 2011, 02:52:25 PM

I can only go on the wages i know for a fact ( aas i signed off their sheets!!) that worked for our crowd as well as shuttering lads getting 250/shift for the guts of 10 years.

The guys doing the signing off were the fellas on the big bucks   ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: tyrone girl on February 23, 2011, 11:25:02 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 22, 2011, 11:02:00 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 22, 2011, 10:41:50 PM
No, why would it?

Because if you want to work in certain fields then you need a degree, and it's becoming a more common requirement than it used to be. Our company doesn't hire anyone without a degree and I certainly wouldn't want to work with someone that doesn't have one.

That comment makes u sound like a p***k. I have a degree so am i qualified enough to tell u that  ::) ::) ::)

No, it makes me sound like I want to work with people that are qualified to be here and not have to babysit anyone. I've had to hire people at this place before and I can tell you that anyone who sends in a CV that says they don't have a degree usually gets dismissed out of hand unless they have some other major selling point, but it had better be good. This company has tried hiring under qualified people before and it's been a disaster. Ask someone to do a half hour job and it takes him three days to figure it out. F*ck that sh|t, we've got work to do.