Hatton V Mayweather

Started by lurganblue, August 01, 2007, 07:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/6920484.stm

looks like Hatton vs Mayweather is on!! i've been looking forward to the possibility of this fight for a while now. Interesting to see that Hatton has agreed to move up a weight for the fight even though he was lucky to come away with a victory the last time he went to that weight.

Whats people's views on this one? i still reckon Mayweather's quick hands will be too much for him.

Square Ball

cant wait to see this one, Hatton is a great fighter, solid defence, good in the attack, but I think Mayweather has a lot more coming forward, cant see it going the distance mind you and cant wait until the American hype machine gets into full swing
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

CiKe

cant see it being a stoppage unless its Mayweather winning on cuts as not sure either man has the power to stop the other. I would think Hatton will give him a fairly tough night and try and rough him up on the inside but Mayweather's defence is fantastic both fighting from the outside and in where he blocks so many punches as was evidenced in the DLH fight. Hatton may be strong enough to back him up but he wont be caught backing off in straight lines as Tszyu did - I fancy the Pretty Boy to win by around four points.

Yer Ma

I haven't actually saw Mayweather fight yet, but if the many reports I have read are true then he should be too quick for Hatton and it could be quite one sided. I'd go for Mayweather inside the distance, though I'd love Hatton to shut his mouth.

lurganblue

Quote from: Yer Ma on August 01, 2007, 10:22:59 PM
I haven't actually saw Mayweather fight yet, but if the many reports I have read are true then he should be too quick for Hatton and it could be quite one sided. I'd go for Mayweather inside the distance, though I'd love Hatton to shut his mouth.

cant see it being totally one sided. it'll be a good contrast though with hatton working the body and Mayweather quick combinations to the head.

There are lots of clips of Mayweather on youtube Yer Ma.... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LciIie3a_bQ&mode=related&search= here's one.

although its not the same as seeing a full fight you can see glimpses of his quick hands and how well he goes forward. Hatton will need to avoid cuts big time...

Dinny Breen

Wouldn't be too confident that Hatton can step up to the weight, would fancy Mayweather. Penciled in for December 8th, should be on Setanta, their coverage of his last fight was brilliant..
#newbridgeornowhere

Yer Ma

Quote from: lurganblue on August 01, 2007, 10:53:12 PM
Quote from: Yer Ma on August 01, 2007, 10:22:59 PM

cant see it being totally one sided. it'll be a good contrast though with hatton working the body and Mayweather quick combinations to the head.

There are lots of clips of Mayweather on youtube Yer Ma.... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LciIie3a_bQ&mode=related&search= here's one.

although its not the same as seeing a full fight you can see glimpses of his quick hands and how well he goes forward. Hatton will need to avoid cuts big time...

If he's half nifty on his feet then Hatton's big challenge will be cutting off the ring to get close. It's a really tall order for Hatton in that he'll have to keep on top of the guy all night given that he's not a concussive puncher and like you say he cuts easy too. Hatton has also slowed badly in a couple of fights that went the distance recently.

Square Ball

5 months to go and its started already

Hatton fires back at Mayweather 

It really doesn't bother me at all - when you beat someone like that it makes it all the sweeter

Hatton on Mayweather's talk
Ricky Hatton says he is determined to make Floyd Mayweather eat his words when the two meet in their welterweight fight in Las Vegas on 8 December.
Mayweather has already kicked off the war of words ahead of the super-fight, labelling Hatton "fat" and "garbage".

But Hatton told Five Live: "Soon the talk stops and we'll be in the ring.

"In Vegas I did not meet anyone with a good word to say for him. The way he disrespects fighters, it's no wonder everyone wants me to knock him out."

Mayweather, considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in boxing today, will start the match as the overwhelming favourite, despite coming out of retirement to take the match.

But, while he says Hatton is in for a "rude awakening", the Mancunian insists he is happy for the 30-year-old American to keep bad mouthing him ahead of the fight.

"It is all water off a duck's back to me," he said. "He says the same about every fighter - I don't think he's been respectful to a fighter in his life.

"He has been bad mouthing me for months, even before the fight was signed, but I don't think anybody takes any notice of him anymore. I'll just put the ear-plugs in and let him get on with it.

"It really doesn't bother me at all. When you beat someone like that it makes it all the sweeter.

"The fact is, I don't think he liked me coming out to Las Vegas - his home town - last time out with 10,000 of my own fans and putting on a great show and earning a great win against Jose Luis Castillo. He didn't like that and has come out of retirement."

Anyone who says I haven't got a chance doesn't know what they're talking about - I've got a massive chance

Ricky Hatton

And Hatton insists he can upset the odds and create what would be one of the biggest shocks in boxing history.

"He's claiming that I've never fought anyone like him before," said the 28-year-old.

"But he won't have faced anyone who pressures the way I can, I assure you.

"Look at the two fights he came closest to losing - against Castillo first time and against Oscar de la Hoya. Both those fighters put pressure on him and he didn't like it.

"Well I like to think I'm 'Mr Pressure'.

"Regardless of what I think of him as a person, as a fighter he is second to none. But ability and speed is only good against someone who lets you use it, so anyone who says I haven't got a chance doesn't know what they're talking about.

"I've got a massive chance."

may get tiresome after a while...
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Gabriel_Hurl

Just seen clips of the press conference from Manchester today - two good lines from Hatton

Mayweather was dancing round Hatton when Hatton was about to talk...

"Hes f**ked if he dances like that on dancing with the stars"

Then when talking about being away from home on a promotional tour he said

"I didn't really miss my son, cos I got to spend the week with another f**king 6-year old!"

http://www.youtube.com/v/jl5M0fo4BWw

screenexile

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 21, 2007, 02:59:13 PM
Just seen clips of the press conference from Manchester today - two good lines from Hatton

Mayweather was dancing round Hatton when Hatton was about to talk...

"Hes f**ked if he dances like that on dancing with the stars"

Then when talking about being away from home on a promotional tour he said

"I didn't really miss my son, cos I got to spend the week with another f**king 6-year old!"

http://www.youtube.com/v/jl5M0fo4BWw

That is one of the funniest press conferences I've ever seen!! Good work Gabe!

"Floyd will you stop touchin' me dick you poof!"

Gabriel_Hurl

Then Mayweather puts a Man United jersey on him

full back

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 21, 2007, 03:12:17 PM
Then Mayweather puts a Man United jersey on him

Always knew he had good taste ;)