Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football

Started by APM, October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: Itchy on January 10, 2019, 08:23:56 AM
Quote from: Throw ball on January 09, 2019, 11:33:33 PM
Had my first look at the new rules in a properly competitive match tonight in Armagh. The kick out and sideline didn't seem much different and I don't think there was an offensive mark. The sin bin may be easier on the player black carded but the team does suffer a bigger punishment. Sadly I am going to have to go with majority and say if the 3 hand pass rule makes it into a championship match in future referees lives are going to get even tougher. Cassidy missed a couple of 4 hand passes and on one of these Armagh scored a point - and they only won by a point. Imagine the controversy if that happened in a big championship game.

Like I said earlier, I would support the dropping of counting handpasses in the opposition half which would stop a lot of the controversy on scores.

If a 4th hand pass is made backwards from the opposition half into your half does that count?
I just think its unworkable. Furthermore the GAA know it is unworkable. What they have done (rather cleverly) is to trial this rule to show up the lack of intelligence of people calling for this and other rule changes, thereby hopefully silencing this vocal minuscule minority of part time, bandwagon fans for a generation.

Itchy

Quote from: trailer on January 10, 2019, 09:05:03 AM
Had my first look at the new rules in a properly competitive match tonight in Armagh. The kick out and sideline didn't seem much different and I don't think there was an offensive mark. The sin bin may be easier on the player black carded but the team does suffer a bigger punishment. Sadly I am going to have to go with majority and say if the 3 hand pass rule makes it into a championship match in future referees lives are going to get even tougher. Cassidy missed a couple of 4 hand passes and on one of these Armagh scored a point - and they only won by a point. Imagine the controversy if that happened in a big championship game.

Like I said earlier, I would support the dropping of counting handpasses in the opposition half which would stop a lot of the controversy on scores.

If a 4th hand pass is made backwards from the opposition half into your half does that count?
I just think its unworkable. Furthermore the GAA know it is unworkable. What they have done (rather cleverly) is to trial this rule to show up the lack of intelligence of people calling for this and other rule changes, thereby hopefully silencing this vocal minuscule minority of part time, bandwagon fans for a generation.

There is a community in the US known as the Amish. They too are stuck in the past and resist change at all costs. You should check it out and see if you can join. I believe they are playing 30 a side GAA matches which run across multiple meadows in the different parishes. They also use the game for a bit of faction fighting which is the main attraction in truth. There are never more than 3 scores in a game. The ball weighs 3 stone and everybody has a mustache and a cap.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Itchy on January 10, 2019, 09:21:34 AM

There is a community in the US known as the Amish. They too are stuck in the past and resist change at all costs. You should check it out and see if you can join. I believe they are playing 30 a side GAA matches which run across multiple meadows in the different parishes. They also use the game for a bit of faction fighting which is the main attraction in truth. There are never more than 3 scores in a game. The ball weighs 3 stone and everybody has a mustache and a cap.

is this not what alot of people what to bring us back to?
Sure at least there is no sweepers
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BennyCake

The Amish have beards, not no moustaches  :P

Itchy

Quote from: BennyCake on January 10, 2019, 10:24:53 AM

You are right, there was a motion to bring in mustaches last year and it was defeated as Mickey Harte and Rory Gallagher hate them.

Maiden1

Quote from: Itchy on January 10, 2019, 11:04:15 AM

You are right, there was a motion to bring in mustaches last year and it was defeated as Mickey Harte and Rory Gallagher hate them.
That probably explains this then.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/tyrone/mickey-harte-loses-two-of-tyrone-backroom-lieutenants-30489204.html
There are no proofs, only opinions.

johnnycool

Playing rules aside I think that the sin bin has to be a given and even do away with the black card altogether as it was only ever a sop to gurning managers when the sin bin was first mooted.

Yellow card offence, off you pop there big lad.

Losing a lad for 10 minutes is a much bigger punishment on the team than having to replace someone for the rest of the game.

The attacking mark won't have the necessary effect until teams furnish themselves with big target men and there's only a handful of them about with fast, mobile players the preference these last number of years.

Itchy

Quote from: Maiden1 on January 10, 2019, 11:54:10 AM

That probably explains this then.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/tyrone/mickey-harte-loses-two-of-tyrone-backroom-lieutenants-30489204.html

QED

joemamas

don't they all wear Black and white, it would be like watching Sligo play every weekend.

