Some people have nothing better to do

Started by Boolerhead Mel, September 12, 2008, 10:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boolerhead Mel

The below is taken from the BBC website. I think all workspaces should be neutral- no war memorials in Council chambers no pictures  of the Enniskillen bomb victims-no GAA flags NOTHING-I bet we won't see Arlene Foster supporting this lady the way she and Lord Humpty Dumpty (Morrow) mouthed of about the picture in Enniskillen fire station

A civil servant has been ordered to remove a Tyrone GAA flag from her car after a complaint from a colleague in Strabane.

The incident happened on Wednesday, when her car was parked at the town's benefits office on Urney Road.

The Social Security Agency said it had taken the decision because of a legal duty to maintain a neutral workplace.

However, Aodhan Harkin, of Sigersons GAA Club in Strabane, said a Tyrone flag was in no way offensive.

"I thought we had started to move on in this country," he said.

"We accept everybody else's cultures but we can't accept our own.

"I think there's something drastically wrong if somebody's offended by a Tyrone flag."

ord Humpty Dumpty (Morrow) mouthed of about the picture in Enniskillen fire station

dublinfella

Quote from: Boolerhead Mel on September 12, 2008, 10:51:40 AM
The below is taken from the BBC website. I think all workspaces should be neutral- no war memorials in Council chambers no pictures  of the Enniskillen bomb victims-no GAA flags NOTHING-I bet we won't see Arlene Foster supporting this lady the way she and Lord Humpty Dumpty (Morrow) mouthed of about the picture in Enniskillen fire station

So make up your mind. The complainant was either right or wrong, workplaces should be neutral or they shouldn't. Whats your point?

An Fear Rua

I wonder how much work she actually does in her car?
Its Grim up North

nifan

Ridiculous. Why someone would get offended by this is beyond me, though no doubt it happens.

Tankie

some lad has a union jack hanging from his desk in my place, would people think this is ok? nobody here seems to bothered by it at all.
Grand Slam Saturday!

nifan

I have a NI football mousemat if we are having an amnesty

Gnevin

A lad in my old job had a Meath Screen saver  >:( I complained but no one took me serious !  ;)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ziggysego

I have a Belgium flag flying from my desk. Should I hand that in too?
Testing Accessibility

theskull1

I can only think that it is related to the false reality that the tyrone flag is similar to the likes of a Tri-Colour/Union Jack and the Ulster Flag which I think show just how narrow minded SOME individuals are. We just have to rely on what darwin told us and let the theory of evolution do it's work  :-\

Just to clarify my own opinion

I have absolutely no problem with ANY flag. I'm more concerned about the true motivations of the person carrying/displaying it. So I suppose on relfection....there could be a chance that this flag was being used TO OFFEND rather than simply someone innoncently displaying their allegiance to the team. Thats the important question here.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

clarshack

you're always going to get bitter c*nts like this!

the colonel

a mate of mine had a jordanstown bag in his office at another firm and was called to the boss' office. he tried very much to hide it under the desk but was reported for it. his boss said she had no problem with it but someone else complained about it. apparenly the same woman talks about how great linfield are all day.

personally i think this kind of thing doesn't offend but the person who reports this kind of incident is petty.
the difference between success and failure is energy

Donagh

I've been wearing all manner of Kerry polo shirts into work for the past fortnight and no ones said a dickie bird to me about it.

Minder

I think the real issue is the welfare of the staff, how over worked would you be working in a benefits office in Strabane ?  :o
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Gs Man

I grew a ginger beard and bleached my hair.  Nobody has said anything but they have been pointing and laughing a lot.
Keep 'er lit

Down Gael

So a Tyrone flag with its Red Hand is deemed offensive, but the person who complained probably wouldnt complain about the bastardised Ulster flag seen on thousands of lamp posts throughout NI. Sh*t like this makes my piss boil.