Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Rossfan, I didn't say they're the ruling body. They're one stakeholder, but a very important one I think you'd agree. Duffy listened to what they had to say and included it when coming up with his proposal.

The point is that you need to bring the players with you. If you decide, in 2017, to scrap the provincials and bring in a three-tiered championship you'll cause mayhem and it won't get through congress.

Duffy is accused of all sorts but when his proposal reflects the desires of the players he's criticised too.

Who else would you all consider should be listened to ahead of the players?

Rossfan

I said keep the Provincials
I said  replicating club systems at I C level won't happen in my lifetime
I don't and haven't  criticised Partick Duffy
Players with weaker Counties are one of many stakeholders but they will be around for about 5 or 6 years, officials, supporters etc will be around a lot longer.
Talking to/listening to one particular group is good but doesn't mean giving them a veto.
As I said before time the GAA set up a Group to look at 2040/2050 - competitions, demographics, organisational structures and so on ( but NOT fixtures calendar - that needs sorting out NOW).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

screenexile

Does this new system mean it may be possible for Dublin/Kerry/Mayo to get beaten twice and still make an All Ireland Final/Win an All Ireland??

Farrandeelin

Quote from: screenexile on February 21, 2017, 10:04:44 AM
Does this new system mean it may be possible for Dublin/Kerry/Mayo to get beaten twice and still make an All Ireland Final/Win an All Ireland??
Appears so.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

one of the main issues regarding any kind of change is the need to keep up the illusion that all teams are equal and its a mortal sin to treat them as anything else.
yet hurling does not have this problem are they elitist or just more realistic?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on February 21, 2017, 10:12:34 AM
one of the main issues regarding any kind of change is the need to keep up the illusion that all teams are equal and its a mortal sin to treat them as anything else.
yet hurling does not have this problem are they elitist or just more realistic?

Elitist, marginal and nonsensical.

Rossfan

Quote from: screenexile on February 21, 2017, 10:04:44 AM
Yes. Could lose in the Provincials and lose a group game. But technically they are separate competitions.
Syfīn there's far more nonsense in your insulting post than Rosnarun's factual one.

Fuzzman

In the GAA proposal document they state:
The new structure will guarantee eight additional major games at venues within the provinces, which is particularly important in the context of the Association's investment in stadiums other than Croke Park. In addition, the playing of decisive matches of the championship in provincial venues will counter the Dublin-centred bias of the current structure. It will also bring top teams to provincial venues that they would never otherwise visit in the championship.

Team 1 and team 2 are always the provincial winners so lets say for argument we expect Kerry, Dublin, Mayo and Tyrone.

Team 1 always play team 2 in Croke park which means Dublin will always play one of their big rivals with home
advantage so we will never see Kerry v Dublin in Killarney or Mayo v Dublin in Castlebar. Would it not be fairer if they held them in a neutral venue like Clones or in the new Cork stadium (or Killarney if Dubs v Cork). Yes less revenue but a lot fairer to provincial winners outside Leinster.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on February 21, 2017, 09:51:58 AM
Players with weaker Counties are one of many stakeholders but they will be around for about 5 or 6 years, officials, supporters etc will be around a lot longer.
Talking to/listening to one particular group is good but doesn't mean giving them a veto.
As I said before time the GAA set up a Group to look at 2040/2050 - competitions, demographics, organisational structures and so on ( but NOT fixtures calendar - that needs sorting out NOW).
I know all that. Only the initial part of my reply was directed at you although you did seem to back the three-tiered system without mentioning that it won't happen anytime soon.

Jinxy

When was the last time a major change in the GAA was welcomed by EVERYONE?
Sometimes you just have to do what's best and to hell with populism.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Jinxy on February 21, 2017, 12:00:12 PM
Yes, but you also have to put forward something that has a chance of getting through.

Rossfan

Quote from: Esmarelda on February 21, 2017, 11:41:14 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 21, 2017, 09:51:58 AM
I know all that. Only the initial part of my reply was directed at you although you did seem to back the three-tiered system without mentioning that it won't happen anytime soon.
Go back a page or 2 - I said no one over 40 would live to see it.

thewobbler

I (personally, yes... me, everyone please look at me) did solve almost all the issues described in this thread, in a proposal a couple of years ago.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=25868.msg1475581

People of course found a couple of new issues (such as when Tyrone endure both a dreadful league and provincial championship, their fans still expect them to be awarded a place in the last 16, plus some people expect the progress of weaker teams to be stymied, even though they'd be getting just as many games... and the majority of the them in an extremely competitive environment), but as I say, most of this thread's bugbears are put to bed.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on February 21, 2017, 12:00:12 PM

Who decides what is best? You?

Sickening arrogance.

Taylor

Ultimately the provinces are the issue here.

How much would the individual councils stand to lose if it went to say for example an open draw?