NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derryman forever

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 26, 2024, 09:44:32 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 25, 2024, 10:48:39 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 25, 2024, 07:53:29 PMMr C. Whelan says that Harte has to win Sam with Derry

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0125/1428627-whelan-harte-has-to-deliver-an-all-ireland-to-derry/

Outside of Dubs and Kerry, the hardest job to come in to. All Ireland final appearance will be seen as progress.

I think there's more expectation in Armagh than there is in Derry to be honest.
There's a hope in Derry rather than expectation.
I'd say the aim in Derry right now is to retain Div1 status and win the first round in Ulster and nothing more.
I certainly haven't heard expectations of an All-Ireland, but more conversations around us being in with a chance and rather tentative opinions on the appointment of Harte.
Of course, we want to go better than the last 2 seasons but no doubt if we do well in Div1 and early rounds of championship its inevitable that AI will become part of the conversation.

I would agree.
The posters and commentators, from other counties appear more occupied with Derry's AI chances than any Derry people I have spoken with.
I will be very Happy, if Derry maintain Div 1 status and get past the first championship game against Donegal. These are the big Tests for Mickey Harte.
Then I will reassess my hopes.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Derryman forever on January 26, 2024, 09:58:20 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on January 26, 2024, 09:44:32 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 25, 2024, 10:48:39 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 25, 2024, 07:53:29 PMMr C. Whelan says that Harte has to win Sam with Derry

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0125/1428627-whelan-harte-has-to-deliver-an-all-ireland-to-derry/

Outside of Dubs and Kerry, the hardest job to come in to. All Ireland final appearance will be seen as progress.

I think there's more expectation in Armagh than there is in Derry to be honest.
There's a hope in Derry rather than expectation.
I'd say the aim in Derry right now is to retain Div1 status and win the first round in Ulster and nothing more.
I certainly haven't heard expectations of an All-Ireland, but more conversations around us being in with a chance and rather tentative opinions on the appointment of Harte.
Of course, we want to go better than the last 2 seasons but no doubt if we do well in Div1 and early rounds of championship its inevitable that AI will become part of the conversation.

I would agree.
The posters and commentators, from other counties appear more occupied with Derry's AI chances than any Derry people I have spoken with.
I will be very Happy, if Derry maintain Div 1 status and get past the first championship game against Donegal. These are the big Tests for Mickey Harte.
Then I will reassess my hopes.

I'd have to agree with all of this as well. Over the last few years, there is a renewed hope in the county that we can compete at the top level again. But that is all it is - there is no expectation. Mickey has a very talented bunch of footballers at his disposal. What'll he do with that is the million-dollar question. No one I chat to is talking about us expecting to win All Ireland's. We are all just enjoying the rollercoaster that's Derry football at the minute. Staying in Div 1 has to be Derry's first priority. Losing against Donegal wouldn't be the end of the world and it's all being tee'd up for a McGuinness ambush. Bit of football to be played between now and then!

trueblue1234

Think that's a bit mad. You've hit a golden period. They can pass very quickly. Would you not want to try and make hay now when you can.
If you don't have an expectation to challenge for the AI now, then I doubt you ever will. I know it's the done thing to play things down, but I simply don't believe the AI isn't fairly central to most Derry wans thoughts for the, especially after Glens victory. Derry, Kerry or Dublin. The winners will come from there.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rossfan

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 26, 2024, 10:47:24 AMDerry, Kerry or Dublin. The winners will come from there.

That's probably the general feeling all over the Country.
Maybe if Galway have a full bill of health and don't do anything silly.....
Other than that getting to Quarter Finals is as much as the rest can realistically expect (viewed at in January anyway)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

OakLeaf

I think Derry have a chance at an all Ireland over the new few years, but a lot of things would have to go right for it to happen. Most importantly, staying relatively injury free.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 25, 2024, 01:41:03 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 23, 2024, 02:17:33 PMDoesn't sound like Galway have a clean bill of health either with Silke & McDaid out with broken feet and Sean Kelly still out too. Plenty of rumours about Glynn & Tierney too but we'll know come the weekend and neither Hernon or Cooke will be around this year either.

Even Comer said on Parkinson's podcast that he probably won't play the entire league. I'd say they are just hoping to get enough points to stay up and hopefully have everyone fit for championship. The injuries sunk them last year and they are already carrying a few into this year

Got to tread carefully with Comer, out of the last 6 seasons he's been fit twice and no coincidence they were easily Galways best years in 2018 and 2022. Would like to see them experiment and at full forward during the league without him, need a plan B in case he gets injured. Too much talk of O'Currain on podcasts, the lad looks like he has all the attributes to succeed at this level but he's only 20.

Armagh18

Surely Derry people want to at least hit the same level as last year if not improve- would say staying in Division 1 and getting to another semi final would be a decent season. No shame in losing to Kerry or Dublin as long as you don't get a hiding but no reason Derry couldn't beat one of them. Don't think they'll be judged too much on Ulster given they've a couple of wins behind them although I'm sure Mickey will want to win it.

tbrick18

Quote from: OakLeaf on January 26, 2024, 11:12:45 AMI think Derry have a chance at an all Ireland over the new few years, but a lot of things would have to go right for it to happen. Most importantly, staying relatively injury free.

