Kilkenny

Started by seafoid, May 04, 2016, 04:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Would you listen to yas! We are talking about Cody, his teams have out performed the Tipps, Corks, Limericks Waterfords since he took over!

They duffed Limerick handy enough and while the first half they didn't finish as strong as they would have liked they were still in the game.

The sending off was huge, (justified)  especially since they were to sub Hogan! Granted lumping the ball into a full forward line that was out muscled by an extra man wasn't the best move, but you can't assassinate the man for one defeat.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

My thinking on it was right, in at half-time and KK will play to a system.  Regroup, play the short game and try to tip (pardon the pun) over a few points and stay in game.  Game  of Tipp V Wexford should have told them to go short and keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Was disappointing that KK went for the long ball too early - very similar to the Wexfod Lenister Final game, where they lobbed the ball into the square with 5 or 6 mins early. 

On Sunday, no need to force the goal so early, keep the points going.  Plus when they stationed T.J., Walter and Fennelly in the square, there was zero movement laterally across the line.

I was just hoping, with 15mins at half-time, they'd have better tactics for the second half.

clonadmad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 20, 2019, 08:49:16 PM
Would you listen to yas! We are talking about Cody, his teams have out performed the Tipps, Corks, Limericks Waterfords since he took over!

They duffed Limerick handy enough and while the first half they didn't finish as strong as they would have liked they were still in the game.

The sending off was huge, (justified)  especially since they were to sub Hogan! Granted lumping the ball into a full forward line that was out muscled by an extra man wasn't the best move, but you can't assassinate the man for one defeat.

Tipp and Kk have played each other in 6 deciders

It stands at 3 apiece now,

09 Tipp could have and should have beaten Kk,in 14 they were millmetres from beating them

In those 3 finals that they have lost ,Tipp have beaten them by a cumulative total of 31 points.

Cody is some man to set up a team when it has to be done on the fly not so much.

Lamping ball after ball into a Tipp full back line where Barrett was operating as the extra man and where the dogs in the street knew that the Tipp backs would foul continuously if ran at was an inexplicable  error

That's even before we get to him playing an injured Buckley,Hogan who was struggling even in the warm up and Adrian Mullen who spent a night on a drip midweek in St.Lukes,You'd wonder why he hadn't learnt from Tennyson and Shefflin in 2010

In 2016,The Tipp Full Forward line scored 2-21 and he didn't very little to counter act this despite having the likes of Jackie Tyrell in the stand.

north_antrim_hound

"They duffed Limerick handy enough"
Lol limerick didn't show up to the second half, shot 15 wides and it still took a controversial decision about the 65 for KK to get past them.
He has only beat a sheedy team in a final once and needed a dodgy penalty to do it.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

seafoid

You need more than luck to win an all Ireland.
KK were lucky that Lee Chin missed a free back in June and got another bit in the semi final.
They had to score a goal in the third quarter and kick on but they couldn't.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on August 20, 2019, 11:28:05 PM

Lol limerick didn't show up to the second half, shot 15 wides and it still took a controversial decision about the 65 for KK to get past them.
He has only beat a sheedy team in a final once and needed a dodgy penalty to do it.

One could argue that Kilkenny didnt allow Limerick to have tap overs and the pressure put on the Limerick lads to shot resulted in 15 wides. Controversial or not, Kikenny wee by far the better team on the day and didnt look like losing.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2019, 01:05:36 PM

One could argue that Kilkenny didnt allow Limerick to have tap overs and the pressure put on the Limerick lads to shot resulted in 15 wides. Controversial or not, Kikenny wee by far the better team on the day and didnt look like losing.

Did you watch the match, the main talking points about the match was the wides when they weren't under pressure
Limerick are the best team in the  Country and blew it in the semi against a very average KK side that had been beaten twice this year already.
Cody gets a lot of credit for managing the best crop of players that ever lifted hurls. Now without embarrassing resources he maybe showing us he's maybe not the genius the national press portray him to be.
When tipps forwards ripped them apart in 2016 he left his FB line exposed and did nothing for the whole match.
When His team was lobbing aimless ball on top of Cahal Barret and the mahers he did nothing again.
All managers and players are subjected to scrutiny when it goes wrong on here why should he be any different.
This thread isn't called " let's all nut hug Kilkenny" is it

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on August 21, 2019, 01:50:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2019, 01:05:36 PM

Did you watch the match, the main talking points about the match was the wides when they weren't under pressure
Limerick are the best team in the  Country and blew it in the semi against a very average KK side that had been beaten twice this year already.
Cody gets a lot of credit for managing the best crop of players that ever lifted hurls. Now without embarrassing resources he maybe showing us he's maybe not the genius the national press portray him to be.
When tipps forwards ripped them apart in 2016 he left his FB line exposed and did nothing for the whole match.
When His team was lobbing aimless ball on top of Cahal Barret and the mahers he did nothing again.
All managers and players are subjected to scrutiny when it goes wrong on here why should he be any different.
This thread isn't called " let's all nut hug Kilkenny" is it

Its not and I'm in agreemnet that Hogan should have been sent off and that Tipp started to look hungry leading up to the sending off and if Kilkenny hadn't changed their match ups in the second half they'd have been in trouble.

