Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Bouchier was doing waterboy at the U21 Final this year as far as I remember. I assumed at the time he was injured but still involved with the squad. But his personal circumstances wouldn't allow for football at the moment I'd imagine, greater commitments to deal with.

Does anybody know what the story is with the U21 management for next year? Is Terry going for both roles? Whoever steps into the breach if he decided to focus on the seniors will have big shoes to fill. I'd leave McCabe with the Minors for another year and let him try to right the wrongs of this year. Peter Reilly or Carolan perhaps?

mylestheslasher

Peter Reilly and Joe McArdle are new u21 managers is what I heard.

rodney trotter

Is it not Joe McCarthy? Don't know of a Joe McArdle.

McCarthy was involved with the u21s the last 3 years as a selector

boojangles

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on August 28, 2012, 11:29:07 AM
Anybody see anybody in the championship that has really impressed. Watched McKiernan against BBoro at the weekend had a great first half but as it was a dead rubber not sure you could tell much from it. Curran was also impressive. After that the Cootehill lads really pulled the game out of the fire against Ballyhaise where I though apart from Tierney were not up to much in the forward line. So I suppose so far have have not really seen a stand out game where anybody new is standing out

Haven't seen near as many games this year as I would like to have but from the games I was at or involved in I was impressed with:

Mark Teevan ( Belturbet) Big, strong lad. Offers a lot to Belturbet both going forward and tracking back. Good man to find space for himself.
Johnny Klushe (Belturbet) Alot like Teevan. Good in the air.
Kevin Mc Connell (Belturbet) Very strong and brave, superb fitness and work rate.
Niall Reilly ( Ballinagh) Very comfortable and elusive on the ball, good tackler.
Rory Dunne (Redhills) Big, strong, good in the air. Could be an option for Full-back.
Kevin Smith (Ballinagh) Fast, strong, good reader of breaks, good in front of goal.

With a bit of work and man to man coaching these lads would be capable of the step up to IC level IMO. I'm pretty sure there are plenty more around the county who haven't been given a chance. Whether they are committed or can commit is another matter but we definitely have the raw materials in Cavan to be doing a lot better than we currently are at Senior level.

Denn Forever

QuoteDon't know of a Joe McArdle.

Didn't he play with the  Kingscourt and Cavan teams of the 80s with Joe Dillon, Jim Reilly and the Faulkners?  Cornerback for Cavan?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BallyhaiseMan

PP Galligan(Mullahoran) - Best midfielder i've seen play in the championship this year by a large stretch.
Dean Connolly(Cootehill)
Boo
I'd agree with all those names other than Chops(Kevin McConnell).
Hes just too small for Senior Inter county level in my opinion.
Unless the player is exceptionally gifted,we need to forget about the men of 5'8 and 5'9.
An intercounty team during  can  afford maybe 1 of them at most in their starting 15.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 29, 2012, 03:47:49 PM

Didn't he play with the  Kingscourt and Cavan teams of the 80s with Joe Dillon, Jim Reilly and the Faulkners?  Cornerback for Cavan?

He probaly did yeah, i was born in the late 80's so wouldn't know tbh.

Eoin Cusack- Crosserlough is a good footballer, can play midfield, half forward. Teevan is a very good player, been playing good stuff for a few years with Belturbet, never played any level with Cavan. Been very impressed with Oisin O Connnell aswell. Hasn't been great stuff so far, hopefully the quarter finals show up better games.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 29, 2012, 03:54:03 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on August 29, 2012, 03:47:49 PM

He probaly did yeah, i was born in the late 80's so wouldn't know tbh.

Eoin Cusack- Crosserlough is a good footballer, can play midfield, half forward. Teevan is a very good player, been playing good stuff for a few years with Belturbet, never played any level with Cavan. Been very impressed with Oisin O Connnell aswell. Hasn't been great stuff so far, hopefully the quarter finals show up better games.

He has been brilliant for Castlerahan this year. Anytime i seen them in the league(havent seen them in championship yet) he was their stand out player.

scoopmine

Thats Barry Mcardle he managed Kingscourt a few years back and Corduff when the got to the Ulster final against Swad.

Joe Mac is involved with the senior set up. I'm unsure of the u21s

PhilsJemmysField

Big night for Jim Smith in Killinkere if anybody interested when times were good (he had 13 Ulster championships)
The second link gives more a flavour of the old times

http://www.hoganstand.com/cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=176383

http://www.hoganstand.com/cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=62298

rodney trotter

I was at the Crosserlough/Drung and Cootehil/Killeshandra, and also 3 games yesterday which was a mistake, Lacken/Drumlane followed by Tport/Maghera and Mullahoran/Ballinagh..

A County manager or selector wouldn't be impressed with the football on offer. I don't know how Drung made it out of their group as they were really poor on friday. Barry Mckiernan hit a few great scores for clough, a bit greedy at times though, Dara McVeerty was very good, very pacey and can pick a pass, scored 2 nice pts. Declan Mckiernan and Austin fitz were a big miss for Killeshandra. John McCuthcheon was very good at midfield, how he was let go from the Cavan panel showed how much Andrews knew. Mark Mullen was impressive again, enda hessin had a great game aswell at wing forward- a real speed merchant. Should be a interesting game between them and Crosserlough.

Lacken were leading 1-7 to no score at half time yesterday, playing with a strong wind. Drumlane couldn't get the ball out of there own 45 in the first half, Ray Galliagan and Niall Mckiernan hit some great scores, Drumlane came more into it in the second half, JP Kelly was decent from midfield. strong runner, Barry Corrigan tried hard. They didn't have enough in the forwards, kicked some really poor wides when they were trying to edge back into the game. Dane o Dowd was ok, but I expected more from a County player.

Ballinagh/ Mullahoran was a poor game, goal from Gaynor on the stroke of half time had ballinagh ahead, Should have been given for a free out on a foul on the Mullahoran full back. Mullahoran deserved the win, ballinagh only managed 2 scores in the second half playing with the breeze. Eddie Reilly and Dermot Sheridan were proably the best players on the Mullahoran team. Don't think they will get any further than the semi's.

Celt_Man

Killygarry beat the Gaels by a point in Breffni!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

rodney trotter

Just heard that, 10-9.. Gaels wont be winning Ulster for a while yet Myels, i remember you said they would win it soon enough during the Johnston transfer ::)

Celt_Man

oh jaysus don't start that!! Bitta row afterwards I believe...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

rodney trotter

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 02, 2012, 03:19:04 PM
Ha, I like to see all the Cavan clubs do well in the Ulster Club, but great to see Killygarry getting success, a lot of lads sound lads in that club, I heard they could be losing Thomas and Eoin Smith at the end of the year, suppose to have got work abroad.