Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 13, 2017, 08:16:43 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on June 13, 2017, 05:41:22 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 13, 2017, 02:18:29 PM
As Alex Kane has stated that SF will quickly return to the executive to act as a bulwark against the DUP-Tory government.

Kane was on Newstalk this morning.  He pointed out that if DUP stay away from contentious stuff like parades, legacy, culture, gay rights (which no government is going to legislate for anyhow) and keep to cold cash they can do very well here.  Government ain't going to be around for ever so longing for longer term stuff is foolish.  Getting a bigger capital budget, health budget and social welfare budget can be seen to be working for "all of the people of Northern Ireland" and then push the Shinners to come back to Assembly to avoid this cash pot going to waste.  The Shinners will look bad if they don't come to an agreement.  Then once Assembly is up and running they can keep it local when it comes to rubbing themuns faces in it.

/Jim.

There is the flip side where if they focus on parades and legacy issues and the tories let them away with it then they could bring the troubles back.

I doubt it will happen but they are not people you can count on.

Their deal allows for a separate deal or payback for each time they are required to keep the Tories in power.  At this time they will take the high ground to put the skids under Adams and SF by bringing back the bacon for the whole community.  However, as time goes on they will payback the loyalist community to show they are looking after their own.

imtommygunn

The oo statement was a thinly veiled threat to them really.

While they have some power i doubt the tories would push for parades etc and you say over time but i am not sure there is longevity in this.

Harold Disgracey

Funnily enough last time there was a weak Tory government propped up by unionists, we on the Garvaghy Road got the shit kicked out of us to facilitate an Orange march down the road. There is zero chance of this happening as there would be considerable bloodshed.

imtommygunn

Yeah i have been thinking that and am hoping it is not something that is on the cards.

You just never would know with these people. I wouldn't have much faith i n tories or dup :(

red hander

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on June 13, 2017, 09:31:15 PM
Funnily enough last time there was a weak Tory government propped up by unionists, we on the Garvaghy Road got the shit kicked out of us to facilitate an Orange march down the road. There is zero chance of this happening as there would be considerable bloodshed.

Well, the Orange Order would have had a shopping list for the DUP to take to May and I've no doubt the Garvaghy Road was on the top of it. May is a balloon, but not even she is stupid enough to entertain this. For a start, the PSNI would have to force it down the road, and that would be the end of the 'cross-community' acceptance of the police ... but never underestimate the idiocy of Brit policy when it comes to the Irish

BennyCake

19 years of peace. What the fcuk is wrong with those OO arseholes that they want to put the whole of the North back to that shite? 3 wee lads murdered in their beds, and they want to put people in danger of similar or worse. Talk about mental!

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: BennyCake on June 13, 2017, 10:45:50 PM
19 years of peace. What the fcuk is wrong with those OO arseholes that they want to put the whole of the North back to that shite? 3 wee lads murdered in their beds, and they want to put people in danger of similar or worse. Talk about mental!

Simple. It's all about putting those pesky Fenians back in their box.

imtommygunn

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on June 13, 2017, 11:32:12 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 13, 2017, 10:45:50 PM

Simple. It's all about putting those pesky Fenians back in their box.

Precisely. Not one f##k could they give about peace.

Keyser soze

Corporation tax, welfare, health.....hardly.

The first things on the DUP agenda will be flegs at City Hall, parades and getting murderers who wore a uniform a pardon for their actions.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 14, 2017, 09:21:58 AM

The first things on the DUP agenda will be flegs at City Hall, parades and getting murderers who wore a uniform a pardon for their actions.

You will be surprised at the funding that DUP will deliver to show SF they are in the driving seat and Westminster can deliver.  Any payback to their loyalist community will occur much later in the parliament.

The murderers you refer to, are they any less due a pardon than those who were released in 1990s having incinerated 12 diners in the La Mon House hotel or 15 people drinking in McGurk's Bar or those not convicted for killing 10 workers at Kingsmills or 3 worshippers in the Mountain Lodge Pentecostal Church in Darkley. 

Keyser soze

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 14, 2017, 01:50:24 PM

You will be surprised at the funding that DUP will deliver to show SF they are in the driving seat and Westminster can deliver.  Any payback to their loyalist community will occur much later in the parliament.

The murderers you refer to, are they any less due a pardon than those who were released in 1990s having incinerated 12 diners in the La Mon House hotel or 15 people drinking in McGurk's Bar or those not convicted for killing 10 workers at Kingsmills or 3 worshippers in the Mountain Lodge Pentecostal Church in Darkley.

Do you even know what the word pardon means?

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: AQMP on June 14, 2017, 02:00:31 PM

Prisoners released as a result of the GFA were not pardoned.  I'm not sure how you pardon someone who hasn't been convicted of something??

You issue letters from HM government to absolve them of any future conviction or provide them with a pardon from HM as the Blair government provided to SF and IRA members.
Quote from: Keyser soze on June 14, 2017, 02:03:52 PM

Do you even know what the word pardon means?

And your point is?

Wildweasel74

So if otr letters is not a amnesty or a pardon what would you classify it as??

screenexile

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 14, 2017, 03:59:56 PM

I could be wrong but I presumed they were just letters saying "you are not currently under investigation by the authorities".

Keyser soze

Quote from: screenexile on June 14, 2017, 04:01:02 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 14, 2017, 03:59:56 PM

I could be wrong but I presumed they were just letters saying "you are not currently under investigation by the authorities".

Exactly