Connacht SFC 2020

Started by Rossfan, October 26, 2020, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhoDat

honestly i felt walsh was the motm. he had a bit of a nightmare with the frees at the end, but i felt he otherwise had a great game. he is the stand out quality footballer on that galway team in my opinion.

on the ref, the ridiculous call of the day was giving a yellow to durcan for a totally fair shoulder. i swear to god, tough fair shoulders are part of the game. if the fella falls on the ground, then he falls on the ground. that doesn't make it a foul.

Rossfan

Only saw the last 15 minutes.
Mayowestros seemed to be making heavy weather of it but Galway blew a few opportunities at the end.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

cornetto

Padraig joyce summed the loss afterwards when he said basic mistakes by his team which he couldnt understand why they made them and giving away possession cheaply.He said they had trained well and hard for the match and wouldnt accept lack of a game prior to this as any excuse.he dually said the very best to mayo as connacht champions and hoped they do well.i think as supporters we should take it on the chin and in fairness only for powers great save which kept us in the game,the finish may not have been as close.

GalwayBayBoy

Padraic Joyce lamented the 'unforgivable' mistakes his side made in a narrow Connacht final loss to old rivals Mayo at Pearse Stadium.

The Tribesmen finished on the wrong side of a 0-14 to 0-13 scoreline, and the manner of defeat was most disappointing for the former All-Star.

Galway kicked 13 points, a tally the Killererin club man said is 'not good enough to win a provincial title, or any match'.

Coming into the game in the unusual position of having had no competitive championship action, Joyce was in no mood to make excuses.

"I'm not going into that," he told reporters after the game as to whether their lack of match preparation was a factor.

"We trained hard ourselves the last two weeks ourselves, the mistakes we made there today were just unforgivable from our point of view that, Mayo scored eight points in the first half, we made six handling errors giving the ball away for six of those eight scores. The lads battled hard, our game plan worked to a tee, but we just didn't execute the clinical edge at the end.

"We've only ourselves to blame, there's no point us looking for excuses, we'll take it on the chin. Mayo deserve credit, it's their fifth week in a row playing, they go on and represent Connacht and they'll do well going forward."

Although Galway had shown major promise in the early part of 2020, playing a delightful brand of attacking football, the suspension of activities brought about a downturn in their results. They lost all three of their matches since the restart - twice against Mayo, the other against All-Ireland champions Dublin.

"There's nothing we can do, it's knockout football, we'll learn huge lessons from it, the lads themselves will look at their performances and reevaluate what they're at and what they're at going forward. I'm proud of them, I'm proud to be their manager, but some of the mistakes there today, I don't know where they came from and I don't know how we didn't hold possession a lot of times, there's nothing we can say about it."

The Galway boss was also left frustrated by the performance of referee Sean Hurson.

"A lot of things annoyed me," Joyce observed after full-time.

"There was a time at the end, Liam Silke, there was definitely a man lying on his back fourteen yards from goal and I don't know how he didn't give a free for that. There was a time here at the back when Diarmuid O'Connor came in to nail one of our lads, he went down, the referee stopped the play, we had the ball gone to Mike Daly who was 40 yards free could have got a score the far side. A lot of decisions were baffling today, to be honest."

He said that he was content to be just three points down at the break against the breeze.

"I was happy with the position we were in at half time, three points down, even though I wasn't happy with the way they had played.

"They covered the ground really well and broke up the channels going into Aidan O'Shea. Sean Kelly had an immense game on him. They defended really well. But thirteen points is not enough to win any match.

"We will try and build on this though. It was a massive opportunity to get into an All-Ireland semi-final or final. It is a difficult year and it is heartbreaking to be out of it. It is tough, it is mentally draining to be there seven months of the year not knowing whether they would be playing football. We learned a lot as management this year, and we will come back whenever it is, January of February, we don't know and we will be stronger for it. Sometimes in defeat you learn more than you do in victory.

He said that for Damien Comer, if the game been a week later, he would have been nearly fully fit.

"But he hadn't the games, and his ball skills were in trouble. When you are marked by top class defenders like Chris Barrett, you cannot afford to spill a ball or they'll run through ya. He did well, but with more training he would have been immense.

He said that the attitude of Paul Conroy and Gareth Bradshaw has been laudable.

"They're great lads and they have given great service to Galway," he said.

highorlow

Quote"We've only ourselves to blame, there's no point us looking for excuses, we'll take it on the chin. Mayo deserve credit, it's their fifth week in a row playing, they go on and represent Connacht and they'll do well going forward."

Quote"A lot of things annoyed me," Joyce observed after full-time.

