Quote from: sid waddell on July 25, 2018, 10:51:45 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 25, 2018, 05:55:59 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on July 25, 2018, 05:52:48 PM
http://www.dangerhere.com/eamon-dunphy/
😂😂

He was right about Gerrard!

Quote from: screenexile on July 25, 2018, 10:16:33 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 25, 2018, 09:38:44 PM
The whole Ronaldo stuff was more amusing.

He was bang on about Stevie G though!

Gerrard had the European Cup in his hands about 100 minutes later, having led the most famous fightback in the history of the sport.

I take it this is tongue in cheek??

Bord na Mona man

There were times when he nailed it, but increasingly he was trying to find windmills to tilt at.
The contrarian act is hard to keep fresh, but he did well to knock a 40 year tv career out of it.

Armamike

I'll miss his over the top reactions to a team like Barcelona getting knocked out of the CL. The end of a an era everytime according to Eamon.  Always seemed to be a bit of a niggle between him and Brady.
That's just, like your opinion man.

sensethetone

The Italians were to old to win anything in 2006.

Denn Forever

At least the his punditry was less anodyne than BBC or ITV.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

CornUladh02

He certainly doesn't seem a fan of the new boss @rte and said in the SBP today that the legend bill o herhily walked before he was pushed. Poor if true! Bill was like a grandfather to our nation!,

From the Bunker

Quote from: CornUladh02 on July 29, 2018, 10:56:09 PM
He certainly doesn't seem a fan of the new boss @rte and said in the SBP today that the legend bill o herhily walked before he was pushed. Poor if true! Bill was like a grandfather to our nation!,

No employee is ever a fan of a new boss whose first port of call is to hand you a P45. Bill/Giles/Dunphy/Brady have been great but time has been catching up on them. Things move on, time for a change. The lads had their day. Brady is the only one who is actively involved in football. The rest were basing on experiences 40+ years ago. Feck me football has changed a dose in the last 10 years.

Syferus

In fairness Bill was better than Darragh Maloney or F1 Man at hosting a panel. Only Jacqui Hurley is any good at it and she only gets a look in during big tournaments when they need extra hands.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2018, 12:18:09 AM

No employee is ever a fan of a new boss whose first port of call is to hand you a P45. Bill/Giles/Dunphy/Brady have been great but time has been catching up on them. Things move on, time for a change. The lads had their day. Brady is the only one who is actively involved in football. The rest were basing on experiences 40+ years ago. Feck me football has changed a dose in the last 10 years.
Pretty accurate synopsis of the situation in my opinion. Same could be said of the 3 amigos on the Sunday Game
Careful now

From the Bunker

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 30, 2018, 12:35:11 AM

Pretty accurate synopsis of the situation in my opinion. Same could be said of the 3 amigos on the Sunday Game

Yes, Especially Spillane. He has done really well living off the back of those 8 All Ireland medals. He offers nothing.

thewobbler

In general I liked Dunphy.

He had an awful habit, for Ireland matches, of talking up an out-of-favour midfield player as the missing link that would transform Ireland into Holland 1974; Stephen McPhail, Liam Miller, Lee Carsley, Andy Reid, and most recently Wes "Mark Anthony" Hoolahan. Which usually led him Brolly-style into confirming his bias at every opportunity, instead of reviewing the action.

But by and large, even though he was outspoken, he was fair. He would eat his words, perhaps unhappily, but would eat them. A skill that his whiny-voiced wannabe Sadlier has yet to master.

Plus, Souness on RTE was always a brilliant pundit, whereas on Sky he is mediocre, mainly because he could show his guns on RTE safe in the knowledge that Eamon and John would overreach every time and mask any controversy he might generate.

From a personal perspective, it says a lot that I never watched a single match on BBC or ITV this World Cup. It won't be until the Euros in 2 years time when I'll be able to assess if this was down to RTe in general or just the fact that Dunphy is entertaining , but I suspect it will be a fair degree of the latter.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2018, 12:42:56 AM

Yes, Especially Spillane. He has done really well living off the back of those 8 All Ireland medals. He offers nothing.

Even though Spillane's routine is tedious and stuck in the past at least he puts a little research into some of the stuff he says and knows what league division teams are in unlike Mr Brolly.

joemamas

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 30, 2018, 05:20:52 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2018, 12:42:56 AM

Even though Spillane's routine is tedious and stuck in the past at least he puts a little research into some of the stuff he says and knows what league division teams are in unlike Mr Brolly.

Challenge, Although he was an incredible footballer and I am sure a nice guy that you would not mind having a few pints with, the times I have heard him this year make it seem like he just collecting a check. Adding nothing.

trailer

Brolly especially would appear to be in time added on. Hates the game, so no real point in him being there.