Who would have thought - Ian Paisley - Sri Lanka & The Maldives

Started by Owen Brannigan, September 07, 2017, 10:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Insane Bolt on July 22, 2018, 09:58:39 PM
He's in good company not only in the DUP  it in Westminster also. How many had false expenses claims? How many were sacked? They continue to treat the electorate with total contempt....but hey we continue to let them. In any other walk of life they wouldn't get time to clear their desk.

In the dup you just don't get sacked. The amount of times these days where you think someone's position is untenable and nothing happens is ridiculous. You would have seen more sackings in england five or six years ago though not here. A friend of mine reckons it is the trump effect in general.

Nothing legal Rois that i know of sadly. It will be interesting to see what parliament do on him. Sammy talking about brass neck of bbc - no irony at all there. I would be shocked if he quit - as much brass neck, and as few morals, as you would see.

playwiththewind1st

AQMP

Is this the same guy who was blubbing his eyes out in the HoC last week??

'Writing in The Ballymena Guardian Mr Paisley accepted that "there are some who would have me booted out of Parliament".  "They are opportunists, some with questionable motives, and I can tell them that I have no intention of going quietly into the night," Mr Paisley wrote.  The North Antrim MP vowed that he would fight any by-election in the event of a successful petition to recall him.  "Make no mistake about it, I will seek re-election as I have never run away from an election in my life and I don't intend to do so now," he wrote.  Responding to the committee's report Mr Paisley argued that the ruling that he was guilty of paid advocacy on behalf of the Sri Lankan government was "harsh" and that the "rules were confusing".  However Mr Paisley rejected the claim in the report that he did not disclose the visits to the country as he was "too embarrassed to be associated with the Sri Lankan Government".  He wrote that the idea "never crossed my mind"."Given our own country has a government made up of terrorists, it always amazes me just how arrogant some commentators here can be about other world regimes," Mr Paisley wrote.

He really is a piece of work.  The rules were confusing??  "Should I declare these two holidays for me and my family worth over £50,000 when the limit is £660??"  Confusing right enough!

AQMP

DUP have suspended Paisley's party membership pending further investigations.

imtommygunn

Jesus is he too corrupt even for them?

Either that or he'll be back in a few weeks...

Maybe it said 660.00 and he thought it was 66k AQMP - could be an honest mistake ;D

playwiththewind1st

Yes....just like his memory failure, when forgetting that his father flirted with "terrorists" when it suited his purposes.

LeoMc

Quote from: AQMP on July 24, 2018, 04:18:20 PM
DUP have suspended Paisley's party membership pending further investigations.
No time limit on it. They will just wait to see if the petition gets enough signatures. If it doesn't they will lift the suspension. If it does get enough signatures they will oust him and put up Arlene/Farage as it is a safe seat.

omaghjoe

Quote from: AQMP on July 24, 2018, 11:05:27 AM
Is this the same guy who was blubbing his eyes out in the HoC last week??

'Writing in The Ballymena Guardian Mr Paisley accepted that "there are some who would have me booted out of Parliament".  "They are opportunists, some with questionable motives, and I can tell them that I have no intention of going quietly into the night," Mr Paisley wrote.  The North Antrim MP vowed that he would fight any by-election in the event of a successful petition to recall him.  "Make no mistake about it, I will seek re-election as I have never run away from an election in my life and I don't intend to do so now," he wrote.  Responding to the committee's report Mr Paisley argued that the ruling that he was guilty of paid advocacy on behalf of the Sri Lankan government was "harsh" and that the "rules were confusing".  However Mr Paisley rejected the claim in the report that he did not disclose the visits to the country as he was "too embarrassed to be associated with the Sri Lankan Government".  He wrote that the idea "never crossed my mind"."Given our own country has a government made up of terrorists, it always amazes me just how arrogant some commentators here can be about other world regimes," Mr Paisley wrote.

He really is a piece of work.  The rules were confusing??  "Should I declare these two holidays for me and my family worth over £50,000 when the limit is £660??"  Confusing right enough!

;D ;D ;D
Looks like he is on the campaign trail already

Don't think Teresa would appreciate those comments tho

playwiththewind1st

Send him away to Sri Lanka with a box of hankies for his well earned holidays, while he's suspended....but preferably for good.

johnnycool

According to Mark Davenport on the BBC this morning Ian Og can resign his seat triggering a bi-election and if he wins that his suspension won't carry and the snout will be back in the trough.

I think that mightn't go down too well with their chums in the Tory party even if they're desperate for DUP votes.

Who's holding their noses now Arlene?

Dire Ear

Why do you think the tories would be bothered about it that much;  normal behaviour for a politician........no?

johnnycool

Quote from: Dire Ear on July 25, 2018, 10:44:33 AM
Why do you think the tories would be bothered about it that much;  normal behaviour for a politician........no?

They like to think they're ethical and above all that, but the truth is far from that.

Publically they'll look down on the DUP but as I say to borrow a Jeffrey Donaldson speak will hold their noses when using the DUP votes in the House of Commons.

Armamike

A basic question any reporter needs to ask Paisley is why he was on the receiving end of luxury hols from the Sri Lankan government.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Armamike on July 25, 2018, 01:26:54 PM
A basic question any reporter needs to ask Paisley is why he was on the receiving end of luxury hols from the Sri Lankan government.

Was he not lobbying for an oil company?

Over the Bar

Quote from: Armamike on July 25, 2018, 01:26:54 PM

He'll present it as some shite about helping their peace process.  These corrupt regimes will pay anything to get photo opportunities wirh British MPs to give them some credibilty.  Donaldson is creaming it in too on the pretence of acting as a peace-process consultant to dodgy African regimes.  Complete joke.