The State and Religion

Started by Tankie, August 24, 2007, 12:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the State and Church be seperate?

Yes
19 (86.4%)
No
3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Tankie

In light of the thread that is running with the gardai and the turban - this really comes down to if there should be a gap between church and state. i think there should be as there are alot of religions and alot of people who are not religious at all so the best way to sort it is to have a complete seperation.

What you guys think?
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Forfeit Point

yes to a certain extent, i mean calls for the angelus to be taken off RTE is just ridiculous!

Tankie

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on August 24, 2007, 12:13:29 AM
yes to a certain extent, i mean calls for the angelus to be taken off RTE is just ridiculous!

is that not know a time for reflection rather than the angelus. i think that what they now call it to keep it PC
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Tankie on August 24, 2007, 12:15:48 AM

is that not know a time for reflection rather than the angelus. i think that what they now call it to keep it PC
please tell me you are taking the piss?? :o
that is as bas as saying "happy holidays" instead of "happy christmas" to someone who could be offended, damn i hate this PC world we live in (dont mind the shop though  ;))

Hardy

Quote from: Tankie on August 24, 2007, 12:10:48 AM
... this really comes down to if there should be a gap between church and state. i think there should be as there are alot of religions and alot of people who are not religious at all so the best way to sort it is to have a complete seperation.

What you guys think?

Jesus!

Oops. Sorry!

But I mean philosophers, political scientists, theologians have teased this out for, well quite some time now. And until now it never occurred to any of them to ask the Gaaboard.

Tankie

Quote from: Hardy on August 24, 2007, 12:25:59 AM
... this really comes down to if there should be a gap between church and state. i think there should be as there are alot of religions and alot of people who are not religious at all so the best way to sort it is to have a complete seperation.

What you guys think?

Jesus!

Oops. Sorry!

But I mean philosophers, political scientists, theologists have teased this out for, well quite some time now. And until now it never occurred to any of them to ask the Gaaboard.

its a simple question Hardy, some countries have close links to the church and others have none.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Hardy

Tankie

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on August 24, 2007, 12:22:11 AM
Quote from: Tankie on August 24, 2007, 12:15:48 AM

please tell me you are taking the piss?? :o
that is as bas as saying "happy holidays" instead of "happy christmas" to someone who could be offended, damn i hate this PC world we live in (dont mind the shop though  ;))

I can't say for deffo if its true as it was only brought up in a discussion in work and one of the lads said that it was now a time for reflection. a bit crazy alrite, i havent seem the Angelus in awhile but do they even show pictures of mary any more? the last time i say it it just seemed to be standing around?
Grand Slam Saturday!

Pangurban

A non-sensical albeit well meant proposition. As the members of the Church are also members of the state, how the hell could they be separated. Your question arises from an old mantra of secularists and atheists whose real agenda is to weaken and ultimately destroy religion in any guise or sphere of influence. Now pluralism, which is another matter entirely,and, not to be confused with secularism, is a reasonable path for states to follow. The Irish constitution of 1937 is a good example of a pluralist document, though sadly the political and social conditions which have pertained in ireland over the past seventy years resulted in a failure to implement it as intended,and led to many abuses. In short pluralism yes, secularism no

The Subbie

In light of the thread that is running with the gardai and the turban - this really comes down to if there should be a gap between church and state. i think there should be as there are alot of religions and alot of people who are not religious at all so the best way to sort it is to have a complete seperation.

What you guys think?

I think your a heathen and you will rot in hell  ;)

( especially if the animals beat yis on Sunday)

maddog

Quote from: Hardy on August 24, 2007, 12:25:59 AM

What you guys think?

Jesus!

Oops. Sorry!

But I mean philosophers, political scientists, theologians have teased this out for, well quite some time now. And until now it never occurred to any of them to ask the Gaaboard.

the Angelus is a time for reflection. On the monday evening traditional settler session when the angelus comes on rte, myself and a few of the lads take time to reflect and ask ourselves
why do we do this every weekend?
what time is pat dishing up the stew?
are those my feet?

Rarely are those questions answered, so fek religion. ;)