MAYO v ROSCOMMON - Connacht Football Championship - Quarter-Final

Started by From the Bunker, April 02, 2023, 08:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Had a feeling that would happen. Last week's league final win disguised the face that Mayo coughed up a whole pile of goal chances and Galway didn't take any of them. Roscommon took theirs today.

Substandard

So relieved with that, was afraid we'd get blitzed early and then steamrolled.  Some super displays, and we did all the negative stuff that needs to be done, whether you like it or not.  Mayo are still going to be a force, and for now we'll enjoy this and look forward to Galway.  Diarmuid Murtagh is an absolute diamond.

square_ball

Quote from: clarshack on April 09, 2023, 05:29:46 PM
Should that not have been a black card for Aidan O'Shea possibly even straight red?

It was the type of challenge the black card was introduced to cut out.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Had the Rossies in my accumulator -- Leitrim & Cork let me down!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: thewobbler on April 09, 2023, 05:35:37 PM
I was big Aidan and I was getting refereed differently to everyone else on the field, i wouldn't be long lashing out myself
Poor AOS didn't fool the ref today

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

cornetto

Well karma does exist and all the dodgy frees mayo got last week went the way of the rossies today.Galway will not fancy the trip to ros ommon,they certainly have an Indian sign over us.

bennydorano

Roscommon definitely well drilled and better organised team today, but will it really matter in the long run? They're now sitting ducks for Galway and the way things are going the AI Groups are going to be lopsided by the looks of things, a bit of luck in the draw could be as important as Provincial progression to a final. Good to see the game played with Championship intensity.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 09, 2023, 05:43:24 PM

One of the most obvious rules of football backing the last few years has to have been do not bet on Cork under any circumstances.

They will always let you down.

seafoid

Davy Burke was one of the last managers appointed last year but he cemented Roscommon's place in Division 1, after years of yoyoing,  with a 3rd place finish and now has engineered this magnificent ambush of Mayo with the round robin stage to look forward to. Roscommon never won a game in the Super 8s but this year is different already .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 09, 2023, 05:51:12 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 09, 2023, 05:43:24 PM

One of the most obvious rules of football backing the last few years has to have been do not bet on Cork under any circumstances.

They will always let you down.

Fair point, living and learning a chara.  :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

marty34

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 09, 2023, 05:41:32 PM
Had a feeling that would happen. Last week's league final win disguised the face that Mayo coughed up a whole pile of goal chances and Galway didn't take any of them. Roscommon took theirs today.

Plus didn't they only get 4 points from play last week.

Not good enough.

Wildweasel74

Galway still crying, it seems a good run in the league, having to play league finals with short turn around doesn't help a team. I wonder if a good run to Ulster or Connacht final will actually not be a Benefit come the round Robin.

JoG2

Quote from: Substandard on April 09, 2023, 05:42:09 PM
So relieved with that, was afraid we'd get blitzed early and then steamrolled.  Some super displays, and we did all the negative stuff that needs to be done, whether you like it or not.  Mayo are still going to be a force, and for now we'll enjoy this and look forward to Galway.  Diarmuid Murtagh is an absolute diamond.

Thing is, if its part of your game and team prep (as it certainly looks with Roscommon), it shows the team / management know they are limited. Not the mentality you want to be starting an AI campaign with  A Connacht victory, the odd group win, but that's the height of it.

Wildweasel74

What negative stuff, like lying down pretending to be hurt?