Yeah I
Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 26, 2024, 10:47:24 AMThink that's a bit mad. You've hit a golden period. They can pass very quickly. Would you not want to try and make hay now when you can.
If you don't have an expectation to challenge for the AI now, then I doubt you ever will. I know it's the done thing to play things down, but I simply don't believe the AI isn't fairly central to most Derry wans thoughts for the, especially after Glens victory. Derry, Kerry or Dublin. The winners will come from there.

We'll be trying to win every game, no doubt about that. And I'm sure privately the team and management will have aspirations.
But realistically, we've had good players and teams before and we've 1 All Ireland to our name.
We'll need luck with injuries (one early injury against Kerry last year definitely affected the whole performance), a kind draw would have been nice but we're on the tough side of the Ulster, we need everything to click at the right time in the big games and we need Harte to deliver what he was obviously brought in to do.
Are we good enough to win it? I think yes, but we were good enough last year in my opinion too.

We are hopeful, just not expectant and they hype that's being circulated outside the county isn't replicated inside the county even with Glen's success.

tbrick18

Quote from: JoG2 on January 25, 2024, 09:42:26 PM

Are there any scoring forwards in that bog outside Bellaghy ?

Derry has scoring forwards, midfielders, defenders and a keeper...this is modern football.

Outside of the provincials, Leinster and Munster being a cake walk for Dublin and Kerry respectively, the scoring averages from last year are

Derry 18.5
Dublin 19.5
Kerry 22 (Kerry's 5-24 hammering of Louth, 16 points more than any of their other game total skews their total)

So Dublin and Kerry are lauded for the potent forwards they have, Derry lambasted, yet Derry are in and around the same average.. That's modern football, defenders score and forwards defend.

In Ulster, Derry averaged 22.5 points / game

Agreed.
We can get scores from 1 - 15 on this team. But people see the big scores mcguigan racks up and say if it wasnt for him we'd have nothing.
Not the case, but equally, any team would really miss a player of mcguigan's standard. Take clifford out of Kerry and they wouldnt score as much, does that mean they don't have the forwards?
I think our attacking play against Kerry in the SF last year should show where we are in this regard.

Maroon Manc

Derry aren't far away, need to add greater depth to that playing panel as they've had a great run of it the last 2 years injury wise.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on January 26, 2024, 11:12:09 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 26, 2024, 10:47:24 AMDerry, Kerry or Dublin. The winners will come from there.

That's probably the general feeling all over the Country.
Maybe if Galway have a full bill of health and don't do anything silly.....
Other than that getting to Quarter Finals is as much as the rest can realistically expect (viewed at in January anyway)

Between Derry, Kerry, Dublin for me also as main All-Ireland contenders in 2024. Galway would then be next in line should as you say keep the main players fit and in form (Sean Kelly, McDaid, Comer,Walsh)

Mayo and bit of run will be talked up by the media but defensively the habit of conceding goals in championship matches remains and their panel isn't as good as it was 2012-2017 when at least one All-Ireland was there to be won.

imtommygunn

It's a big season for Joyce in Galway I think. Galway must be very frustrating to support because I think the talent is there to challenge Kerry / Dublin but I just doubt that they will on past evidence. Seem to be missing a few mind you which won't help.

seafoid

Injuries are far more important under the new system with the condensed schedule and no recovery time.
Galway were banjaxed last year.
Some other team or teams will be this year.
It's normal to project forward the teams that did well last year at the beginning of the new season. There is no other relevant form. Galway were heavily favoured until they fell out of the championship. Now Derry get that treatment.
The big questions surround Dublin and Kerry. They have won 8 of the last 9 all Irelands. Are they both good enough to get to the final again this year? hard to know.
Of the challengers the question is who is the strongest? The league should tell us something

statto

Quote from: seafoid on January 26, 2024, 04:22:21 PMInjuries are far more important under the new system with the condensed schedule and no recovery time.
Galway were banjaxed last year.
Some other team or teams will be this year.
It's normal to project forward the teams that did well last year at the beginning of the new season. There is no other relevant form. Galway were heavily favoured until they fell out of the championship. Now Derry get that treatment.
The big questions surround Dublin and Kerry. They have won 8 of the last 9 all Irelands. Are they both good enough to get to the final again this year? hard to know.
Of the challengers the question is who is the strongest? The league should tell us something
If Derry pick up those type of injuries they are in big bother.If they keep everyone fit I think they have a decent chance of all ireland but not sustaining injuries to keymen two years in a row is unlikely especially given the heavy schedule.

Blowitupref

Mayo team to play Galway on Sunday

Colm Reape - Knockmore
Jack Coyne - Ballyhaunis
David McBrien - Ballaghaderreen
Rory Brickenden - Westport
Paddy Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
Sam Callinan - Ballina Stephenites
Eoghan McLaughlin - Westport
Bob Tuohy - Castlebar Mitchels
Stephen Coen - Hollymount Carramore
Fergal Boland - Aghamore
Jack Carney - Kilmeena
Jordan Flynn - Crossmolina
Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
Tommy Conroy - The Neale
Ryan O'Donoghue - Beal and Mhuirthead
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose