USFC - 2/6/27 - Derry v Down

Started by theticklemister, January 09, 2013, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

He may be many a thing but shit aint one of them, for a while he was the best midfielder in ulster, his best days are behind him, but he still handy for down to have, couldnt be match fit though

Walter Cronc

Quote from: theticklemister on May 03, 2013, 12:31:49 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 03, 2013, 11:49:00 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 02, 2013, 10:07:06 PM
Fortress celtic park, dont make me laugh, we went from 1994 to 2010 losing only 1 game there after down beating us in 94. Since 2010 (lost 4 there out of 5 in a row), and a number of loses since. maybe between 8-10 in total since 2010. We actually play better away from home these days and are not too at at celtic park any more.

+1
The Fortress Celtic park was just a propaganda stunt by the City Gaels to try to ensure continued use of the Celtic park for all senior football games. It worked too.

It's hard to predict this game. I think we are capable of beating Down, but a lot of things need to go in our favour. We would need the bulk of our injured players back, particularly McBride and PJ McCloskey.  Morale will be high in the Derry camp with promotion and winning the Div2 league title, and perhaps morale in the Down camp wont be so good with the demotion, Dan Gordon injury and the loss of some of their most talented players. But Down have a lot more experience than us and have been playing at a higher level in Div1 so it's really a 50/50 call.
It has the makings of a good game though. Looking forward to it.

That first piece sounds like something from the showtrials in Russia under Stalins rule. Trying to make scapegoats out of city gaels wont work.

The second piece linking Dan Gordon's abscence to a poor Down set up means you know f**k all about football.
Dan Gordon is shit.

You go from bad to worse haha

ardtole

Gordon will be a huge loss for Down, id have liked to have seen him in a full forward role, there is not a full back in the country would relish that task. Very unselfish player and would have given Down another attacking dimension.

theticklemister

Dont buy into any of this wan bit. He's tall; get over it.

wildrover

Quote from: theticklemister on May 03, 2013, 01:19:44 PM
Dont buy into any of this wan bit. He's tall; get over it.

Dan is absolute quality. Easily the best midfielder in Down football (pity he was also deemed the best candidate to plug the holes elsewhere). Fully believe that he would take any of that Derry midfield to the cleaners. Who was that no.9 playing for Derry in the league final? Patsy Bradley for all his heart, determination and huff & puff doesn't possess a whole pile of ability. Where has Michael Friel gone to?

I think the players Down should be most afraid of are Enda Lynn and James Kielt. Think they could do real damage.

theticklemister

Ambrose Rodgers is clearly better than gordon. He has the engine to go up and down pitch and break the tackle and take a score.

No. 9 was ryan bell only his second or third start in midfield for doire. He wont be there come championship time as pj mccloskey will go back in. Patsy is very good, he does all the donkey work and if ye seen him in the county final last year he almost entirley dragged slaughtneil from the ground to beat ballinderry. He is one of the favourites for Derry supporters.

Mickey Friel is recovering from injury at the minute. He is playing club football presently. Up against James Keilt this weekend so we will see how he fairs there.

tbrick18

Fortress celtic park, dont make me laugh, we went from 1994 to 2010 losing only 1 game there after down beating us in 94. Since 2010 (lost 4 there out of 5 in a row), and a number of loses since. maybe between 8-10 in total since 2010. We actually play better away from home these days and are not too at at celtic park any more.

+1
The Fortress Celtic park was just a propaganda stunt by the City Gaels to try to ensure continued use of the Celtic park for all senior football games. It worked too.

It's hard to predict this game. I think we are capable of beating Down, but a lot of things need to go in our favour. We would need the bulk of our injured players back, particularly McBride and PJ McCloskey.  Morale will be high in the Derry camp with promotion and winning the Div2 league title, and perhaps morale in the Down camp wont be so good with the demotion, Dan Gordon injury and the loss of some of their most talented players. But Down have a lot more experience than us and have been playing at a higher level in Div1 so it's really a 50/50 call.

That first piece sounds like something from the showtrials in Russia under Stalins rule. Trying to make scapegoats out of city gaels wont work.

The second piece linking Dan Gordon's abscence to a poor Down set up means you know f**k all about football.
Dan Gordon is shit.

Good lad tickle....you are almost single handedly making derry city gaels look like idiots.
I dont think Stalin followed the football by the way, I hear he was more of a hurling fan.

theticklemister

Keep telling untruths tbrick; fortress celtic park is a myth and a load of bollix I agree but please tell me the conspiracy came from Shantallow, Creggan or Gobnascale. Tool bag.

tbrick18

Quote from: theticklemister on May 03, 2013, 02:10:05 PM
Keep telling untruths tbrick; fortress celtic park is a myth and a load of bollix I agree but please tell me the conspiracy came from Shantallow, Creggan or Gobnascale. Tool bag.

It was on wikileaks....look it up.

HiMucker

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 03, 2013, 02:05:22 PM

+1

Dan Gordon is shit.

Good lad tickle....you are almost single handedly making derry city gaels look like idiots.I dont think Stalin followed the football by the way, I hear he was more of a hurling fan.
+1

Keep an open mind lad.  Theres some of us who know what their talking about! ;)

KingLarsson

Mourne Rover

There will be plenty of top class players involved on both sides in the Derry v Down game, and Dan Gordon, had he been available, would have one of the best there. He scored two goals as a full forward in the 2003 Ulster final, which not too many players have done since - have any ? He then became one of the leading mdifielders in the country for several years before switching to full back where he featured in the 2010 All Ireland final. He was also voted by Irish News readers as the best full back in Ulster last year, even though he missed a large part of the season through injury. He has also been a very effective half back and half forward at different stages in recent years, and has been a regular choice in inter-provincial squads. The idea that someone could sit at a keyboard and suggest that he lacks ability is breathtaking.

Aristo 60

real food, real people

tbrick18

Quote from: Mourne Rover on May 03, 2013, 03:51:45 PM
There will be plenty of top class players involved on both sides in the Derry v Down game, and Dan Gordon, had he been available, would have one of the best there. He scored two goals as a full forward in the 2003 Ulster final, which not too many players have done since - have any ? He then became one of the leading mdifielders in the country for several years before switching to full back where he featured in the 2010 All Ireland final. He was also voted by Irish News readers as the best full back in Ulster last year, even though he missed a large part of the season through injury. He has also been a very effective half back and half forward at different stages in recent years, and has been a regular choice in inter-provincial squads. The idea that someone could sit at a keyboard and suggest that he lacks ability is breathtaking.

+1