Disciplinary hearings are destroying the game

Started by thewobbler, September 05, 2015, 06:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Yes i remember the Foley incident, from what i remember at the time everybody was laughing at him to take a amateur sporting organisation to court just so he could play in a game. Derry take a bow, you started all this shit son!!

Wildweasel74

John Mullane took his punishment and was correct in doing so, you heard all this crap about the GAA and its amateur ethos ands its all about the club and families etc, Theres more money floating round it now than never and the GAA got more like soccer where cheating is called brinkmanship and its all in the game.

Some team will lose a big game with a player sent off, a wrong ref decisions, a square ball and the losing team will go to court looking a replay, its only a matter of time, the GAA should actually increase failed appeals if unsuccessful as they do in other sports

magpie seanie

People are asking the wrong questions and coming to the wrong conclusions. The rulebook is not bad. It needs some tweaks but it's generally sound. The process, as it's supposed to work, is fairly sound.

The DRA had to be introduced because GAA Administration was failing and people had no confidence in it (and people were feeling strongly enough to go to court over it). People felt they were being treated differently because of who they were/where they came from. At least you knew if you went to the DRA it was independent and they'd apply the rules. That's all anyone could ask for. However, it seems to me that the burden of proof has shifted far too far in favour of the appellant so good legal teams can get people off all the time. I feel if there is a minor procedural issue it should not be enough to nullify a charge (perhaps reduce). The question I'd ask is this - why do these procedural mistakes keep being made? Fool me once.....etc. I've been involved in GAA disciplinary matters and like everyone, I've made mistakes. You learn though and don't make them again.

So in short - I don't think there's a whole lot wrong with the process or rules. Like a lot of things in this country it's the people unfortunately.