Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derry Dolly

stuck on you and wedding crashers both on last nite..decided with stusk on u as ive seen the other and fell asleep last half hour..rippin  :-[
good show though! :)

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 15, 2009, 11:13:48 AM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on June 15, 2009, 12:40:13 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on June 13, 2009, 11:10:56 PM
Quote from: ardal on June 13, 2009, 07:43:37 PM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on June 13, 2009, 02:02:00 PM
anybody seen 21?,being shown tonight on sky prem

Don't buy the popcorn and get too comfortable. Very disappointing. You'll watch it the whole way through and then wonder why; in my opinion

I thought it was pretty good to be honest.

To the terminator people, it is a movie and a very entertaining one as well, get over it. The Terminator movies are just about the most far fetched movies ever made and that is saying something so a few inconsistencies do not really spoil it.

That does not excuse lazy and poor scrip writing.  The film was poor, sadly it was supposed to be the start of a new trilogy, I liked Terminator 3, though many people didn't, but this one was terrible.  I dint think its asking for much to be able to have a film without inconsistencies, but even then, the film was boring, cringeworthy at times and just plane poor.

Such shite, T4 was fantastic, 9.5/10, the action was awesome, and fast paced, the story actually came together quite well. ACting was good, maybe not enough character exploration, but i came out thinking was great and cant understand what people problems are, plot holes give specifics. Arnie was the icing on the cake.

4 stars in Total Film, and Empire. Over 200 million worldwide at box office and counting.

Seen State of play, yes man and push last weekend on dvd, all really good.

Hangover looks good, not sure itll be released over here.

It was always going to do well in the box office, its a huge franchise movie, they do well on name alone.  Also while they might have given it good ratings many more have given it bad ones, and the general consinsis is that its not a very good film.

The plot holes are not really the problem, though there are a few they are not that bad, as for the Kyle Reese plothole that someone mentioned that can be explained easily.  I just think its a poor film, as you said character exploration was poor, a love story there was no point in, and stupid scenes  such as restarting his heart with wires, those machine made motorbikes that for some odd reason were made human-friendly.  Also the cringeworthy scenes such as that John Connor needs a new heart.  Marcus might as well have held a sign above his head with "me, me, me" written all over it.  It was so obvious and made me roll my eyes.

Also the film didn't have the gritty rough feeling that the flashback scenes from the first two films had.  I didn't expect exactly the same, but it could have been made to look a bit more gritty.  Also scenes were cut to bring the film down to a PG certificate, done obviously so more kids could go to the film and more money could be made.  Trust me I'm not slating the film for the sake of it, I LOVE Terminator, since I was a kid, I have seen the other three films well over 10 times each and I never do that with any film, I couldn't wait for this one either but left very disappointed.  To me it was basically a cash in on the franchise to make a bit of money.  Its nearly as bad as Wolverine.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on June 15, 2009, 11:28:52 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 15, 2009, 11:13:48 AM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on June 15, 2009, 12:40:13 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on June 13, 2009, 11:10:56 PM
Quote from: ardal on June 13, 2009, 07:43:37 PM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on June 13, 2009, 02:02:00 PM
anybody seen 21?,being shown tonight on sky prem

Don't buy the popcorn and get too comfortable. Very disappointing. You'll watch it the whole way through and then wonder why; in my opinion

I thought it was pretty good to be honest.

To the terminator people, it is a movie and a very entertaining one as well, get over it. The Terminator movies are just about the most far fetched movies ever made and that is saying something so a few inconsistencies do not really spoil it.

That does not excuse lazy and poor scrip writing.  The film was poor, sadly it was supposed to be the start of a new trilogy, I liked Terminator 3, though many people didn't, but this one was terrible.  I dint think its asking for much to be able to have a film without inconsistencies, but even then, the film was boring, cringeworthy at times and just plane poor.

Such shite, T4 was fantastic, 9.5/10, the action was awesome, and fast paced, the story actually came together quite well. ACting was good, maybe not enough character exploration, but i came out thinking was great and cant understand what people problems are, plot holes give specifics. Arnie was the icing on the cake.

4 stars in Total Film, and Empire. Over 200 million worldwide at box office and counting.

Seen State of play, yes man and push last weekend on dvd, all really good.

Hangover looks good, not sure itll be released over here.

It was always going to do well in the box office, its a huge franchise movie, they do well on name alone.  Also while they might have given it good ratings many more have given it bad ones, and the general consinsis is that its not a very good film.

