Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazer

Quote from: delboy on January 16, 2009, 11:57:01 AM
As far as i know the industrial action is primarily to bring in the same conditions as exists in other parts of the UK, i don't see how anyone could have a problem with teachers here playing on a level playing field to their counterparts in other parts of the UK.
Some of the oponions on here seem to suggest though that people would be happy to see teachers getting a rough deal here simply because they are in jobs with a degree of permancy greater than their own which to be honest is a bit petty and childish.

How many other jobs here the same as the equivalent job in other parts of the UK, The pay N.Ireland is lower in general, originally because our cost of living was supposedly lower than that in the mainland UK, however, thats not the case anymor, its a case of supply and demand - market factors reault in the Northern Ireland being lower - If the teachers want better pay, they can go and move to the UK, the same as everyone else has to if the want the same level as pay in their cunterparts in England

I think its actually a good thing that the industrial action is taking place as people will have no sympathy for the teachers given the fact that the country is (or will be from 23 Jan) in a Recession. They are lucky to have permanent jobs and to top it off they have benefits frew other jobs have, such as a final salary pension scheme. Unlike everyone else, anyone teacher near to retirement age doesnt have to worry about how their pension scheme is performing, whereas anyone else near retirement age, their pension scheme they have saved into all their lives is probably almost worthless.

Teachers have benefits the rest of us don't, so maybe they should stop moaning, appreciate how lucky they have it in the current economic situation and get on with the job of teaching our kids instead if threatening industrial action!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

delboy

Quote from: Lazer on January 16, 2009, 01:19:02 PM
As far as i know the industrial action is primarily to bring in the same conditions as exists in other parts of the UK, i don't see how anyone could have a problem with teachers here playing on a level playing field to their counterparts in other parts of the UK.
Some of the oponions on here seem to suggest though that people would be happy to see teachers getting a rough deal here simply because they are in jobs with a degree of permancy greater than their own which to be honest is a bit petty and childish.

How many other jobs here the same as the equivalent job in other parts of the UK, The pay N.Ireland is lower in general, originally because our cost of living was supposedly lower than that in the mainland UK, however, thats not the case anymor, its a case of supply and demand - market factors reault in the Northern Ireland being lower - If the teachers want better pay, they can go and move to the UK, the same as everyone else has to if the want the same level as pay in their cunterparts in England

I think its actually a good thing that the industrial action is taking place as people will have no sympathy for the teachers given the fact that the country is (or will be from 23 Jan) in a Recession. They are lucky to have permanent jobs and to top it off they have benefits frew other jobs have, such as a final salary pension scheme. Unlike everyone else, anyone teacher near to retirement age doesnt have to worry about how their pension scheme is performing, whereas anyone else near retirement age, their pension scheme they have saved into all their lives is probably almost worthless.

Teachers have benefits the rest of us don't, so maybe they should stop moaning, appreciate how lucky they have it in the current economic situation and get on with the job of teaching our kids instead if threatening industrial action!

Lower cost of living, pull the other one, excluding London NI is probably the most expensive region of the UK to live in, being on an island with all those associated additional transports costs means that we pay more for basic commidities than those in mainland UK (and always have done).

So teachers should sod off and move to england because they get paid more over there, personally i like nationally agreed paydeals when it comes to something as fundamentally important as education. Why should NI potentially lose out on the best homegrown teachers to the rest of the UK simply because the system here doesn't give them parity with their colleaugues in the rest of the UK.

As for the pensions teachers pay about 6 odd pecent gross into their pension and they receive 1/80 of their final salary per year of service, which as far as i can gather in line with most public workers be they teachers, firefighters or nurses.  

Gnevin

Quote from: delboy on January 16, 2009, 02:06:27 PM

Lower cost of living, pull the other one, excluding London NI is probably the most expensive region of the UK to live in, being on an island with all those associated additional transports costs means that we pay more for basic commidities than those in mainland UK (and always have done).

So teachers should sod off and move to england because they get paid more over there, personally i like nationally agreed paydeals when it comes to something as fundamentally important as education. Why should NI potentially lose out on the best homegrown teachers to the rest of the UK simply because the system here doesn't give them parity with their colleaugues in the rest of the UK.

As for the pensions teachers pay about 6 odd pecent gross into their pension and they receive 1/80 of their final salary per year of service, which as far as i can gather in line with most public workers be they teachers, firefighters or nurses.  
I love the additional transport costs B/S it cost penny's to ship goods around the world and maybe a euro to truck from the UK if they don't land the good directly here .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

delboy

Quote from: FermGael on January 16, 2009, 12:18:58 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 16, 2009, 12:08:52 PM

Fermgael's initial point about rewarding 'teachers' as opposed to those who receive financial recognition for noting down when a school bus is being used would be a minor bugbear of mine. But, unfortunately, it is next to impossible gathering conclusive evidence that one teacher's excellence excels another with subject, academic level of group and age differences.