Ringfort

I was extremely sceptical about the new rules but based on the Ros Sligo game today I feel they might be worth persevering with. The main rule out of them all is the 3 hand passes. It is actually forcing a fundamental change away from the possession/recycling style that's evolved over the last few years. You could see lads today consciously avoiding making that second and third hand pass in case it landed your teammate in trouble. There was much more foot passing on display, admittedly much of it short and safe but I'd prefer that to the looping around the 45 popping hand passes x infinity we've become accustomed to. There were plenty of turnovers and I felt it exciting to watch that if 2 hand passes were made you were acutely aware that the next pass choice was critical - putting a man in possession after 3 hand passes puts him in dodgy territory, thus there was more ambitious balls kicked inside and definitely more lads taking riskier shots rather than fisting it out again to "hold possession".

Even the maligned sideline kick forward might be a positive. Sligo got one in near the 21. They had no option but to go for the point, it landed in around the small square and there was a bit of a scramble to get it clear. That's better for both teams and sets of spectators than a kick back to the 45 and another round of looping runs and fist passes across in front of the blanket.

I'd be inclined to give all this a chance based on,admittedly , only one viewing.

giveballaghback

Quote from: Ringfort on January 13, 2019, 10:08:58 PM
I was extremely sceptical about the new rules but based on the Ros Sligo game today I feel they might be worth persevering with. The main rule out of them all is the 3 hand passes. It is actually forcing a fundamental change away from the possession/recycling style that's evolved over the last few years. You could see lads today consciously avoiding making that second and third hand pass in case it landed your teammate in trouble. There was much more foot passing on display, admittedly much of it short and safe but I'd prefer that to the looping around the 45 popping hand passes x infinity we've become accustomed to. There were plenty of turnovers and I felt it exciting to watch that if 2 hand passes were made you were acutely aware that the next pass choice was critical - putting a man in possession after 3 hand passes puts him in dodgy territory, thus there was more ambitious balls kicked inside and definitely more lads taking riskier shots rather than fisting it out again to "hold possession".

Even the maligned sideline kick forward might be a positive. Sligo got one in near the 21. They had no option but to go for the point, it landed in around the small square and there was a bit of a scramble to get it clear. That's better for both teams and sets of spectators than a kick back to the 45 and another round of looping runs and fist passes across in front of the blanket.

I'd be inclined to give all this a chance based on,admittedly , only one viewing.
Agree with all of that ringfort plus the forward mark gives options for some long deliveries, managers against it are the ones who have systems in place and im sure these changes will change the way the game is currently being played. Yes there will be mistakes made by officials while they are being bedded in but I think they will improve the game and maybe skilful footballers may get a chance to play a bit again.

cornerback

https://twitter.com/BMG_11/status/1084734505070534656

Derry blown up for 1 handpass in a row!! Is that even a thing!!??  And also, 2 handpasses in a row.

Tyrone twice got away with 4 handpasses in a row - both resulting in scores.

Rossfan

Agree with ringfort and Ballagh.
Positive sort of experience yesterday - except we have no midfield.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Redhand Santa

I don't know how anyone thinks the 3 handpass rule will improve the game. It penalises the attacking team trying to break down the blanket defence. It makes it even more rewarding to have loads of men back as you know after the third pass you can bottle the player up. And even if the player gets the kick pass away it inevitably goes backwards outside the 50 to where someone is free. I could see some merit in the rule out the pitch but handpasses are one of the few ways you can work your way through a blanket defence. Teams are also trying to do the kickpassing out the pitch and are only doing safe passes so it's not exactly encouraging the long ball in.

I've seen numerous good attacking plays broken down because of the 4th pass being blown up when a kick wasn't on. It's also an added pressure on referees who will make mistakes try to count so many things.

The other rules I would be less concerned with. Particularly the kick out one which I think should be trialled.

I do worry there will be controversy over whether the ball has travelled the right distance for an attacking mark. It will also lead to more men back trying to avoid teams getting easy scores from them.

Personally if you want to open up the game a bit I think the only way is to go 13 a side and have a rule about having to keep so many players up the pitch. It might still be hard to police at club level but none of the other rules are easy either. It would create a lot more space and open the game up a bit.