I also mentioned lumbing balls into the forward line was wrong.. I didnt say the Cat's were hard done by but I'll not be judging a mans career on this match, I'm not saying thats what people are doing but it comes across slightly that he was devoid of ideas, he was playing with what he had, I'd say injuries didnt help and not performing on the day (second half mainly) resulted in a poor performance from all involved. His players need to take some of the blame here also.

north_antrim_hound

What was wrong with saying Buckley is struggling on Mc grath and Connor Browne had done a great job on Lynch in the semis but no he left Buckley who is just back from injury on Noel Mc Grath who continued to deliver in the balls that did all the damage.
Get on top in midfield and work the ball through the lines like the first half when they got fouled for all those frees.
Ok a clown like me needs the benefit of hindsight but he's supposed to be the dogs danglys when it comes to reading the game in real time.
Maybe I'm giving him loads because he's been very ungracious about the referee and blaming him when it's was hogan who blew it. He wasn't whining as much when Tommy Dunne got the line a few years back or when kirwan gave them a soft penalty.
If every call ( 65 at the death )was made right in the semi sure they might not be there

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on August 21, 2019, 02:22:19 PM
What was wrong with saying Buckley is struggling on Mc grath and Connor Browne had done a great job on Lynch in the semis but no he left Buckley who is just back from injury on Noel Mc Grath who continued to deliver in the balls that did all the damage.
Get on top in midfield and work the ball through the lines like the first half when they got fouled for all those frees.
Ok a clown like me needs the benefit of hindsight but he's supposed to be the dogs danglys when it comes to reading the game in real time.
Maybe I'm giving him loads because he's been very ungracious about the referee and blaming him when it's was hogan who blew it. He wasn't whining as much when Tommy Dunne got the line a few years back or when kirwan gave them a soft penalty.
If every call ( 65 at the death )was made right in the semi sure they might not be there

He's very hard on things relating to 'his' team, very Fergie like in a way, he's plenty of faults but in real time on big occasions (and he's seen plenty) you can only do so much from the line. As a manager, you feel that in games and I'm only taking about club games, can you imagine trying to reassemble your team after losing a player in the big match? 

My concern was that he'd all of halftime to fix it and his plan didnt pay off! His leadership and track record speaks for itself and I'll not be too hard on him, plenty can't wait to see the back of him, I wonder how they talk about him in Kilkenny?

gallsman

Quote from: clonadmad on August 20, 2019, 10:17:07 PM

09 Tipp could have and should have beaten Kk,in 14 they were millmetres from beating them

In those 3 finals that they have lost ,Tipp have beaten them by a cumulative total of 31 points.

Ten years later, are people still really trying to push this myth?

Have seen a lot of guff proclaiming tipp the team of the decade on Twitter since Sunday. Since "this" Tipp team emerged in '09 they've had, by my count, 8 championship meetings with 2014 counting as one meeting. It's 5-3 to KK with 3 all Irelands each, an almighty drubbing in the 2012 semi for KK included. Kk have also beaten then in four League finals in that period, with Tipp failing to win a single League title. Does anyone who is capable of ignoring recency bias actually think Tipp are the team of the decade?!

manfromdelmonte

I always discount semi finals

They are there to be won or lost
They often have no reflection on a final

johnnycool

Quote from: gallsman on August 21, 2019, 10:04:09 PM

Have seen a lot of guff proclaiming tipp the team of the decade on Twitter since Sunday. Since "this" Tipp team emerged in '09 they've had, by my count, 8 championship meetings with 2014 counting as one meeting. It's 5-3 to KK with 3 all Irelands each, an almighty drubbing in the 2012 semi for KK included. Kk have also beaten then in four League finals in that period, with Tipp failing to win a single League title. Does anyone who is capable of ignoring recency bias actually think Tipp are the team of the decade?!

Kilkenny still lifted 4 AI's in this decade to 3 for Tipp, so it's KK for me even if it was the earlier part of the decade and not as fresh in peoples minds.

Cody has managed KK to 11 AI's, that will need be achieved again, but as someone alluded to he also like Fergie may be outstaying his welcome and like Fergie may have stayed for one last horrah (Fergie managed his) and failed.

The style of hurling has changed, but at times you think Kilkenny are still sticking with the tried and tested, outwork and overpower your opponent, force the errors and punish them on the scoreboard.

Not a lot wrong with that, but when some team competes and betters you in the physicality stakes, nullifies your best players you need something more than putting TJ, Walter and Fennelly under a high ball and hope for the best.
It smacks of lack of trust in the young guns and yes, they're not Henry Shefflins, Eddie Brennans or Eoin Larkins, but at least play ball in that suits their skillset.

I can see Paul Murphy hang up the boots, there's a year or two left in TJ Reid and probably Fennelly. Wally needs to become a leader and failed miserably at that when out caught two or three times by Heffernan and the Mahers in the second half. He failed to stand up.  Buckley is a fine hurler but the long injury spell affected him badly and he should be a more formidable player next year.
Hogan, I'm not so sure about. Yes, terrible way for him to go out but I really can't see Cody (If he goes another year) doing sentiment as you get the impression that Cody doesn't totally buy into him now.

Big Lawlor at fullback is a find all the same and the much maligned Joey Holden had a stormer of a year.
They may have rode their luck to get to an AI final, but Kilkenny will never be too far away.

imtommygunn

Jc Ferguson won the league in his last year with a poor squad, imo if kk had won Sunday it would have been maybe his greatest victory in a similar vein. Sunday's team has nowhere near the ability of his winning teams and on paper should have been beat out the gate by limerick.

I also think it is a genuinely held belief that hogan shouldn't have been sent off rather than an excuse. It's wrong but at least genuine...

clonadmad

Quote from: gallsman on August 21, 2019, 10:04:09 PM

It will be up there with the myth soon enough of Hogan not getting sent off and then Kk winning in 19.

The only currency that counts in either county is  all ireland wins

And it now stands at 3 apiece.