That's pushing it. Nurses get a rough deal.

Agreed it is hard to define an "excellent" teacher but it is something that needs to be explored.

Nurses get an awful rough deal. 

FYI the starting salary for adult nurses is between £20,225 and £24,800 a year with extra allowances paid to those living around London.

Teachers starting salary is £20,627 so no great difference in terms of monetary reward and in most cases the nurse will be on a better starting salary.

delboy

Quote from: Gnevin on January 16, 2009, 02:09:04 PM
Quote from: delboy on January 16, 2009, 02:06:27 PM

I love the additional transport costs B/S it cost penny's to ship goods around the world and maybe a euro to truck from the UK if they don't land the good directly here .

That is such a crass statement, pennys to ship goods around the world  :D :D you couldn't make that stuff up, ohh wait you just did  ;D

naka

Quote from: winsamsoon on January 16, 2009, 09:55:33 AM
Saffron i tell you what to do lad. Come into a school for a 5 or 6 week period and sit in classrooms and observe the job a teacher does.(now granted there are exceptions but isn't everyone different) I mean come into a really challenging school with pupils that have special needs and you will know at the end of the 6 week period why they are asking for more money and why they only work a certain amount of hours. It would be physically and sometimes emotionally draining. You are also forgetting the huge amounts of background work that must be done ie at home . So if you haven't experienced it then i would suggest you keep on the down low.
am fed up to the teethof the fact that crap teachers can stay in a job for life and are guaranteed a pension after it, most of my mates are losing their jobs left right and centre but hey no teachers are, also our pensions are fked but hey teachers are guaranteed theres, teachers have it sussed

Tonto

Quote from: naka on January 16, 2009, 02:37:28 PM
Quote from: winsamsoon on January 16, 2009, 09:55:33 AM
Saffron i tell you what to do lad. Come into a school for a 5 or 6 week period and sit in classrooms and observe the job a teacher does.(now granted there are exceptions but isn't everyone different) I mean come into a really challenging school with pupils that have special needs and you will know at the end of the 6 week period why they are asking for more money and why they only work a certain amount of hours. It would be physically and sometimes emotionally draining. You are also forgetting the huge amounts of background work that must be done ie at home . So if you haven't experienced it then i would suggest you keep on the down low.
am fed up to the teethof the fact that crap teachers can stay in a job for life and are guaranteed a pension after it, most of my mates are losing their jobs left right and centre but hey no teachers are, also our pensions are fked but hey teachers are guaranteed theres, teachers have it sussed
Would you prefer that teachers were also losing their jobs?

Hmm, as someone else said, it appears to be jealousy of teachers' job security which drives a few people's petty hatred of the profession.

IMO, teachers in NI do deserve equality with their counterparts in the rest of the UK; what's sauce for the goose... :-\

FermGael

It's true.  there is a massive amount of job security in teaching.
I love my job and could not imagine myself doing anything else.
I did not get into it for the wages.
I could have done something else and made more money but i wanted a work life balance.

Quote from: Tonto on January 16, 2009, 02:41:06 PM

Hmm, as someone else said, it appears to be jealousy of teachers' job security which drives a few people's petty hatred of the profession.

Nail hit on the head.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

maggie

Im insulted.....

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Donagh

Sure the lazy fecks have been off most of the week for 'mid-term' and it not even the end of February. Think I might become a teacher when I retire.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Farrandeelin

Just got notified last week that I won't have a job in September due to Batt O'Keeffe's cutbacks. And Deel Rover and FL MAYO I'm only after reading this thread again ::) (typical me not to read the bloody replies) and I'm teaching in Dublin...

And just a sidenote to all you moaners who say teaching is a handy life?? Why didn't you become a teacher? B'fhéidir nach raibh an Ghaeilge agaibh? Or maybe you couldn't handle the thought of having more than 20 children in front of you all day. Perhaps you just didn't like spending 'all year' in school when you were in school as a child yourselves.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

pintsofguinness

QuoteAnd just a sidenote to all you moaners who say teaching is a handy life?? Why didn't you become a teacher?
I like to work for my money.

(sorry about the job)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Gnevin

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 20, 2009, 07:23:02 PM
Just got notified last week that I won't have a job in September due to Batt O'Keeffe's cutbacks. And Deel Rover and FL MAYO I'm only after reading this thread again ::) (typical me not to read the bloody replies) and I'm teaching in Dublin...

And just a sidenote to all you moaners who say teaching is a handy life?? Why didn't you become a teacher? B'fhéidir nach raibh an Ghaeilge agaibh? Or maybe you couldn't handle the thought of having more than 20 children in front of you all day. Perhaps you just didn't like spending 'all year' in school when you were in school as a child yourselves.
I'd rather 20 kids than , 1,000's  of end users moaning when something goes balls up