Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: clarshack on September 03, 2022, 09:48:21 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on September 03, 2022, 09:09:39 PM
so the gaa has  problem with psychopaths infiltrating it

That has always been a problem.

That's what makes it good

J70

Quote from: befair on September 03, 2022, 04:56:17 PM
Refs need to take a stand themselves; striking for one weekend in one county isn't enough.
We also need a culture change; any regular forumites will know how often the ref is blamed. A team could shoot forty wides, and still the ref will be picked on.
Refs are human and make mistakes, like anyone else. A particular problem is the tackle, so often it's a judgement call as to whether it is a foul or not.

As I said on the Brolly thread, you see it here every summer with the supporters of certain Ulster counties. Win, lose or draw, the ref is invariably biased against them. Sickens my hole. Withholding their services on a widespread organized basis is definitely an option worth considering. Attitudes need to change and quickly.

Milltown Row2

It's crazy sometimes, recently did a juvenile game and the score line was something like 8 goals 24 points to 7 points ... I had to send off the coach because he was giving off..

Now when I spoke to him I said I don't shout at you during the game I don't tell you how to run your team of tell them how to play... I was going to leave it at that but he couldn't help himself and he ranted again!

But he insisted that I was at fault! You can't teach stupid
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eire90

some ejits seem to think its always the refs fault that their team is losing these people really need an ego check.

clarshack

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 04, 2022, 01:35:15 PM
It's crazy sometimes, recently did a juvenile game and the score line was something like 8 goals 24 points to 7 points ... I had to send off the coach because he was giving off..

Now when I spoke to him I said I don't shout at you during the game I don't tell you how to run your team of tell them how to play... I was going to leave it at that but he couldn't help himself and he ranted again!

But he insisted that I was at fault! You can't teach stupid

you would assume it was the manager of the team getting well beat but with the amount of nut jobs in society these days you wouldn't even know for sure as some guys would still be going mental at the ref for them only winning by 20 and not 30 points.

ONeill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 04, 2022, 01:35:15 PM

Now when I spoke to him I said I don't shout at you during the game I don't tell you how to run your team of tell them how to play...

Be deadly craic if you did.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RedHand88

A family member of mine would complain about something the referee did even if their team won convincingly. Just enjoy the victory ffs.

Eire90

The people shouting abuse at the ref are probably seen good upstanding citizen community good guy types blind eye  on them when it comes to this

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 05, 2022, 03:35:44 PM
A family member of mine would complain about something the referee did even if their team won convincingly. Just enjoy the victory ffs.

As would a family member of mine. Start effing and blinding him from the word go. Every single decision scrutinised to the last. Unless it went his way of course.  ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 06, 2022, 09:13:24 AM

As would a family member of mine. Start effing and blinding him from the word go. Every single decision scrutinised to the last. Unless it went his way of course.  ;D

Does he complain about his own team giving away daft frees? I never hear that in fairness, always silence from the vocal ones
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2022, 09:30:32 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 06, 2022, 09:13:24 AM

Does he complain about his own team giving away daft frees? I never hear that in fairness, always silence from the vocal ones

I always say to players refs are human too (I know, I know, that's questionable!) and they will make mistakes and won't change their minds if you argue with them. If you argue though there's a real chance you won't get that 50/50 call at a crucial time. It's frustrating sometimes because of inconsistency but it's what it is. To take it beyond shouting a few expletives though is crazy shit and that attitude needs to change. Has to happen the whole way from bottom up but I sometimes think the parochial nature of the GAA prohibits that unintentionally as every win at every level between bitter rivals can be seen as a huge thing.

shawshank

Any physical assault on a ref/linesman etc needs dealt with very harshly. Period!! However, I have played/attended/coached for yrs and you could well say its into well over a thousand games. So lets put this into perspective. I have never seen a ref or linesman physically assaulted I am glad to report. verbal abuse yes and there needs to be a over arcing approach to this from HQ to deal with the aggressive verbals, otherwise anything else won't work.

Just realised the worst assault I saw was the ref who did Louth/Meath on RTE from Tyrone. Thats the worst I have seen.

Milltown Row2

BC1 talks about the biggest problem we have,  the inconsistency between referee's, I attend as many games as I can when not refereeing, they all do it slightly different, and we know that and yet we still complain, I was that player or manager that always wanted the calls to go my way, who doesn't.

You are not going to get the same ref every week... but you can at the very least have a chat to the ref and ask some questions (before the game) and ask him what is he looking for or what does he generally pull up on, some might not say anything as it then can be used against them lol. But at least you've asked and he'll be aware that he should stick to that..

In football you can be a complete tit if you stuck to the rules hard and fast, crossing the sideline by a millimeter, player retreating from the D and the ball going nowhere near him but pulling it up as the player (not interfering with play) any tackle not on the ball is a free (bar shoulder to shoulder) overcarrying (the bain of many)

There are other parts in the game that can be pulled up for regularly but its a stop start game, easy for the ref but very poor viewing, it's not the duty of the referee to keep the game flowing but the advantage rule at least allows us to make it flow a lot better

As for coaches/players/supporters giving ref's verbal abuse, good luck with the 50/50 calls

Rossfan

It would help if players/coaches/supporters read the oul playing rules of football and hurling (although probably no point in the latter as the rules are usually ignored :P)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM