Six counties to lose 2 more players to the proper Ireland team

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, May 18, 2011, 09:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

These pieces arent ten years old, and they're only 2 of many

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/13384280.stm
'A leaked email from a Police Service of Northern Ireland officer also spoke of the "unfortunate anti-social/sectarian behaviour of a number of our fans at the Scotland game".'

UTV News - Anger at sectarian songs after NI game
15 Feb 2011 ... The Irish Football Association has condemned the actions of a group of Northern Ireland fans who were captured on film singing sectarian

red hander

Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 18, 2011, 01:55:19 PM
I agree with Nigel: "If you are born in the country you should be representing that country."

Can't get any more black and white than that, wonder will he be telling young Caolan Lavery to push on back to Canada?

Or Maik Taylor to f**k off back to Germany via England, or Iain Dowie, or Kinglsey Black etc.  Maybe they could tell Lawrie Sanchez to bugger back to Venezuela via Blighty too, Camp to decamp?  He just doesn't get it, does he, that nationalists from the six counties consider themselves Irish, not 'northern' Irish (whatever that is), southern Irish, eastern Irish, or western Irish ... they're Irish

michaelg

As someone from NI who follows the NI football team I can understand and appreciate why a young nationalist might prefer to opt for the Republic team.  The anthem for one ought to be changed. 

However, a point that has not yet been fully acknowledged in this thread is that as yet there have been no moves made by the FAI to attract young non-nationalists to opt for the ROI team.  As such, the FAI's approach could be construed as being sectarian in nature.  Given the attempts made to remove sectarianism from NI football, the approach adopted by the FAI does little to help improve the situation further and help make NI football more representative of everyone in NI society.

Maguire01

Quote from: michaelg on May 18, 2011, 10:27:20 PM
As someone from NI who follows the NI football team I can understand and appreciate why a young nationalist might prefer to opt for the Republic team.  The anthem for one ought to be changed. 

However, a point that has not yet been fully acknowledged in this thread is that as yet there have been no moves made by the FAI to attract young non-nationalists to opt for the ROI team.  As such, the FAI's approach could be construed as being sectarian in nature.  Given the attempts made to remove sectarianism from NI football, the approach adopted by the FAI does little to help improve the situation further and help make NI football more representative of everyone in NI society.
Eh?

And let's not forget, the FAI have had no problem attracting players born outside the island over the years!

Capt Pat

So how good are the two defectors mentioned are they going to be top class internationals.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Olaf

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 18, 2011, 11:03:45 PM
So how good are the two defectors mentioned are they going to be top class internationals.

Ferguson's good I hear , a greater loss than Gibson no doubt who is poor.

Don't know about Devine.

Olaf

Quote from: haranguerer on May 18, 2011, 05:04:49 PM
These pieces arent ten years old, and they're only 2 of many

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/13384280.stm
'A leaked email from a Police Service of Northern Ireland officer also spoke of the "unfortunate anti-social/sectarian behaviour of a number of our fans at the Scotland game".'

UTV News - Anger at sectarian songs after NI game
15 Feb 2011 ... The Irish Football Association has condemned the actions of a group of Northern Ireland fans who were captured on film singing sectarian

I was referring to the booing of Catholic players which I specifically took you up on in repsonse to the matters raised in your initial post.

Applesisapples

Quote from: laoislad on May 18, 2011, 09:55:53 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 18, 2011, 09:50:31 AM
Ah poor wittle nigel, no-one wants to take his calls!
Gurning aul shite.  :D

"I've left voicemails, text messages and made random calls to Shane (Ferguson) but at no time did we get a reply."

While I think it's great these players want to play for the Republic, I think this guy  Shane Ferguson could have least answered or returned a call to Worthington to tell him of his intentions.
Manners cost nothing and I think it reflects poorly on Ferguson.
He's only a youngster probably no credit on the oul phone.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Canalman on May 18, 2011, 09:59:00 AM
Time to ditch GSTQ as the "anthem" methinks.
Not only that but the whole behaviour of the "fans" their union flags, party songs and the flying of the unofficial loyalist Ulster flag, but even at that any one who considers them selves Nationalist or Republican would still have issue playing for "Our Wee Country".

Applesisapples

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 18, 2011, 01:20:52 PM

NI poised to lose Devine and Ferguson to Republic
Northern Ireland are set to see another two of their young players switching allegience to the Republic of Ireland.

