A Genius in our Time - Discuss

Started by BarryBreensBandage, January 04, 2014, 01:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

Just finished watching Django Unchained - surely Tarantino has to be hailed as a genius director?
He has to be up there with the greats.
So, to kick this off, who are the people out there, living now, who will be known in 100 years time (Larry Reilly excluded)?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Syferus

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on January 04, 2014, 01:01:32 AM
Just finished watching Django Unchained - surely Tarantino has to be hailed as a genius director?
So, to kick this off, who are the people out there, living now, who will be known in 100 years time (Larry Reilly excluded)?

Gooch.

Lar Naparka

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Genius is a word bandied about recklessly. Over talented in a set area or field would be more a better description.

Maradonna, Salvadore Dali, Graucho Marx, Matt Groening, Garry Kasparov,Mohammed Ali, Stephen King, Matt Connor.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 04, 2014, 10:33:23 AM
Genius is a word bandied about recklessly. Over talented in a set area or field would be more a better description.

Maradonna, Salvadore Dali, Graucho Marx, Matt Groening, Garry Kasparov,Mohammed Ali, Stephen King, Matt Connor.
Huh? What about Ciaran Mac?? ;D
I think geniuses can be either good or bad and sometimes a mixture of both.
That's a matter of perspective, I suppose.
Both Haughey and Ahern were geniuses in my book and each left a very mixed legacy behind them. Hitler had to be a genius too but there was feck all good in his makeup.
Pity the frigger didn't stick to house painting.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

maigheo

After watching Django unchained ,I swore I will never watch another Q.T movie.Brutal movie.Genius my a*se

Jell 0 Biafra

Agreed.  Tarantino made one excellent movie (Reservoir Dogs)and one very good movie (Pulp Fiction).  Not much in the way of quality since, though they're sometimes entertaining enough.

lawnseed

Great show.. Especially sam l jacksons butler and his 'lequint dicky' monolog
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

lawnseed

Fresh out of genii at the moment. If there are any about they re probably in computer science or medical research no great individual inventors about its mostly companies doing research not many big names eg einstien.
If I had to pick.. I'd say ennio marroconi composer
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

NAG1

I give you Dusk til Dawn

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: NAG1 on January 06, 2014, 09:01:53 AM

I give you Dusk til Dawn

Every director is allowed to have a turkey!
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Asal Mor

I'd say Cody, Shefflin and Christy Moore will all become part of Irish folklore. Probably Keano and Big Jack too. The gooch and Dylan Moran deserve to be remembered forever as well.

thebigfella

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on January 06, 2014, 03:30:31 PM

I give you Dusk til Dawn

It was directed by Robert Rodriguez. Tarantino wrote the screenplay.

Tarantino movies always suffer the same problems (apart from reservoir dogs); lots of great scenes that don't really tie together and always feel as if they are 30 mins too long.

johnneycool

Quote from: thebigfella on January 06, 2014, 04:08:45 PM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on January 06, 2014, 03:30:31 PM

I give you Dusk til Dawn

It was directed by Robert Rodriguez. Tarantino wrote the screenplay.

Tarantino movies always suffer the same problems (apart from reservoir dogs); lots of great scenes that don't really tie together and always feel as if they are 30 mins too long.

I like Django (the D is silent) Unchained purely for entertainment, I'm sure there's loads of errors and all that, but its worth the watch even if there are strange scenes littered through it.

Tarantino in not a legend, but he's pretty good IMO.