Strange training methods

Started by blewuporstuffed, July 24, 2009, 11:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

I'm sure alot of you have heard the story about john Morrison making the derry squad walk along a plank over a skip in the car park and getting them to@dump out there negative feelings after a particularly heavy defeat to Tyrone.

Got me thinking about strange/ funny training that you have been made do with your clubs.
there must be plenty cause there are some head-the-balls out there taking club teams!!

Whats the rarest thing you've been asked to do at training/ before a match?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

longball

We used to have to stand up on a stage and fall backwards into the other players arms as a sign that we all trust each other. some c*nts that i just didnt want anyone to catch.
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

guevara

Done that one myself LB!

Not fecking funny though when some smartarse forgets to catch somebody because he's too busy chatting about Shameless!!  ;D
Strange ones Ive experienced having Sports Psychologist make us think of a buzz word like "Aggression" & players would shout it randomnly at eachother during a game to get everyone psyched up & focused.
We were like a load of boys with tourettes. Other teams hadnt a fecking clue what was happening!!!!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

longball

we done the same guevara with the buzz word just think ours was focus.

INDIANA

Getting a skip and leaving your negative thoughts in it?

bingobus

One one for Juveniles to teach them to listen carefully.

Gather them in a corner of field and tell them on the first whistle that they are to turn and run as fast as they can in the direction they are facing and on the second one, they are to turn and run back to you.
The ones not listening or thinking will turn and run like f**k on the first whistle as far as they can. The cute ones will run and jog a little, keeping close to you.

On their return , some of them will have run the lenght of the pitch in a sprint and others have run about 20 yards at a jog.

Its good laugh the one time you can do it and you will probably be able to name the ejits who sprint off before you start.

JMohan

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 24, 2009, 11:26:49 AM
I'm sure alot of you have heard the story about john Morrison making the derry squad walk along a plank over a skip in the car park and getting them to@dump out there negative feelings after a particularly heavy defeat to Tyrone.

Got me thinking about strange/ funny training that you have been made do with your clubs.
there must be plenty cause there are some head-the-balls out there taking club teams!!

AFAIK .... while John Morrision has said he did that - I think you'll struggle to find the Derry players he did it with.

I.e. it never happened.

EugeneGeraghty

John Morrison sent the whole Mayo panel Valentine's day cards one year as well. He thought Paul McGrane to catch ball at its heighest point using balloons

longball

Just the other nite at training management had set up a fist pass drill to start training, he clearly never thought the drill through and it just didnt work. Everyone was running round like headless chickens. Funny cause the next day at work i ven got diagrams sent to me from fellow team mates explaining how the drill could never work.  :D

AbbeySider

Quote from: JMohan on July 24, 2009, 11:52:56 AM

AFAIK .... while John Morrision has said he did that - I think you'll struggle to find the Derry players he did it with.

I.e. it never happened.

I know for a fact that he did it with Mayo.
He brought the skip into the middle of the pitch in McHale park.

full back

Quote from: bingobus on July 24, 2009, 11:44:43 AM
One one for Juveniles to teach them to listen carefully.

Gather them in a corner of field and tell them on the first whistle that they are to turn and run as fast as they can in the direction they are facing and on the second one, they are to turn and run back to you.
The ones not listening or thinking will turn and run like f**k on the first whistle as far as they can. The cute ones will run and jog a little, keeping close to you.

On their return , some of them will have run the lenght of the pitch in a sprint and others have run about 20 yards at a jog.

Its good laugh the one time you can do it and you will probably be able to name the ejits who sprint off before you start.

Does this make me a juvenile
I dont get it :-[

JMohan

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 24, 2009, 11:58:41 AM

I.e. it never happened.

He could have done it in Mayo - If you're so categoric I'll presume you were there or heard it at least 2nd hand - so fair enough!!!

longball

Another one i just thought of, it was under a decent trainer at this time thou. Anyway, we were doing a fist pass drill and it was goin well. Then a member of the managment shall we call him TD  :-\ anyway he said its all fine and well doing a fist pass drill here on a good nite but we dont know what kind of weather we will be up against in Beragh. So he went and took out the hose. we continued with the fist pass drill while TD turned the hose on us.

AbbeySider

When we were U14 or U16 our manager pulled the craziest stunt... you wont believe this one.

We were playing a match and one of the lads scored a point kicking backwards. He was twisting and turning and counldnt get the shot off in the normal fashion so he kicked it over his shoulder... and it went over. Pure fluke but he kind of meant it.

You guessed it. We spent about 20 minutes in subsequent training sessions practising it!
Can you imagine for a second, young lads practising soloing towards the posts, turning their back and trying to kick it backwards over their shoulder when nobody was near them? Again, and again...

Needless to say that manager didnt last too long before he was ran!

But we still remember it and look back and laugh!  :D

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 24, 2009, 11:58:41 AM

I.e. it never happened.

As far as I know it did happen with Derry aswell, heard it from a reliable Derry source
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either