Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

Holiday means you don't work !!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

eggy bread

I was referring to holiday probably from a students perspective, I am not a teacher, my contract stipulates 25 days annual leave, does a teachers stipulate then 60 or 70 or whatever all the non-term time adds up to and can none of this non term time not be used for staff training?  They seem to yap enough if you upset them by taking your child out of school for a day whilst on an overseas holiday but all parents can whistle and arrange child care at the drop of a hat when they require "training".

Milltown Row2

teachers usually start back on the last week of August for training days. as for the staff training and arranging child care, i'd say the majority of teachers are parents and have to arrange child care also!!!

for the non teachers who complain on this board, try teaching and then you'll understand that you need those 8 weeks off in the summer. if you didn't get those holidays you wouldn't get the teachers.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gaffer

Quote from: eggy bread on June 05, 2010, 07:16:35 PM
I was referring to holiday probably from a students perspective, I am not a teacher, my contract stipulates 25 days annual leave, does a teachers stipulate then 60 or 70 or whatever all the non-term time adds up to and can none of this non term time not be used for staff training?  They seem to yap enough if you upset them by taking your child out of school for a day whilst on an overseas holiday but all parents can whistle and arrange child care at the drop of a hat when they require "training".

No they don't . I f you decide to keep your child off school for whatever reason, why would teachers get upset?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gaffer on June 05, 2010, 08:18:11 PM

No they don't . I f you decide to keep your child off school for whatever reason, why would teachers get upset?

Teachers personally don't care, but with the syllabus being so tight kids are being taught right up to the last day. i think you'd be pissed off if your child lot out on part of a topic for the sake of a cheaper holiday, that would say more about a parents selfishness
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

eggy bread

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 05, 2010, 08:24:10 PM

Teachers personally don't care, but with the syllabus being so tight kids are being taught right up to the last day. i think you'd be pissed off if your child lot out on part of a topic for the sake of a cheaper holiday, that would say more about a parents selfishness

I personally can't afford family overseas holidays so it doesnt bother me in that respect, but it is a constant school policy complaint.  I work in I.T supporting customers - we all need training to keep up to date with new technologies and all do it on our own time or individually, I think there would be some outcry if the company said this Friday we are all training so support yourselves, and for the individual who stipulated try teaching, no I don't want to, if you do that is your choice.

pintsofguinness

I was referring to holiday probably from a students perspective, I am not a teacher, my contract stipulates 25 days annual leave, does a teachers stipulate then 60 or 70 or whatever all the non-term time adds up to and can none of this non term time not be used for staff training? They seem to yap enough if you upset them by taking your child out of school for a day whilst on an overseas holiday but all parents can whistle and arrange child care at the drop of a hat when they require "training".
Imagine having to look after your own child or arrange alternative care, an outrage.

I think teachers have nothing to cry about but I do have sympathy for them as a lot of parents seem to think they're there to raise the children.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: eggy bread on June 05, 2010, 08:31:00 PM

I personally can't afford family overseas holidays so it doesnt bother me in that respect, but it is a constant school policy complaint.  I work in I.T supporting customers - we all need training to keep up to date with new technologies and all do it on our own time or individually, I think there would be some outcry if the company said this Friday we are all training so support yourselves, and for the individual who stipulated try teaching, no I don't want to, if you do that is your choice.

so your beef about the complaining teachers should be redirected to the Education Board really. are you annoyed that teachers get that that many holidays?

eggy bread

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 05, 2010, 08:40:57 PM

so your beef about the complaining teachers should be redirected to the Education Board really. are you annoyed that teachers get that that many holidays?

No I am annoyed when my children bring home anote to say next Friday is staff training and school will be closed and I the annoyance to booking a days leave and working late Monday to Thursday to ensure my work is up to date.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: eggy bread on June 05, 2010, 08:48:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 05, 2010, 08:40:57 PM

No I am annoyed when my children bring home anote to say next Friday is staff training and school will be closed and I the annoyance to booking a days leave and working late Monday to Thursday to ensure my work is up to date.
looking after your own children, an outrage

eggy bread

I don't send my childern to school to be looked after I send them to be educated.  Out of school time I manage perfectly well raising my family thank you. Have you many kids yourself ...?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: eggy bread on June 05, 2010, 08:58:29 PM
I don't send my childern to school to be looked after I send them to be educated.  Out of school time I manage perfectly well raising my family thank you. Have you many kids yourself ...?
doesnt sound like it if you're bitching about having to look after them for a few hours.

eggy bread

I was enquring on a teachers thread why staff training days are in term time.  I have no issues looking after my children at anytime the issue is the hassle of getting leave, which sometimes is difficult at short notice - you never answered my - have you many kids yourself ..?

eggy bread

Also as stipulated parents send their school to be educated, you are seriously undermining a highly skilled professional group by inferring they are or they are seen as childminders.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: eggy bread on June 05, 2010, 09:03:56 PM
I was enquring on a teachers thread why staff training days are in term time.  I have no issues looking after my children at anytime the issue is the hassle of getting leave, which sometimes is difficult at short notice - you never answered my - have you many kids yourself ..?
no, we've none, we're in process of adopting at the minute, why?

I certainly don't think teachers are childminders or anything of the sort, a lot of parents however seem to think they are there to raise children.