Started by Rossfan, October 26, 2020, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: galwayman on November 10, 2020, 04:22:38 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on November 10, 2020, 04:10:16 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 10, 2020, 03:50:12 PM
It was a very good team by Tipperary's historical standards of being a minnow

But in the real sense they were far from a top team

I think Galway will go full Jim McGuinness in this game because it is a tactic they have had success with against Mayo in the past, if they play an open game, Durcan and Keegan will kill them

Any time Galway play Mayo, they have to stop Mayo's running game as an absolute priority
There is zero chance of PJ implementing such a game plan, that is absolutely not his football philosophy and never will be.............
I would usually agree with you on that but it has to be said we played a lot more conservatively against Dublin in the last league game.
With the gale force wind behind us we got a lot of bodies back.
Not enough men up front I thought at the time.
Wouldn't have happened most likely but for what happened in Tuam the week before granted.

If Galway go toe to toe with Mayo then there going to get beat comfortably, as pointed out by several posters and its a re-occurring them for the last 4 years there's just not enough pace in that team and especially in the middle 3rd. Pace isn't everything but its about finding the right balance and Galway simply don't have it.  We've probably only got one player in the half backs and half forwards in McDaid and Brannigan who are quick. Until that changes Galway are going nowhere quick, at least it does look like there's an abundance of quick half backs coming through the u20's this year.

Its proving very difficult to find any optimism for Sunday.

joemamas

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 10, 2020, 05:12:37 PM

I think Galway will go full Jim McGuinness in this game because it is a tactic they have had success with against Mayo in the past, if they play an open game, Durcan and Keegan will kill them

Any time Galway play Mayo, they have to stop Mayo's running game as an absolute priority
There is zero chance of PJ implementing such a game plan, that is absolutely not his football philosophy and never will be.............
I would usually agree with you on that but it has to be said we played a lot more conservatively against Dublin in the last league game.
Wouldn't have happened most likely but for what happened in Tuam the week before granted.

If Galway go toe to toe with Mayo then there going to get beat comfortably, as pointed out by several posters and its a re-occurring them for the last 4 years there's just not enough pace in that team and especially in the middle 3rd. Pace isn't everything but its about finding the right balance and Galway simply don't have it.  We've probably only got one player in the half backs and half forwards in McDaid and Brannigan who are quick. Until that changes Galway are going nowhere quick, at least it does look like there's an abundance of quick half backs coming through the u20's this year.

Its proving very difficult to find any optimism for Sunday.

Galway initially will most likely be conservative, would you blame them. Mayo are the more athletic team, however if it wet and or windy that advantage is minimized.
But at least these Mayo forwards have the potential to score a bit more than their predecessors.
Comer when fit and focused on football would be worth 4-5 points, in reality that most likely will be the difference.
Hopefully Mayo will keep the full 15 on the field for the first time in years v Galway.

galwayman

Well they had 15 on the field at the final whistle last July if memory serves me.
It's hard to be optimistic about this game from a Galway perspective.

An Fhairche Abu

Any given Sunday and all that, Galway need to put a performance in and see what happens, Mayo deserved faves given the recent context coming into it but once Galway play to the best of what they have in them we should be happy enough regardless of result.
If it goes like the last two matches against Mayo then obviously it'll be time to say "f**k this".

Manning18

Every single game with wind tends to end up defensive. The team against the wind isn't direct for obvious reasons and ends up playing laterally. The team with the wind ends up with loads behind the ball as they have loads of time to catch up to the slow build up.

However Joyce will push this to the extreme in telling players to stay up. I honestly think he'd nearly rather lose than play with a negative setup, which fills me with zero confidence heading into a tactical windy sloppy game which this is nearly certain to be

Maroon Manc

Galway going to have to do a lot better on Clarke's kickouts then they did in Tuam, along with Galway actually tuning up its going to play a big part in whether Galway have a chance. Clarke isn't a great kicker of the ball yet he was made to look like Cluxton in Tuam, I hope they've worked hard on it in training the last month otherwise forget about getting a result.