"There was a time at the end, Liam Silke, there was definitely a man lying on his back fourteen yards from goal and I don't know how he didn't give a free for that. There was a time here at the back when Diarmuid O'Connor came in to nail one of our lads, he went down, the referee stopped the play, we had the ball gone to Mike Daly who was 40 yards free could have got a score the far side. A lot of decisions were baffling today, to be honest."

This is why we could never beat ye lads enough. Typical Galway lads talking out both sides of yer mouth. Anyhow good luck to ye in the hurling.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

weareros

Quote from: WhoDat on November 15, 2020, 05:26:47 PM
honestly i felt walsh was the motm. he had a bit of a nightmare with the frees at the end, but i felt he otherwise had a great game. he is the stand out quality footballer on that galway team in my opinion.

on the ref, the ridiculous call of the day was giving a yellow to durcan for a totally fair shoulder. i swear to god, tough fair shoulders are part of the game. if the fella falls on the ground, then he falls on the ground. that doesn't make it a foul.

You do have to have at least one foot on ground for it to be a fair shoulder. Definitely looks like both feet off ground. Maybe not a yellow, but a free.

larryin89

Quote from: highorlow on November 15, 2020, 07:40:02 PM
Quote"We've only ourselves to blame, there's no point us looking for excuses, we'll take it on the chin. Mayo deserve credit, it's their fifth week in a row playing, they go on and represent Connacht and they'll do well going forward."

This is why we could never beat ye lads enough. Typical Galway lads talking out both sides of yer mouth. Anyhow good luck to ye in the hurling.

Exactly and how could anyone take joyce serious ever again after him saying comer was out and it would take a miracle for him to be togged ,ffs blatant lies .

On the game itself we totally lost the run of ourselves , daft shot selection combined with clarkes bad kickouts , personally think we cannot expect to progress with Clarke in goal , kickouts have become more and more crucial in the game and Clarke a great servant and very good keeper besides but the kick out is becoming off the scale poor .

James Carr should be playing too ,just my opinion is all.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Farrandeelin

That's two games in a row that our shot selection has been questionable to say the least. As the clock ticked on towards the end of the game today I was sure we were going to lose. Thankfully Shane Walsh fluffed those two frees. Really must improve in the scoring areas to have any hope of going any further. As well as that, I'm sure JH is grateful for Galway's slow start and Mayo's defensive forte in the first half. It was heart stopping stuff at the end.

A win is a win however and a Connacht title is not to be sneezed at. It more than likely will be Cork in the semi final so we'll see if they will work on the issues at hand over the next three weeks.

I personally thought Eoghan McLaughlin was man of the match. I thought Ruane was poorish enough in the first half. The two O'Connors were quieter than usual also today I thought. Didn't think Durcan deserved a yellow.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 15, 2020, 04:52:07 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 15, 2020, 04:40:28 PM
Quote from: galwayman on November 15, 2020, 04:38:16 PM
Quote from: highorlow on November 15, 2020, 04:36:06 PM
QuoteThe free out Hurson gave to Mayo just before all that after Higgins clambered all over the Galway forward was mind boggling though.

What's the story with the advantage rule? We were clear on goal there and Hurson blew for the free at a vital time. I think the decisions balanced up and Galway had a phantom point awarded also.
I wouldn't say they balanced up at all to be honest.
I think ye deserved the win but he was brutal.
What phantom point was that? Genuinely don't remember there being a dubious one?

I can't remember a contentious point either. Was there one?

There was one from Ian Burke in the 2nd half that looked very tight on TV

The one I was referring (I didn't call it a phantom point tbf) to was the Conroy point after a lay off from Burke. Looked tight but the commentators seemed to think it was in so fair enough

Lar Naparka

Quote from: larryin89 on November 15, 2020, 08:28:17 PM

Exactly and how could anyone take joyce serious ever again after him saying comer was out and it would take a miracle for him to be togged ,ffs blatant lies .

On the game itself we totally lost the run of ourselves , daft shot selection combined with clarkes bad kickouts , personally think we cannot expect to progress with Clarke in goal , kickouts have become more and more crucial in the game and Clarke a great servant and very good keeper besides but the kick out is becoming off the scale poor .

