Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

In my opinion, which is not one valued by Gerry Adams, SF should resume in Stormont. However, they should state that if Brexit results in the imposition without consultation of any measures which make more difficult the conduct of trade or the passage of goods people or vehicles on the island of Ireland, then the British will have reneged on the GFA and that involvement will end.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on June 26, 2017, 06:48:29 PM
In my opinion, which is not one valued by Gerry Adams, SF should resume in Stormont. However, they should state that if Brexit results in the imposition without consultation of any measures which make more difficult the conduct of trade or the passage of goods people or vehicles on the island of Ireland, then the British will have reneged on the GFA and that involvement will end.

Yes, but I hear that you rate your own opinion very highly, lol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on June 26, 2017, 08:29:11 PM

Yes, but I hear that you rate your own opinion very highly, lol.

Somebody has got do it! That said, I don't trust my own opinion about my own opinion.

Somebody has got do it! That said, I don't trust my own opinion about my own opinion.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.
O'Neills Therapist

Avondhu star

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 26, 2017, 02:34:53 PM
SF need to stand up to Foster and let Stormont go, Tories will trump them in Westminster for now. DUP will lose out in the end.

Here comes Arlene with the one billion wiping SF's face. No need for a Northern bank job.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Applesisapples

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 26, 2017, 06:40:49 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 26, 2017, 02:34:53 PM
SF need to stand up to Foster and let Stormont go, Tories will trump them in Westminster for now. DUP will lose out in the end.

Your SF leader has stated that Stormont is key to the strategy for achieving a UI.
He is not my leader I am not a member, just a voter.

Applesisapples

If? it may not restrict travel for citizens of either jurisdiction. It will restrict the movement of other EU citizens. It will pose significant difficulties for farmers, transport companies and industry. Unionists keep talking about the 70% trade wit the UK, which is not in jeopardy. However what is in jeopardy is 30% of our exports which go to the EU, thats a large chunk in any mans money.

johnneycool

Would the Irish language act be enough for Sinn Féin to hold their noses with Arlene remaining as first minister even after the RHI debacle?

armaghniac

Quote from: johnneycool on June 27, 2017, 11:32:26 AM
Would the Irish language act be enough for Sinn Féin to hold their noses with Arlene remaining as first minister even after the RHI debacle?

Only if she issues an apology in Irish.

Denn Forever

As some said, while the  assembly doesn't sit, the MLAs are still being paid.  The money the DUP are getting from the conservatives may disappear into sone's back pocket while there are no ministries to allocate it.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hereiam

How can SF and the SDLP sit with the DUP in stormount while the DUP have the Tories by the ball sack. Its just not workable and as said before they both should walk away.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 27, 2017, 12:07:14 PM

As some said, while the  assembly doesn't sit, the MLAs are still being paid.  The money the DUP are getting from the conservatives may disappear into sone's back pocket while there are no ministries to allocate it.

Wrong. DUP have agreed it will still be used by civil service to carry on with projects decided by an overseeing committee of MPs with DUP input.

Not just elected MPs being paid but those members of the assembly commission who lost their seats remain on and paid until replaced by assembly being formally instituted. Also the speaker is paid his additional salary.

WT4E

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/06/29/news/talks-set-to-conclude-but-agreement-remains-elusive-1070286/

Conservatives haven't the balls to do anything - Whens a deadline a deadline? - No wonder nothing can be agreed when they just keep saying you have to agree by x. When x comes - no keep talking and agree by Y and so it goes on!

macdanger2

Interesting comments from Naomi long earlier on RTÉ, basically that it's not about the Irish language act but parity of esteem

ashman

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 29, 2017, 10:31:07 PM
Interesting comments from Naomi long earlier on RTÉ, basically that it's not about the Irish language act but parity of esteem

She seems a decent sort to be fair .