NI boss Nigel Worthington has been informed that Preston North End defender Daniel Devine has opted to play for the Republic.

Worthington believes Shane Ferguson intends making the same move after the Newcastle United defender failed to reply to his calls.

A Fifa ruling allows N Ireland-born players to opt for the Republic.

Fifa rules include a clause allowing players to change nationality once before they play a senior competitive match if they were born "on the territory of the relevant association".

The Good Friday Agreement of 1998 provided for Northern Ireland-born people to claim either British or Irish nationality.

Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy, Marc Wilson, Daniel Kearns and Paul George have already made the move to the Republic.

There is a good production line here and to lose them is disappointing. Quote Nigel Worthington

Teenagers Devine and Ferguson, who played for the senior team in a friendly against Italy in 2009, have also represented Northern Ireland at youth level.

A disappointed Worthington wants further clarification on the eligibility ruling.

"It needs to be more black and white - to put all the indecision to bed once and for all," he said.

"It's frustrating and disappointing that a lot of time, energy, commitment and finance goes into these players over a period of years and then when they are 17, 18, 19 or even 20, there is the opportunity for them, because of the ruling, to vacate to another country.

"There is a good production line here and to lose them is disappointing.

"I've left voicemails, text messages and made random calls to Shane (Ferguson) but at no time did we get a reply."

So is the so called "Free State"  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::) now the Proper Ireland  ;D . This gets so confusing. What is it with people from the 6 counties (Gaoth Dobhair Abu is from Donegal so question not aimed at him) supporting the crowd they tell to "take it down from the mast Irish traitors"?
Time to move on from this boring theme you take in to every debate...Fcukin Boring.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 09:46:02 AM
Quote from: Canalman on May 18, 2011, 09:59:00 AM
Time to ditch GSTQ as the "anthem" methinks.
Not only that but the whole behaviour of the "fans" their union flags, party songs and the flying of the unofficial loyalist Ulster flag, but even at that any one who considers them selves Nationalist or Republican would still have issue playing for "Our Wee Country".

Why?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Applesisapples

Quote from: deiseach on May 18, 2011, 01:58:14 PM
Quote from: AQMP on May 18, 2011, 01:11:33 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before but can someone from the South declare for the North?

I'm sure it's been asked before but I still don't know the answer. I think the answer is no. It's NI that is the special case, not the RoI
GFA changed all that any one on the Island can be British or Irish and hence declare for either. Just on that the recent trend was started when the IFA insisted that Catholics with an Irish Passport needed to get a British one before they could represent NI...Something tells me it may have been Darren Gibson who was at the centre of this.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 09:50:57 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 18, 2011, 01:20:52 PM

NI poised to lose Devine and Ferguson to Republic
Northern Ireland are set to see another two of their young players switching allegience to the Republic of Ireland.

NI boss Nigel Worthington has been informed that Preston North End defender Daniel Devine has opted to play for the Republic.

Worthington believes Shane Ferguson intends making the same move after the Newcastle United defender failed to reply to his calls.

A Fifa ruling allows N Ireland-born players to opt for the Republic.

Fifa rules include a clause allowing players to change nationality once before they play a senior competitive match if they were born "on the territory of the relevant association".

The Good Friday Agreement of 1998 provided for Northern Ireland-born people to claim either British or Irish nationality.

Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy, Marc Wilson, Daniel Kearns and Paul George have already made the move to the Republic.

There is a good production line here and to lose them is disappointing. Quote Nigel Worthington

Teenagers Devine and Ferguson, who played for the senior team in a friendly against Italy in 2009, have also represented Northern Ireland at youth level.

A disappointed Worthington wants further clarification on the eligibility ruling.

"It needs to be more black and white - to put all the indecision to bed once and for all," he said.

"It's frustrating and disappointing that a lot of time, energy, commitment and finance goes into these players over a period of years and then when they are 17, 18, 19 or even 20, there is the opportunity for them, because of the ruling, to vacate to another country.

"There is a good production line here and to lose them is disappointing.

So is the so called "Free State"  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::) now the Proper Ireland  ;D . This gets so confusing. What is it with people from the 6 counties (Gaoth Dobhair Abu is from Donegal so question not aimed at him) supporting the crowd they tell to "take it down from the mast Irish traitors"?
Time to move on from this boring theme you take in to every debate...Fcukin Boring.

Not as if you lads can't get off your fckn boring theme in eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy debate.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.