Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on August 14, 2017, 11:07:38 PM
Quote from: Targetman on August 14, 2017, 10:37:59 PM
Can't see the co.boards finances stretching to supplying a motorway network leading to ballykinlar!!

I know, I'm just pointing out that a major difficulty in our county is the generally poor road links. Something which is completely outside the county board's control. So we shouldn't be drawing direct comparisons to Tyrone or to Dublin.

This is true. So we probably should be looking at one main centre and at least one geographically polar smaller centre as part of this 20:20 vision. I'm softening on BallyK now as to be honest anywhere in the middle of the county is a pain in the hole for just about everyone too. But the thought of South Down u14 and u16 development squads driving up there all year round makes me worried. A young lad from Newry might as well play soccer for a belfast Irish league time once those miles are added up.

---

Some very cruel midweek start times again this week in the Down football championships. Carryduff's players being asked to take half days twice in the one week. Why Bryansford's match and Rostrevor's match have to be a double bull on a Thursday night is beyond me. Bad enough Thu night, so why not two 7.30 throws ins at different grounds?

befair

No scoreboard in Hilltown tonight; at £8 in ridiculous. Didn't matter much in 2nd match, but first match was close

ranch

Any word on the Junior Championship draw? I've looked on the website for fixtures etc but can't find them anywhere?

Minus15

County board have decided not to bother with JFC this year. Only a hindrance for them.

ranch

Quote from: Minus15 on August 15, 2017, 08:42:02 PM
County board have decided not to bother with JFC this year. Only a hindrance for them.
It has appeared that way for the past few years anyway.

wobbller

Quote from: thewobbler on August 14, 2017, 11:20:19 PM
Can't see the co.boards finances stretching to supplying a motorway network leading to ballykinlar!!

I know, I'm just pointing out that a major difficulty in our county is the generally poor road links. Something which is completely outside the county board's control. So we shouldn't be drawing direct comparisons to Tyrone or to Dublin.

This is true. So we probably should be looking at one main centre and at least one geographically polar smaller centre as part of this 20:20 vision. I'm softening on BallyK now as to be honest anywhere in the middle of the county is a pain in the hole for just about everyone too. But the thought of South Down u14 and u16 development squads driving up there all year round makes me worried. A young lad from Newry might as well play soccer for a belfast Irish league time once those miles are added up.

---

Some very cruel midweek start times again this week in the Down football championships. Carryduff's players being asked to take half days twice in the one week. Why Bryansford's match and Rostrevor's match have to be a double bull on a Thursday night is beyond me. Bad enough Thu night, so why not two 7.30 throws ins at different grounds?
You're letting yourself down here with your thoughts on South Down Development squads issues.There is no SD U14 Dev squad this year as it is all-County and there never was a SD U16 Dev squad.

Hoes before bros

Surely you have enough of those medals lying around the house minus  😜

Minus15

thewobbler

Quote from: wobbller on August 16, 2017, 10:19:34 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 14, 2017, 11:20:19 PM

---

You're letting yourself down here with your thoughts on South Down Development squads issues.There is no SD U14 Dev squad this year as it is all-County and there never was a SD U16 Dev squad.

Well pardon my ignorance.

You could just address the underlying point that committing any youngster from South Down / Belfast to trekking an hour every time there's a training session, might not work to the county's advantage.

If we build BallyK it'll almost certainly come with a remit that save for exceptional circumstances, all training at all levels in all codes takes place there. Which I suppose if I was in charge I'd try to apply as well. But as an approach there's some of it Peter and some of it Paul. 

east down gael

Sure it's not much further for the belfast lads than travelling to newry.i'd concede its maybe not the best location.but it's been used by county teams in days gone by and was never an issue.it might even give football in the surrounding area a boost,which would be no bad thing,plus its a better location for the hurlers.

qubdub

Sure build it in Newry, incase their players run off to play Irish league soccer. Never mind east down players who might (already) do the same. Think this argument on location has ran its course. Just be happy that the county board are being proactive in trying to build the thing!

thewobbler

Quote from: qubdub on August 16, 2017, 09:51:44 PM
Sure build it in Newry, incase their players run off to play Irish league soccer. Never mind east down players who might (already) do the same. Think this argument on location has ran its course. Just be happy that the county board are being proactive in trying to build the thing!

It's only run its course if you believe two wrongs make a right.

downjim

Anyone odds on the Burren v Brudge game ??

SHEEDY

Quote from: downjim on August 17, 2017, 02:56:53 PM
Anyone odds on the Burren v Brudge game ??
burren 2/5  mayobridge 9/4  draw 9/1
nil satis nisi optimum

Smurfy123

Some result for Liatroim tonight.What is going on with Rostrevor?
Lost to Drumeness earlier in the year and now this?Thought they would have strolled through that intermediate championship.Although they still might