Dissertations

Started by 118cmal, May 13, 2009, 01:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

118cmal

whiskeysteve

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

J70

Very satisfying afterward though.

SidelineKick

I actually don't know what all the fuss is about. I did bits and pieces of mine here and there, did almost an entire chapter whilst drinking and still got a healthy 65!  Think I had a very slack tutor though who just agreed with everything I wrote.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

tyrone girl

Yep i was same did bits and pieces as went along and rushed the last of it near the end , ended up with a nice wee 69. Same thing think the tutor went easy on me for some unknown reason

tyrone86

Quote from: tyrone girl on May 13, 2009, 10:07:33 AM
Yep i was same did bits and pieces as went along and rushed the last of it near the end , ended up with a nice wee 69. Same thing think the tutor went easy on me for some unknown reason

That's one way to pass the course

Mario

As stressful as they can be, they have to be looked on as handy marks that you probably wouldnt score in an exam

SidelineKick

Quote from: tyrone86 on May 13, 2009, 10:09:00 AM
Quote from: tyrone girl on May 13, 2009, 10:07:33 AM

That's one way to pass the course

:D :D :D
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

tyrone girl

DownFanatic

Had to have mine done for the last Friday in March back in 2007. Started it on the Monday and for the rest of the week I spent 12 hours a day in that wee private room on the 2nd floor of the main library in Queens.

It had to be in by 4 o'clock on the Friday afternoon. I just about got the references and appendices done by 3.30pm. I then had to sprint down to Botanic to get it printed and binded. Managed to get it handed in a 3.58pm, if my memory serves me correctly.

Never met my dissertation supervisor once. I sent him a few emails and I think that was the height of it. Ended up with a 68.

In all honesty my dissertation was shite. It wasnt even properly referenced in the Harvard style and the chapters werent even set out the way the guidelines stated. Suprisingly nobody in my class failed the dissertation and I dont even think anybody got below 50.

Queens had a very strange way of doing things in my opinion.

Mario

I found it quite an unfair process, i had an old fashioned professor as my supervisor who lectured back in the day when students actually enjoyed studying their subjects, he would make me do everything myself, as he should of. Other students would get their supervisors to do half of their project, it used to really piss me off!

the scenic route

Handed my dissertation in february there.

Similar to Downfanatic all came down to the wire with me. I had done a bit the previous summer for it because my supervisor was a legend but the she left on sabbatical and the fella i heard i got was a bit of an anti christ avoided meeting him at all costs and my dissertation slowly took a back seat, never game him a draft heard one fella showed him it and he said
"if you go home re-write it, change your structure completely and quantify your results in a way that makes sense i might give it a chance" this was a week before the hand in deadline.
so naturally i avoided him got a relative to proof read a deaft who worked in the field i did my dissertation he said it wasnt bad so hopefully i can scrape over the 60 line.

But yes dissertations are the devil i have a bit of a mini dissertation on at the minute had bout a month to do it there although predictably i have left it to the very last minute,
"Underneath that thin veneer of human civilisation, we're all just a bunch of fu*king animals"

Minus15

handed one in last february and got 63 in it. had all my research done but wrote the thing in four days. Read a bit of it last week and realised how shit it was. Have another one to do over the summer now for september plan on doing it the right way this time as it is worse a third of my course but best intentions and reality are two entirely different things!

D4S

On the subject of dissertations just wondering how many words any of yours were! I did mine 3 years ago in Leeds and it was meant to be up to a maximum 12000 words.  Mine would have been about this...but the majority was waffle + lies to bulk it up and all done in the final 2 weeks before deadline was a nightmare, but brilliant relief when handed it in!  I got a 60 and was delighted with  that as it counted as 2modules at a 2:1.  Have heard other mates talkin about doin dissertations and saying they're maybe 5000-6000 words.  Surely that's just an assignment?! Or am I being just jealous?!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Minus15

my undergrad one was 8000 but the one i have to do for september has to fall between the 15-20 mark