Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

New catchphrase lads... big dick said so

Tubberman

Big Dickie must have had a good chat with his fellow farney man,he sang the tune he was taught!
I can't help feeling the super 8 will widen the gap between the haves and have nots. It will be great viewing for a couple of years, but then people will get sick of seeing the same teams coming out of it year after year.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

theticklemister

I agree tubberman.

Big dick said as he was told

BennyCake

People are already sick of the same teams year on year.

Open draw is the only way to go. Will never happen though

moysider

Quote from: BennyCake on February 19, 2017, 11:56:53 PM

It will never happen because it would be a disaster.

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on February 19, 2017, 10:59:35 PM
Big Dickie must have had a good chat with his fellow farney man,he sang the tune he was taught!
I can't help feeling the super 8 will widen the gap between the haves and have nots. It will be great viewing for a couple of years, but then people will get sick of seeing the same teams coming out of it year after year.

But will it be great viewing? Dragging out an already too long championship just to make a few bucks and cover for the fall in attendances, without really addressing why people are turning away from the game.

I can't believe any county board would be so base as to support this motion just in the vain hope of a few extra Euro.

Oh wait. I can.

It's everyone that's not in the Super Nth that need the extra games..

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on February 20, 2017, 12:18:49 AM

In an ideal world it would not, but as has been said numerous times here, (using my own county as an exsmple) Mayo v Wexford wouldn't have the same appeal to it as Mayo v Galway in the first round.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyCake

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 20, 2017, 07:29:45 AM

In an ideal world it would not, but as has been said numerous times here, (using my own county as an exsmple) Mayo v Wexford wouldn't have the same appeal to it as Mayo v Galway in the first round.

But Mayo Galway never play in the first round. And is Mayo Wexford any less appealing than Kerry Waterford or Dublin Carlow?

Zulu

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 20, 2017, 07:29:45 AM

Why would it be a disaster? And Mayo v Dublin would be far more attractive than Mayo v Galway. There is very little to recommend the current system so a change is urgently required. The issue should be what the new system is not whether the current one should be changed.

BennyCake

If super 8s is passed, it'll be 3 competitions in one. Provincial c'ships are pointless and devalued, time to get rid. Back door is boring. Even Ulster, the most competitive is boring and pointless. The whole c'ship doesn't get remotely interesting until August. The c'ship needs woken up with a bang in May/June, with a humdinger weekend of games like Kerry Mayo or Dublin Tyrone. Straight knock out, no second chance. People would go mental for tickets.

Farrandeelin

I did say in an ideal world. The point I'm trying to make is that there would be more tension in a Mayo Galway match than Mayo Wexford, Carlow. Even in the Mayo/Tipp semi last year, the butterflies never really surfaced because there is no real rivalry there. But it is worth trying as you said Benny.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Zulu

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 20, 2017, 10:19:52 AM
I did say in an ideal world. The point I'm trying to make is that there would be more tension in a Mayo Galway match than Mayo Wexford, Carlow. Even in the Mayo/Tipp semi last year, the butterflies never really surfaced because there is no real rivalry there. But it is worth trying as you said Benny.

But Farr you compared the biggest Connacht rivalry against a non-event. Leitrim Mayo would hardly get many Mayo fans nervous, in contrast Mayo against Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal, Cork, Kerry, Dublin and maybe a few more would.

The bottom line is what we have doesn't work so lets try something else.

Esmarelda

Quote from: BennyCake on February 20, 2017, 10:14:53 AM
If super 8s is passed, it'll be 3 competitions in one. Provincial c'ships are pointless and devalued, time to get rid. Back door is boring. Even Ulster, the most competitive is boring and pointless. The whole c'ship doesn't get remotely interesting until August. The c'ship needs woken up with a bang in May/June, with a humdinger weekend of games like Kerry Mayo or Dublin Tyrone. Straight knock out, no second chance. People would go mental for tickets.
Benny, I don't quite follow. Is it an open draw you're suggesting? So the chances of Dublin v Tyrone coming out are the same as Dublin v Carlow. What would be the point in that. And if you did somehow get Kerry v Mayo and Dublin v Tyrone in the first round, and all that goes with it, surely the subsequent rounds would be weaker with these teams eliminated?

When is congress by the way?

Rossfan

I mentioned the phrase Super 8 the day the proposal was announced.
I think it's the other 24 that need round Robin games which would help teams with potential to improve and be competitive with the big 8.

Can't believe that some people are still promoting the 32 County open draw lottery.
At least the Semis and most quarter finals are competitive under the present system but if good teams were knocking each other out along the way we'll be back to the kind of semi final massacres we used to have in the 70s, 80's and early 90s.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Esmarelda on February 20, 2017, 11:04:07 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 20, 2017, 10:14:53 AM
Benny, I don't quite follow. Is it an open draw you're suggesting? So the chances of Dublin v Tyrone coming out are the same as Dublin v Carlow. What would be the point in that. And if you did somehow get Kerry v Mayo and Dublin v Tyrone in the first round, and all that goes with it, surely the subsequent rounds would be weaker with these teams eliminated?

When is congress by the way?

Yes chances are low of Krry Dublin say but not impossible. Even if we had no big games in the first round, odds are we would in second. So really we could see Kerry, Dublin or Mayo go out after 2 games. It would mean teams play at same time, same amount of games, fixed calendar etc.

And yes, if we had Kerry Mayo, Dub Tyrone in first round, that would mean we maybe had Carlow Leitrim Antrim etc progressing further but you say that like it's a bad thing. Why shouldn't the weaker teams get to an AI semi, and afforded the opportunity because of the luck of the draw? Think of what a Carlow Antrim AI semi would do for those counties. Everyone moans because they're sick of Kerry Dublin Mayo in last 4 yet moan too of the possibility of a Leitrim or Louth getting there!