UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 27, 2017, 05:03:19 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 27, 2017, 01:29:12 PM
The top 1% own 50% of everything. Median earnings are 27k.
I have no sympathy for the top 5%.

And yet for those of us governed by the UK government we depend on the 5% of earners to pay for the bulk of all public services so we need to protect the golden goose and not bleed it dry or drive it away.
Labour''s share of income has been falling since 1980. The rich pay because they have most of the money . The golden goose needs to have her eggs shared around
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

sid waddell

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 27, 2017, 11:13:50 AM

The issue of Corbyn is not leadership, it is competence. 
The word Tory and the word competence are mutually exclusive.

Taking Britain out of the EU
No Brexit plan and likely WTO tariffs on exports
Cutting over 20,000 police and unable to protect Britain against terrorist attacks
Utterly clueless on social care
20 billion out on the cost of High Speed 2 rail
Hundreds of millions out on the cost of free breakfasts

A Prime Minister who has nothing other than a slogan?

A front bench made up of Johnson, Hammond, Rudd, Fallon, Leadsom, Hunt, Davis and Fox etc.?

You are kidding me when you talk about competence, right?

Replace the aforementioned with a load of wheelie bins and you'd get more competence out of them.

Labour's shadow cabinet such as McDonnell, Gardiner, Thornberry, Rayner, Long-Bailey etc. have been infinitely more impressive by comparison, and Corbyn is miles ahead of May in terms of how he has performed.

And that's even with Diane Abbott, who really doesn't look so bad when you compare her to her direct Tory equivalent, the hapless Amber Rudd.

Minder

Thornberry? Are you smoking something ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

sid waddell

Quote from: Minder on May 27, 2017, 11:07:11 PM
Thornberry? Are you smoking something ?
She's miles ahead of Johnson. Burned Fallon beautifully on Andrew Marr a couple of weeks ago, too.

Unlike Johnson, she gives the impression of actually thinking before and while she's speaking.

So yes, I'd take her any day ahead of what the Tories have to offer.

ziggysego

Quote from: Avondhu star on May 27, 2017, 04:25:56 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 27, 2017, 03:43:54 PM
And neither do you bucko.
And thats why I get out and make my own way rather than expect society to fund me

Ok, I try and make a point of staying out of political threads, but f**k it.

I have a disability and I work. Unfortunately I do not work full time hours. Not because I don't want to, believe me, I'd love to work full time hours. No, because I am physically unable to.

Without benefits, I would be unable to survive on my own and have a sense of reasonable independence. So for you to sit on that high horse of yours.... f**k right off.

If I could, I'd vote Labour in this General Election to get rid of the Tories. I fear for my future, my independence, my health and my world under another 5 years of Theresa May and her like.
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Ziggy you'd give thousands of people in the North a red face as there are generations of people living entirely off benefits when they are entirely capable of working. Depending on what red top you believe, Labour are the party of the scroungers and the Tories wany to remove benefits from everyone. The ideal solution sits in the middle - get the spongers out to work and use the money to give the genuine claimants more money where they can survive above the breadline.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on May 27, 2017, 11:00:50 PM

Cutting over 20,000 police and unable to protect Britain against terrorist attacks

A front bench made up of Johnson, Hammond, Rudd, Fallon, Leadsom, Hunt, Davis and Fox etc.?

Replace the aforementioned with a load of wheelie bins and you'd get more competence out of them.

Labour's shadow cabinet such as McDonnell, Gardiner, Thornberry, Rayner, Long-Bailey etc. have been infinitely more impressive by comparison, and Corbyn is miles ahead of May in terms of how he has performed.

And that's even with Diane Abbott, who really doesn't look so bad when you compare her to her direct Tory equivalent, the hapless Amber Rudd.
Half of the Tory front bench voted Remain. They don't have any guts.
The economy is an absolute shambles. Osborne promised to get the deficit down to zero by 2015. Latest estimate is 2025.
The notion of competence is a myth invented by the Tory press. Keep saying it enough times and people believe it.

They refuse to put a cost on an exit without a deal. Just get the Telegraph and Daily Mail  to repeat that it is rational. They are afraid of the papers and their owners.

Strong and stable is another myth. May doesn't understand the financial side of things. She's a control freak. She makes a decision and if the people don't like it she flip flops.

She did it on self employed national insurance and she did it on social care. Both of these involved dumping costs on ordinary  people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElLpKewnxp4

Tony Baloney

Diane Abbott shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Andrew Marr Show. Labour should be hiding her away from the voting public.

seafoid

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 27, 2017, 11:58:33 PM
Ziggy you'd give thousands of people in the North a red face as there are generations of people living entirely off benefits when they are entirely capable of working. Depending on what red top you believe, Labour are the party of the scroungers and the Tories wany to remove benefits from everyone. The ideal solution sits in the middle - get the spongers out to work and use the money to give the genuine claimants more money where they can survive above the breadline.
What kind of jobs, Tony? And who is going to create them?
I read somewhere that 60% of people in money trouble  have jobs. And the Uk government subsidises low wages for the benefit of companies.

