Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 10, 2009, 05:14:14 PM
I watched 'In Bruges' on Sunday night, and I enjoyed it very much too.  Three excellent performances, even though Ralph Fiennes could never pass for a Cockney git.

The film was originally a stage play, and Feinnes played that role as it was played on stage, ie it is a bit camp and over the top effort for an east end villain( at least that is my opinion of his effort)

Capt Pat

Quote from: nifan on March 10, 2009, 10:36:07 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on March 10, 2009, 12:22:26 AM
Anvil - The Story of Anvil. This is one you have to go and see it is a mocumentary and a cross between "Spinal Tap" and "The Wrestler". The best film I have seen in a while.

It isnt a mockumentary- its a documentary.

Tell me more about Anvil then, had you heard of them before this. I am trying to work it out, but it is not a straight up documentary it is a mocumentary. It will remind you of those 2 movies I have mentioned and is still very good regardless of what genre it lands in.

leenie

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 10, 2009, 05:15:12 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on March 10, 2009, 05:14:14 PM
I watched 'In Bruges' on Sunday night, and I enjoyed it very much too.  Three excellent performances, even though Ralph Fiennes could never pass for a Cockney git.

I hated it!

i love it....

if you ever want to watch a "sweet" film then i suggest August Rush... quite relaxing film and johnaton rhys is in and is a great singer!

Question for those who live in the u.s
did you ever see that elvis series that johnaton rhys meyers was in and won the golden globe for? what is the name of it?
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Main Street

Infernal Affairs 1
starting  soon on CH4+  at 11.50pm

Bogball XV

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 10, 2009, 08:30:58 PM
Quote from: nifan on March 10, 2009, 10:36:07 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on March 10, 2009, 12:22:26 AM
Anvil - The Story of Anvil. This is one you have to go and see it is a mocumentary and a cross between "Spinal Tap" and "The Wrestler". The best film I have seen in a while.

It isnt a mockumentary- its a documentary.

Tell me more about Anvil then, had you heard of them before this. I am trying to work it out, but it is not a straight up documentary it is a mocumentary. It will remind you of those 2 movies I have mentioned and is still very good regardless of what genre it lands in.
apparently they were real and back in the day critics thought they'd be the metal band to make it big, not the likes of GnR and ACDC etc.

nrico2006

Watched Body of Lies last night, very good.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gerry

just finished watching mall cop, what a load of crap
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Bogball XV

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 17, 2009, 12:43:38 PM
Watched Body of Lies last night, very good.
I liked it too, though I see it got fairly average reviews.

Gran Torino is excellent.

ziggysego

Saw Mall Cop last night too. For a 90 minute film, it couldn't end quickly enough.
Testing Accessibility

Silky

Why would anyone with half a brain pay to go an see that?

I take it you have half a brain Ziggyego?

Did anybody see the new Clint Eastwood film?

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Silky on March 21, 2009, 09:50:35 AM

I was thinking that too, though I cant really comment, Ive seen enough terrible films in the cinema to last a life time, such as Date Movie *shudders*

Saw the trailer for Transformers, hope its better than the first one.

Did anyone ever see The Prestige, its on Sky Movies every few weeks it seems.  Brilliant film from Christopher Nolan, who is one of my favourite directors, he does much more than just the Batman films!

Tony Baloney

As nrico's terrible taste in movies nrico I have followed his recommendation of Body of Lies and have it and Quantum of Solace lined up for the weekend.

I thought Transformers would be total rubbish but I really enjoyed it. Yer woman Megan Fox(?) made it easy though ;)

Have to agree about Mall Cop, there is no way I'd pay to see anything like that i.e. any Adam Sandler movie.

corn02

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 21, 2009, 11:21:49 AM

I was thinking that too, though I cant really comment, Ive seen enough terrible films in the cinema to last a life time, such as Date Movie *shudders*

Did anyone ever see The Prestige, its on Sky Movies every few weeks it seems.  Brilliant film from Christopher Nolan, who is one of my favourite directors, he does much more than just the Batman films!

Not like the first Transformers GB? I thought it was great, could have been a bit more dark and sinister though.

Prestige is a cracker.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: corn02 on March 21, 2009, 02:47:50 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 21, 2009, 11:21:49 AM

Not like the first Transformers GB? I thought it was great, could have been a bit more dark and sinister though.

Prestige is a cracker.

No I did, I thought it was good enough, not great but I enjoyed it.  Just like you I thought it could have been much darker and sinister.  But then I like my films that way, and say the same about every film!

nrico2006

Tony, nothing poor about my taste as you well know.  Anybody seen 'Knowing' yet?  Seems a good idea.  I bet you are looking forward to the A-Team and Macgyver movies Tony!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'