Got to slow Mayo down in the middle 3rd and when they transition, one way is too commit more fouls. Don't know what the foul count was between Mayo & Roscommon was last Sunday but it looked at first glance that Mayo were quick to foul Roscommon in that middle 3rd to slow them down whilst most of the fouls Roscommon committed were easy kickable scores for O'Connor.

macdanger2

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 11, 2020, 12:29:39 PM
Galway going to have to do a lot better on Clarke's kickouts then they did in Tuam, along with Galway actually tuning up its going to play a big part in whether Galway have a chance. Clarke isn't a great kicker of the ball yet he was made to look like Cluxton in Tuam, I hope they've worked hard on it in training the last month otherwise forget about getting a result.

Got to slow Mayo down in the middle 3rd and when they transition, one way is too commit more fouls. Don't know what the foul count was between Mayo & Roscommon was last Sunday but it looked at first glance that Mayo were quick to foul Roscommon in that middle 3rd to slow them down whilst most of the fouls Roscommon committed were easy kickable scores for O'Connor.

We fouled persistently just outside our 45 in the 2nd half alright. I thought Roscommon did something similar in the first half though

Manning18

I cant remember any game under either manager that Galway were good at pressing kickouts. Seem exceptionally poor at it currently though. Mayo had what seemed the easiest strategy in the world in Tuam, quick one to the wing it if was on, if not, everyone moves out the pitch, leaves space and somebody sprints short with the kick going to his outside. Unable to stop it and unable to replicate something similar at the other end

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 11, 2020, 12:29:39 PM

And then stop quick frees by standing in front of player with ball or running alongside/across the player

Mayo also disrupted two marks from kickouts where a Roscommon player attempted to play on but was surrounded by mayo players but fouled the ball by over carrying.

An Fhairche Abu

All the top teams are cynical as required, I'd expect nothing less from Mayo next Sunday.
Horan turned Mayo from a "nice" team into a ruthless outfit, you don't have the success he had with them from 11-14 going up against all the top teams of that era without having the hard edge to compliment good footballers. If Galway don't approach this Sunday in the same mindset of "kill or be killed" they are at nothing but obviously I'm not talking about the likes of the needless dirt that some have resorted to in this fixture over the years either.

Quote from: Manning18 on November 11, 2020, 02:17:53 PM
I cant remember any game under either manager that Galway were good at pressing kickouts. Seem exceptionally poor at it currently though. Mayo had what seemed the easiest strategy in the world in Tuam, quick one to the wing it if was on, if not, everyone moves out the pitch, leaves space and somebody sprints short with the kick going to his outside. Unable to stop it and unable to replicate something similar at the other end
Sure Galway football followers are like broken records going on about the kickouts for years, it's inexplicable at this stage that it can't be coached up and then executed better by the team.

From the Bunker

An All Ireland quarter final and Galway are there without lacing a boot. Win 3 games and you are AI Champions. With Kerry out of the way the path to an AI final has seemingly got easier.  If either of these two teams are not up for this game on the weekend, then they don't deserve anything.

larryin89

"I'm not talking about the likes of the needless dirt that some have resorted to in this fixture over the years either. "

100% , the scummy shite been said to the same  couple of mayo players , one game after the next from 2016 onwards has been the conductor to all dust ups .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Manning18

What's being referred to there? Diarmuid putting Paul Conroy in the hospital with a cowardly elbow? Or the two O'Connors cowardly hits that got them sent off back to back in the league game?

Big game for Diarmuid actually. Am I right in saying his last 4 games against Galway have been 17 - Humiliated by Comer, 18 - sent off for cowardly hit, 18 - sent off for cowardly elbow, 19 - missed penalty to lose FBD shootout?

galwayman

Quote from: larryin89 on November 11, 2020, 09:32:05 PM
"I'm not talking about the likes of the needless dirt that some have resorted to in this fixture over the years either. "

100% , the scummy shite been said to the same  couple of mayo players , one game after the next from 2016 onwards has been the conductor to all dust ups .
Right...so that's the reason for Higgins' sending off in 2017 and Diarmaid O Connors in 2018 so is it?
Jesus wept.
You are some shit talker yourself I'll give you that.

cornetto

At the end ofthe day does anyone really care who wins either championship in that will they ever be recognised as "real" all ireland champions?As a galway man our main hope is in hurling and they have a sort of back door but even if they went on and won it just dont think it would mean as much.Am I alone in my negative thoughts?😊