Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Targetman

Great performance from Down this evening I'm happy to admit I was wrong, no negatives the lads put in a massive effort and restored some pride in the red and black, it was great to see a big Down support get behind the team!

OgraAnDun

Quote from: bannside on June 24, 2017, 10:45:32 PM
OK the Bar. So Sean Og to blame for everything when you lose. And does not deserve any credit whatsoever when you win. He backed Burns from the start and took the flak with him, but continued to back him...and today as far as Im.concerned, albeit as a neutral, today  is redemption day for them both. Down won back the admiration of everyone tonight. And their pride too.

Just leave it for a few days, great win and brilliant performance, roll on the Ulster Finsl and hopefully we'll be a handful for Tyrone.

SHEEDY

will next fridays league games be starred games now?
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Rover

It almost defies belief that Down could go four years without a win in the Ulster championship, and also endure a run of 14 consecutive league and championship defeats, avoid relegation to D3 through an injury time free in Cork, and then suddenly pull off completely unexpected but totally deserved victories over Armagh and Monaghan to find ourselves in a provincial final.

We all know that following Down is a roller coaster but it is doubtful if we have ever been through a period of such contrasts as this one, and the management and players deserve enormous credit for what they have achieved.

Eamonn Burns will be aware that no county manager can lose his first 11 competitive games on the bounce without coming under a critical spotlight, but with hindsight he inherited an almost impossible position in his first year and has since quietly gone about his work and produced a squad which is fit, focused and believes in what it is doing.

While Tyrone will be formidable opposition, we are improving steadily and never had any fear of them in the first place. It was a magnificent performance which made us all proud to be Down people and you cannot ask for more than that.

Down Follower

Although it was a superb win on Saturday night, that was just the icing on the cake.  What we as supporters want is our county to play with heart and pride, as well some sort of a game plan.  We got all of that and some at the weekend and that is what was so pleasing.  If you play like that, you will inevitably win big games.

Tyrone will be tough opposition in the final, we are all aware of that.  If we can display the same attributes as we have done to date however then we can be sure Tyrone will know they were in a game.

Aristo 60

Quote from: Down Follower on June 26, 2017, 10:58:26 AM
Although it was a superb win on Saturday night, that was just the icing on the cake.  What we as supporters want is our county to play with heart and pride, as well some sort of a game plan.  We got all of that and some at the weekend and that is what was so pleasing.  If you play like that, you will inevitably win big games.

Tyrone will be tough opposition in the final, we are all aware of that.  If we can display the same attributes as we have done to date however then we can be sure Tyrone will know they were in a game.

+1

ardtole

My brother is looking into hiring a coach for any dublin based supporters looking to go to the ulster final. Public transport is poor enough to Clones. Will probably work out at €25/30 return. Pm me if anyone you know might be interested.

ardtole

Any news on how serious Connaire Harrisons injury is?
It was a brilliant night in Armagh on Saturday, easily the best game I was at since the Kerry and Kildare games in 2010.

5 Sams

Quote from: ardtole on June 26, 2017, 02:21:55 PM
Any news on how serious Connaire Harrisons injury is?
It was a brilliant night in Armagh on Saturday, easily the best game I was at since the Kerry and Kildare games in 2010.

He was interviewed after the game and said he was grand...
The Aristocrat Years

Targetman

Glad to hear it, he had a great game on Saturday, Wylie wasn't expecting that!!

EagleLord

Had somewhat of a secret weapon in Harrison, not so secret now! I'd expect him to be fine to train this week. He looked to hold hamstring, then got a rub and spray on a calf. Clarke at half time did say he wouldn't be the fittest boy in the world so.

As supporters, the least we really ask for is effort and heart, got them in spades at the weekend. The performance and result followed. As good and intense a game as I've seen from Down in quite a while. Amazing.

Referee in second half was awful from a Down perspective. Gave some very very harsh calls against us.

McKernan a lucky boy at the end, wouldn't expect such a high and rash challenge from man with his experience. Harrison deserved MoM award for me, not KMcK.

Mourne Rover

Connaire Harrison has been deservedly shortlisted on the official GAA website as player of the week. Down supporters can vote for him through the link below, but only until 10am on Tuesday.

http://www.gaa.ie/football/news/gaa-footballer-the-week-nominations-139446/

OgraAnDun

I can't understand why plenty of people are saying that Tyrone will hammer us, I don't think we'll win but I don't expect a walkover as some are predicting. Tyrone hammered Derry and Donegal but Derry are useless and I must have been watching a different Tyrone v Donegal match as I thought Donegal were awful more than Tyrone being amazing. Both Derry and Donegal threw the towel in for the last quarter of the match which is where Tyrone really opened up a big gap between the teams.

Yes we're not coming in under the radar and Harrison is no longer a secret weapon but I'd like to think we can give Tyrone their fill of it and at least make it a competitive match. Some turnaround from the attitudes after the Fermanagh and Clare matches when we thought we wouldn't win a game all season - we're not just one win (Ulster final or qualifier) away from an AI QF.

TheClutch

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 27, 2017, 01:25:29 PM
I can't understand why plenty of people are saying that Tyrone will hammer us, I don't think we'll win but I don't expect a walkover as some are predicting. Tyrone hammered Derry and Donegal but Derry are useless and I must have been watching a different Tyrone v Donegal match as I thought Donegal were awful more than Tyrone being amazing. Both Derry and Donegal threw the towel in for the last quarter of the match which is where Tyrone really opened up a big gap between the teams.

Yes we're not coming in under the radar and Harrison is no longer a secret weapon but I'd like to think we can give Tyrone their fill of it and at least make it a competitive match. Some turnaround from the attitudes after the Fermanagh and Clare matches when we thought we wouldn't win a game all season - we're not just one win (Ulster final or qualifier) away from an AI QF.

I think branding Harrison a secret weapon is a bit over the top. He has been in and around the county panel for a few seasons now, this year he has been given an opportunity with sustained game time and has taken it - he also played against Armagh and had a decent afternoon then also. He had a fantastic game on Saturday night and hopefully he can produce more of the same as he is clearly capable of it.
I don't think that Tyrone will hammer us either but it is hard not to see past a Tyrone victory. Then again I felt the exact same going into the Monaghan game so hopefully this Down team continue to surprise us.
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)