I've been dithering all afternoon wondering if I should mention Clarke's poor kickouts. At this level there is no room for mistakes- one ropey kick out could mean the losing of a game and it could have today, should have against Roscommon and definitely did on the double against Tyrone. We'd still be in Division One if Clarkie hadn't goofed up a couple of kick outs.
He has every other skill a top notch goalie needs, with a bit to spare and yet his kick outs remain a liability. Its heresy for diehard Mayo fans to criticise man but he's no Stephen Cluxton when it comes to restarts. It's unfair I know but a full forward can miss all day but is still a hero if he nails one lucky goal in the last minute in extra time and it's a winner. On the other hand a goalie is under pressure from start to finish and all his good work will be forgotten of he gifts a single restart to the opposition  and the ball winds up in the net.
Mayo are riding their luck with Clarkie's kick outs. Problem is Bob Hennelly is not reliable.
Is there nobody else in the entire county??
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

macdanger2

I'd have thought Reape might have been called into the panel, might not be a starter this year but it'd help develop him as an option for next year. On the ah ref podcast, they were going on about one of the intermediate keepers, maybe kiltimagh?

MayoBuck

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 15, 2020, 11:34:10 PM
I'd have thought Reape might have been called into the panel, might not be a starter this year but it'd help develop him as an option for next year. On the ah ref podcast, they were going on about one of the intermediate keepers, maybe kiltimagh?

Probably the mayo minor keeper from last year. Jennings from Ballinrobe.

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 15, 2020, 11:29:57 PM

I've been dithering all afternoon wondering if I should mention Clarke's poor kickouts. At this level there is no room for mistakes- one ropey kick out could mean the losing of a game and it could have today, should have against Roscommon and definitely did on the double against Tyrone. We'd still be in Division One if Clarkie hadn't goofed up a couple of kick outs.
He has every other skill a top notch goalie needs, with a bit to spare and yet his kick outs remain a liability. Its heresy for diehard Mayo fans to criticise man but he's no Stephen Cluxton when it comes to restarts. It's unfair I know but a full forward can miss all day but is still a hero if he nails one lucky goal in the last minute in extra time and it's a winner. On the other hand a goalie is under pressure from start to finish and all his good work will be forgotten of he gifts a single restart to the opposition  and the ball winds up in the net.
Mayo are riding their luck with Clarkie's kick outs. Problem is Bob Hennelly is not reliable.

Clarkie is the best keeper we have ever had. One of the best the game has ever had. However, injuries have affected his ability to kick the dead ball. That happens. A hole in quad muscle or hamstring does that and nothing you can do about it. He's still excellent besides but it is a problem.
If you have a dodgy kick-out, you need a big thick ball-winning midfield. If you have a lightweight midfield, like we do, you need a keeper that can ping it. Clarke would still be grand with a Seamie and Parsons in their pomp but that's over. We don't have a Liameen or Willie Joe either. I know what Horan is trying to do with midfield but it's putting the cart before the horse.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on November 16, 2020, 12:30:35 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 15, 2020, 11:29:57 PM

Clarkie is the best keeper we have ever had. One of the best the game has ever had. However, injuries have affected his ability to kick the dead ball. That happens. A hole in quad muscle or hamstring does that and nothing you can do about it. He's still excellent besides but it is a problem.
If you have a dodgy kick-out, you need a big thick ball-winning midfield. If you have a lightweight midfield, like we do, you need a keeper that can ping it. Clarke would still be grand with a Seamie and Parsons in their pomp but that's over. We don't have a Liameen or Willie Joe either. I know what Horan is trying to do with midfield but it's putting the cart before the horse.
I can't disagree with anything you wrote, especially the bolded bits - the fact remains that Clarkie's restarts have an element of the Hail Mary in every one of them.
Yes, a big ,thick midfield would help offset his wayward kickouts and its very obvious that there is no way he can signal his intention when he does restart to aim the ball at a particular colleague. He certainly cannot pinpoint  a kick to a well-placed colleague over 50 yards away like Cluxton can.
With all the resources at Mayo's disposal, it's bizarre that nothing has been done at coaching level to overcome this particular problem.
No amount of heroic efforts out the field can compensate for a couple of gifted goals as happened in the last Tyrone game. Clarke's goofed kickouts were bad enough but the failure of the Mayo backs to react quickly enough to get into position when possession was lost means they weren't anticipating an inaccurate kick out and that is something that is extremely avoidable.
Mayo out in a tremendous effort in the second half that should have overcome Tyrone yet it was all in vain because of two sloppy kick outs. If you are to have any serious designs on Sam Maguire next month, you can't afford to go cavalier with your restarts.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

imtommygunn

One thing about people blaming Clarke for Mckenna's goal against tyrone(not the bad kick out one). I don't think he could have got that. Watch his feet - McKenna was very clever and knew if he put the ball where he did Clarke would be wrong footed. If his feet weren't in that position McKenna would have put it elsewhere. That to me wasn't a mistake at all.