FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: ranch on March 25, 2013, 11:51:54 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on March 25, 2013, 11:01:01 PM

I suppose we would have beaten Bosnia 4-0 away aswell,

No most probably not. They wouldn't have beat us 4-0 either though.

That was a moderate group, Brian Kerr would have got us to the play off stages. If we can get through this, then we will see

Under Brian Kerr we finished behind both Switzerland and Israel in our World Cup 2006 qualifying campaign, and he arguably had a better squad to work with than Trap's had.
Hardly an argument that convinces me he'd have got us into the Euro 2012 play off's.

Who know's maybe he would have learned from his experience, that said, a manager like Trappatoni with his "record"would have been expected to get Ireland from that group. It was a decent achievement against Moderate opposition, Ireland are no world beaters but they were better than those teams.

When they played a truly good side in the group in Russia , trap got the tactics wrong and they destroyed us in Dublin, a miracle from Dunne and Given saved us in Moscow. It was nothing to shout about.

Declan

I just love Trap's motivational skills -  ;)

On young McCarthy - Trapattoni said: 'James has the good qualities but I have told him "I will punch you if you don't stop being shy".

rodney trotter

Quote from: ranch on March 25, 2013, 11:51:54 PM

I suppose we would have beaten Bosnia 4-0 away aswell,

No most probably not. They wouldn't have beat us 4-0 either though.

I don't think they would have beaten us 4-0, it would have been a lot tougher game  than Estonia all the same.

deiseach

Quote from: AFS on March 26, 2013, 01:23:19 AM
It's bull alright. The playoff draw is never made until after the groups have been completed. This allows FIFA/ UEFA to rig a seeding system in favour of the couple of big boys that have had the misfortune of not qualifying automatically.

It's interesting how people go looking for conspiracies about rigged draws, whether it hot balls or desultory efforts at rolling them around in the pot, when the real chicanery happens right in front of us. The formulae used to determine seedings are completely impenetrable, allowing Uefa to tweak them just enough as required to make sure the big guns are never going to slip into the second pot.

rodney trotter

It's McClean ffs. You've been spelling that wrong for months

When a spelling mistake annoys you, it show's you have little to be worried about. Maybe you are just a school teacher. :)

Olaf

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 26, 2013, 12:10:27 PM

When a spelling mistake annoys you, it show's you have little to be worried about. Maybe you are just a school teacher. :)

;)

magpie seanie

Delighted to hear Fridays result and the reports of a decent performance. Toinght will no doubt be painful (not least for whoever is nearest to Connor Sammon as he goes for his second touch - a tackle) but hopefully we can get the required win to underline the good result on Friday. Hoolahan and Doyle will hopefully be given enough time to get a goal or two at the end but no doubt Trapp will find more interesting ways of mucking it up (Simon Cox for McClean on the wing would be a possible Trapp substitution).

ranch

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 26, 2013, 09:30:55 AM
Who know's maybe he would have learned from his experience, that said, a manager like Trappatoni with his "record"would have been expected to get Ireland from that group. It was a decent achievement against Moderate opposition, Ireland are no world beaters but they were better than those teams.

I don't why his record is in inverted commas, it speaks for itself. It certainly couldn't have been achieved by a tactically inept manager.
Why would we have been expected to get out of the group? Slovakia had reached the ko stages of the previous World Cup and Russia were always going to be a notch above us.

As for Kerr, indeed who knows? You certainly don't and nor do I. It's a risk I'm glad we didn't take however and anyone who wached us at home to Israel and Switzerland durind WC 2006 qualifying will agree with me. A tactically inept manager at that level who pales in comparison to Trap.

When they played a truly good side in the group in Russia , trap got the tactics wrong and they destroyed us in Dublin, a miracle from Dunne and Given saved us in Moscow. It was nothing to shout about.

They destroyed us in Dublin and still ended up hanging on for the win.
In Moscow it was a miracle we didn't concede. Dunne and Given got the credit and rightly so, that's what they're picked for though.  It also wasn't just those two. Players like Kelly were also magnificent that evening. Say what you like about Trap but he grinds out results.

rodney trotter

Quote from: ranch on March 26, 2013, 03:15:07 PM

I don't why his record is in inverted commas, it speaks for itself. It certainly couldn't have been achieved by a tactically inept manager.
Why would we have been expected to get out of the group? Slovakia had reached the ko stages of the previous World Cup and Russia were always going to be a notch above us.

What I mean is his past record is brought up a lot as if we weren't aware of what he has done. That was then,this is now. That was a limited Slovakia team regarless of reaching the WC ko, we drew with them 0-0 at home and 3 days later they were hammered 4-1 by Armenia.

He has done a solid job, but selections issues and fall outs, have been a dissaopointment. Just my own opinion. We can all have an opinion with being blasted for being on another planet because I might not agree with other posters. Not directed at yourself.

Declan

QuoteA tactically inept manager at that level who pales in comparison to Trap.

Yeah right

Captain Obvious

In fairness the panel of players Trapattoni has is a lot weaker than the panels Jack Charlton or Mick McCarthy had.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 26, 2013, 04:29:32 PM
In fairness the panel of players Trapattoni has is a lot weaker than the panels Jack Charlton or Mick McCarthy had.

Might have had no Roy keanes, but he had a Decent enough selection of players available for
Euro 12, such as Coleman, Hoolahan,Wilson, McCarthy, 3 weren't selected and McCarthy had personal reasons. Anthony Pilkington would also have been an option but was never given a look in Friendly games prior to the Euro's. Gibson kept the bench warm at the Euros, after a great season for Everton. It's not often Ireland makes a big tournament, the Squad selected wasn't the best Ireland had to offer, as limited as we are.

Starting Sammon tonight, in a Vital game is another bizzare call. Lets hope it pays off.

Friendlyfire

Hello everyone I was a long time board member since the old days but run out of things to say-I'm just back from Stockholm and would like to know if anyone can suggest how I can watch a copy of last Friday's game -wehave rte through youview but as you know it was blocked and my kids would like to see the game.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

AFS

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 26, 2013, 12:10:27 PM

I suppose writing McGlean when you meant Gibson was just another spelling mistake, yeah?

Always nice when the Trap bashers reveal the true extent of their insight. I mean, even Dunphy manages to get the names right.

Quote from: Friendlyfire on March 26, 2013, 05:49:51 PM
Hello everyone I was a long time board member since the old days but run out of things to say-I'm just back from Stockholm and would like to know if anyone can suggest how I can watch a copy of last Friday's game -wehave rte through youview but as you know it was blocked and my kids would like to see the game.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

It was up here for a while, but youtube seem to have removed it. Asking the lads on that forum is probably a better bet than on here.