Inflation will make that worse.

the UK needs a new economic model 

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: sid waddell on May 27, 2017, 11:00:50 PM

In terms of competence, everything is relative which you appear to accept when you took to your comparisons.  However, your objectivity and hatred of Tories prevents you from reasoned argument.  While I do not support the Tory government in either its policies or actions, you are incorrect in the points you have raised and are following election propaganda on both sides"

QuoteTaking Britain out of the EU
This was the decision of the people in the UK referendum and not a Tory action, it supported by Labour and a long term objective of Corbyn.

QuoteNo Brexit plan and likely WTO tariffs on exports
The negotiations have not begun, this is an opening gambit to let EU officials know that UK will take a nuclear option which would severely damage EU countries who trade with UK.  It will never happen but is similar to the MAD policy used since the second world war to prevent use of nuclear weapons.  WTO rates would apply to every German, Spanish, French, etc car that is currently sold to UK.  VW and MB would collapse overnight if WTO tariffs were to result from UK leaving Europe and cars are only the tip of the iceberg.

QuoteCutting over 20,000 police and unable to protect Britain against terrorist attacks
Bobbies on the street are a PR exercise and will never prevent terrorism and not even crime.  Terrorism is defeated through intelligence.  Tories immediately increased spending on intelligence attack on terrorism on succeeding Labour into power by £1bn and in 2015 increased it from £11.7bn to £15.1bn.  The numbers employed by MI5, MI6 and GCHQ have increased dramatically under the Tories.

QuoteUtterly clueless on social care
Social care must be paid for by someone either through higher income taxes or a tax on wealth.  The Tory proposal was not perfect and only changed to protect the richest older people needing social care.  It only applies to England.  If older people have have wealth in their houses which can be used to pay for their care after they die and still leave at least £100K for their families then that is a good tax.  It is a wealth tax which Labour wants.  Currently, you lose your house before you die and lose all bar £23k.  How is that not an improvement.  Where relatives are willing to care for their own then the cost of social care will fall and more will be left for them. 

Quote20 billion out on the cost of High Speed 2 rail
HS2 is supported by all parties and all parties want it extended to other cities in the North.

QuoteHundreds of millions out on the cost of free breakfasts
To pay for breakfast for children they are removing free meals for all primary children in England introduced by Liberals.  Currently, all children in primary school regardless of need or parental income get free meals. This cannot be right.  Breakfast is probably a cheaper but more effective use of funding but remember it is not provided centrally, it is English local government that pays for free meals and will pay for these breakfasts. None of this applies to the regional areas of NI, Scotland or Wales.

QuoteA Prime Minister who has nothing other than a slogan?

So stealing a line from a Star Trek movie,  The Wrath of Khan (1982), in which Spock says, "Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"  and continually saying "for the many and not the few" is not Corbyn and co having just a slogan.

It's an election, you get a few phases and make them part of the public consciousness to get them to begin to accept your side of the argument.  Have you looked at advertising and slogans/catchphrases?

QuoteLabour's shadow cabinet such as McDonnell, Gardiner, Thornberry, Rayner, Long-Bailey etc. have been infinitely more impressive by comparison

I think you need a reality check, the shadow cabinet is a scraping of the bottom of the Labour barrel.  None have any government experience and you only have to look at Trump to see how well that works.  Have you seen them in operation on TV etc,?

QuoteCorbyn is miles ahead of May in terms of how he has performed.

God help us if a PM is chosen on the basis of being a good media performer.  Oh yes, Tony Blair, David Cameron, etc, well that worked well.

seafoid

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 27, 2017, 10:32:20 PM
And so the onslaught begins.........

https://youtu.be/99jclQAOT7I

https://www.ft.com/content/42cabb04-4203-11e7-9d56-25f963e998b2

Mr Bettammer says he and other secularist campaigners tried to warn the British ambassador to Libya at the time about the number of Britons and their radical views but were rebuffed. The UK, he says, wanted to encourage them instead because it viewed the Islamist groups as a more viable anti-Gaddafi alternative to native secularists.

seafoid

Owen Brannigan

Abbot being speared by Marr and he is hardly the sharpest.

Minder

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 28, 2017, 10:05:02 AM
Abbot being speared by Marr and he is hardly the sharpest.

Just saw this tweet from Tim Shipman, political editor of Sunday Times -

"Has a less qualified individual ever been put forward for one of the four great offices of state than Diane Abbott?"

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"