mayo hurling

Started by the bucket, November 13, 2006, 02:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the bucket

there is no separate county board for the hurling just a sub  committee with no power and no money, the one we call the verger is a football man true and true as we welll know to our cost ,

Get a copy of dads army and you will spot him immediately, thick rimmed glasses and stupid expression on his face just like our friend

rosnarun

i think i saw the verger running the line with Jom from the 1989 AIF on TG4 last night. did his sons not play underage football and hurling for the county?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

the bucket

Football yes hurling they would be disowned

fingertips

giving a sliotar to     THE  VERGER   is like giving holy water to the devilllll    same reaction

smelly fairy

If that's true about Frank Browne that's a disgrace, surely they're hoding fire until they can strike the co. board at the appropriate time?
By the way bucket- watch the Blind Optician comments, you may be slighting someone's competence, in which case one may have to fire an abacus at your good self..

fingertips

hurling is very much on the up in mayo.   fantastic games between tooreen and ballyhaunis   westport shudda beaten ballina       ballina shudda won the county final against ballyhaunis

signs are good for county team for 07   so county board decides to take action and put managemnt structure in turmoil.     

PRE EMPTIVE STRIKE          MORE THAN ONE   BUSH    IN THE WORLD !!!!

stephenite

Disgraceful carry on , I presume this Verger lad is a former referee who no longer sits on the county but on the provincial council, whilst still having the infleunce over his succesor in a way that Frank would be proud to control Bosco ???

Tried my hand at the oul hurling as a young fella at the prompting of a school mate from Crossmolina, a lot of the Crossmolina lads played hurling with the Stephenites at underage ( Paddy mac, the Nallens, Gerry etc. ) was shite at it myself but there was some real talents at that level in the county. Was always saddened at the way some were treated by both the county board and others

Lar Naparka

If I hadn't read the posts on this thread I wouldn't credit the way Frank Browne has been shafted by the county board.
He's been sacked for being too successful!
Really, this couldn't happen anywhere else other than Mayo;  after all Frank and his management team achieved last year , it's hard to credit that all he gets from the county board is the proverbial two-fingered salute!
What happens next?
Are the clubs planning a protest? What about the local media; has there been any reaction to the news?
Above all else, what is going to happen now?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

the bucket

there was a whole page on the sunday star yesterday, mid west does not even know hurling exists, local papers useless,  who knows maybe we can follow cork and go on strike but would the football lads support us??

youbetterbelieveit

just picked this up off the bulmersfulltime sports page.

Mayo hurlers lash out at Browne treatment

03/12/2006 14:34:33
The Mayo hurlers have responded angrily to the sacking of their manager Frank Browne.

Browne was sensationally axed as team manager after county board officals felt that he had spent too much money on what was basic equipment that any serious club side would take for granted.

Browne and his selectors even bought a number of sliotars out of their own money, while some players also forked out for their own hurleys. Another beef the county board had was the fact that Browne trained the team three times a week, despite being instructed to train them only twice a week to keep costs down.

Mayo enjoyed a relatively successful year in 2006 when they reached the Division Two NHL semi-finals and won two of their four games in the Christy Ring Cup.

"We're all shocked by the decision because Frank had already put a lot of plans ready to start next year," said Mayo player Derek Walsh.

"It's hard to understand why he didn't get the job again, especially after the year we had last year. 2007 will be the most important year for Mayo hurling for a long time because with the way the league is being restructured for 2008, what grade you play in is determined by how well you do in the league this year.

"If we're left idling any longer, then we're going to be in really serious trouble," he told the Irish Daily Star Sunday.

Walsh scoffed at the county board notion that Browne had spent too much money in preparing the team this year.

"It's ridiculous for them to suggest that too much money was spent on the hurling team because we didn't even get our minimum entitlements for the year. Frank just couldn't have done the job any cheaper.

"I know some of the lads on the Mayo team who spent five or six hundred euro themselves on hurls this year because they couldn't get any off the county board."

The Mayo players hope that Browne will be reinstated in time for their upcoming Connacht League campaign.

fingertips

The  Holy Grail  for Mayo is to win to win the All Ireland. our U 21 team were fantastic this year and also to reach the senior final was a wonderful achievement ,so we are very very close and one more huge push from everyone hopefully will see us over that elusive line next Sept. However , the  "TO WIN AT ALL COST " mentality can be extremely dangerous because it blinkers people into seeing only one sport in our organisation and creates an athmosphere of dominance at decision level in the County Board, especially with the more elderly decision makers who still live in the past and are unwilling and unable to embrace the G.A.A. as a modern and vibrant organisation.Monies spent on county teams ,be it football or hurling at all grades, will be the subject of debate,  and so it should be, and top of list in these debates should be "  are we getting value for the money spent on our county teams." Im sure everyone who has an interest in Mayo G.A.A, matters will have their own ideas on this. A lot of wonderful progress has been achieved in hurling in Mayo in the last number of years by a vast number of dedicated people and Mayo County Board should be proud of its involvement in its promotion of our games. However ,to cut funds now will undo all the efforts of the past and will project them as of little or no value and will seriously hurt the future of hurling in Mayo. I hope this is not the hidden agenda !!! Instead of cutting funds I feel they should be added to and give Frank Browne and his selectors and players a good oppertunity to show everyone how good they are and decide then if we are getting good value for money. Any views ??

the bucket

There is  no hidden agenda against Mayo Hurling by the County Board, it is quite blatant out there in your face agenda against  hurling in mayo.
The problem here is that it is not costing a quarter of what they are saying it costs because they will never disclose to the hurling clubs what money they got for hurling in mayo, we know they are getting quite a considerable sum  which is not been given to the hurlers but used for football purposes

the bucket

Quote from: smelly fairy on November 30, 2006, 07:59:07 PM
If that's true about Frank Browne that's a disgrace, surely they're hoding fire until they can strike the co. board at the appropriate time?
By the way bucket- watch the Blind Optician comments, you may be slighting someone's competence, in which case one may have to fire an abacus at your good self..

we have moved on from  the abacus and bye the way it was not his competence as an optician i was calling into place ;D

fingertips

was there a hurling board  A.G.M.  yet ?  Would the officers of the hurling board be brave enough to demand a copy of all financial dealings by the county board i.e. income and expenditure  ?  I wonder can they legally withhold this information. would make very interestiny reading ! Heard through the grapevine that the  vergers  club has the same attitude towards its timber swinging members.  Treat them like mushrooms...........keep them in the dark and feed them with shi....  and then eat them for breakfast ha! ha! ha! What is needed is a hurling NELSON MANDELA !!!!!!!!!

reiteoir

Lads, just reading of how Frank Browne was shafted ny the MCB. What happened was an absolute disgrace. How can you expect to develop hurling when your own county board are promoting a very clear anti-hurling agenda? Totally disgusting.