The plot holes are not really the problem, though there are a few they are not that bad, as for the Kyle Reese plothole that someone mentioned that can be explained easily.  I just think its a poor film, as you said character exploration was poor, a love story there was no point in, and stupid scenes  such as restarting his heart with wires, those machine made motorbikes that for some odd reason were made human-friendly.  Also the cringeworthy scenes such as that John Connor needs a new heart.  Marcus might as well have held a sign above his head with "me, me, me" written all over it.  It was so obvious and made me roll my eyes.

Also the film didn't have the gritty rough feeling that the flashback scenes from the first two films had.  I didn't expect exactly the same, but it could have been made to look a bit more gritty.  Also scenes were cut to bring the film down to a PG certificate, done obviously so more kids could go to the film and more money could be made.  Trust me I'm not slating the film for the sake of it, I LOVE Terminator, since I was a kid, I have seen the other three films well over 10 times each and I never do that with any film, I couldn't wait for this one either but left very disappointed.  To me it was basically a cash in on the franchise to make a bit of money.  Its nearly as bad as Wolverine.

Each to their own, I loved the atmoshere created in this one, I was really rooting for the characters, the love story I didnt see it, it was just lust, Wright was already dead in a way so I got the heart swap, and connors importance made sense, the robots big deal the terminators are the same size of humans so ther terminator friendly too.

The flashbacks from the original terminators were like escape from NY movies and I think MCG was right to go this route.

Restarting the heart was a trbute to McGyver :P, joking but didnt ruin the film in all fairness. But I just wish fans like youself got as much out of it as me, Im a huge fan and was nervous about this one so was relieved coming out.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Galwaybhoy

I'm glad you liked it, I wish I did, trust me I wanted to!  But I was very disappointed in it.  I'm just going to pretend this film never happened. ;D

However Bales new film with Depp has got me attention, it looks good.

tbrick18

I saw The Reader and Push on DVD over the weekend.
The Reader was actually one for her indoors, but I have to admit I really enjoyed it even if Winslett is in it.
Push was one of those "switch your brain off at the door" films, but it was still ok.

tyrone girl

Got me thinking about a film i remember seeing years ago (on video) it was one of best films i ever watched. Return to paradise it was called, something along the same lines of Midnight express i think. Anyone know where i could get the likes of that now?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 15, 2009, 03:12:50 PM.
Push was one of those "switch your brain off at the door" films, but it was still ok.

I have this downloaded but have yet to watch it,Is it a bit Heroes?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

Quote from: tyrone girl on June 15, 2009, 03:17:40 PM
Got me thinking about a film i remember seeing years ago (on video) it was one of best films i ever watched. Return to paradise it was called, something along the same lines of Midnight express i think. Anyone know where i could get the likes of that now?

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/748307/Return-To-Paradise/Product.html
Testing Accessibility

tbrick18

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 15, 2009, 03:21:07 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 15, 2009, 03:12:50 PM.

I have this downloaded but have yet to watch it,Is it a bit Heroes?

It is a bit....only easier to follow.

Square Ball

any one watched Star TreK? watching it now seems a good watcj so far and I am only a half an hour into it
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Square Ball on June 15, 2009, 07:57:44 PM
any one watched Star TreK? watching it now seems a good watcj so far and I am only a half an hour into it
It has got great reviews and the trailers looked good. I'd like to see it in the cinema though.

Watched Vicky Christina Barcelona on Saturday night. Enjoyed it alright but dunno what Penelope Cruz did to justify an Oscar. Finally watched Slumdog Millionaire last night months after everyone else. Thought it was excellent. Makes me glad I grew up in Ireland!

SLIGONIAN

My advice go watch in the cinema, it was brilliant. Some of them young actors were awesome and the special effects and story were very good. 9.5/10 for me. Enjoy.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

thebigfella

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 16, 2009, 09:33:37 AM

My advice go watch in the cinema, it was brilliant. Some of them young actors were awesome and the special effects and story were very good. 9.5/10 for me. Enjoy.

Have to agree, not a trekkie and expected it to be a let down. Probably one of the best movies you'll see all summer and the complete opposite to Terminator Salvation. Looking forward to Transformers now but it will probably be rubbish, at least Megan Fox will compensate or that ;)

The Corporal

Agree with the last few posts, Star Trek was an excellent film with a good young cast. It was funny in parts too but overall a really enjoyable film. Id say most non-trekkies would find it good

ziggysego

I didn't like Star Trek, thought it was stupid.

The only thing I liked about it was that they hit the big reset button. So all the mountain of useless information that Trekkers have accumulated over the years is now void. Smart move by the film makers, as they won't be nitpicking over inaccuracies in the film and further films.
Testing Accessibility