Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christmas Lights

Just the 47 points defeat for John Mitchells yesterday, in 3 games they have scored a total of 2 points & conceded a total of 144, giving them a points difference of minus (-) 142

Why is this being allowed to happen?  I'm not picking on the club but it just seems a complete waste of time for all involved.

Christmas Lights

Can someone throw in the towel then!  The team they played yesterday lost their 1st championship match by 11 points so they had a score difference of -11 going into the game.  After playing John Mitchells yesterday, they now have a +36 score difference LOLOLOLOL.  Makes a bit of a mockery of the thing does it not?

ONeill

Jerome's doing a fine job on the coverage with decent co-commentators. Kerr and McGourty did well. Keep it up.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gold

Quote from: hardstation on August 03, 2020, 09:33:15 AM
Obviously they don't want to throw the towel in and they continue to fulfil their fixtures. I wouldn't let it bother you.

Ah here it is a joke. Only a few we all know wanna keep that club entering and its not for the platers benefit.
The players arent up to it and couldnt enjoy the 'sport.'....how can you not score a point in a champiosnip match.....how can you not solo a ball?.

Why should teams have to play them? Let them play south antrim b or whaatever.

that last 3 games is beyond anything ive ever seen at any age or level
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

It has been happening for a long time not just this year it's just the group games highlight it more. It was just a bye before.

delgany

Quote from: ONeill on August 05, 2020, 12:04:08 AM
Jerome's doing a fine job on the coverage with decent co-commentators. Kerr and McGourty did well. Keep it up.

The commentating on the St.Endas / St.Galls match was poor! 

imtommygunn

Quotethey are shite but if the GAA was do away with shite football Antrim would have been wrapped up years ago.

;D Funny and sad all at the same time haha.

Belfast GAA man

For someThing completely different I notice 2 clubs who have been succesful at juvenile football for 10 years havebt got close to the Div 1 ranks - SarsFields and St Pauls and yet LD and St Johns are top DIV 1 teams with rare juvenile succeses - what you think? similar examples in SW????????

imtommygunn

Have they won much that much at underage though? Or how recently are we talking?

If you have a solid senior team you can usually get away with a couple of players a year and not need significant success. On the same note it will be interesting to see how Cargin fare with them having quite a few barren years at minor etc though they now have good teams coming through.

I was talking to a guy from Sarsfields who says they are very young this year. Maybe too much of a big bang approach just with whatever circumstances.

The successful teams of the latter years in SW underage would tend to have made it to division 1. Rasharkin always used to be great at underage and maybe didn't do as much at senior but they have dropped off this last number of years. Ballymena have been improving a lot at underage but look to be moving division one direction too.

Player retention urban v rural maybe a thing there too.

imtommygunn

Yeah I would say a bit early too. St Pauls do look to be getting better. I think sarsfields have lost quite a few so will likely get worse before better but will get better I suspect.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: hardstation on August 05, 2020, 02:39:35 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on August 05, 2020, 02:30:23 PM
For someThing completely different I notice 2 clubs who have been succesful at juvenile football for 10 years havebt got close to the Div 1 ranks - SarsFields and St Pauls and yet LD and St Johns are top DIV 1 teams with rare juvenile succeses - what you think? similar examples in SW????????
I would have thought it was a bit early for this? In that, Sarsfields and St Paul's juvenile teams haven't come right through yet. I don't recall any minor titles? St Johns are backboned by lads with a couple of minors. LD have lads with an Ulster minor title.
That's right about no minor finals for Sarsfields and Stpauls maybe their boys are being lost at 16/17 - what a wastE of the work at u6 to u16

BigBallWeeBall

My summary on city clubs 
LD and Johnnies have been at the top end but fallow years may be ahead of them due to lower underage numbers recently. Don't know what young players have migrated to senior set ups or strength of 2nd teams.
St Teresa's appear to be on slide because low of apparent numbers underage. GnM still battling hard but again don't know about juveniles or reserves. Davitts have been working hard and will get a massive lift from own pitch
Watched StPols reserve team recently, a team with a lot of youngsters but they were all on the line as maybe 2 over 50 year olds were actually playing and lads didn't get a run out.
The full back line was younger in age than 1 player.
We called them Dads Army!!.!!

Clubs won't make progress with this policy, youngster will do other sports  and any underage work is pissed up against the wall. PD of Gaelfast did good work for juvenile team and St Paul's improvement could be shortlived.

Don't know who's at fault on these situations. the manager, older players or the club but on the reverse of this if Sarsfields are sticking to young lads then they will defo come out stronger. From memory they had good Feile team to build on as well.
St Galls always bring a few through every year. Rossa, St Endas and St Brigids also reaping benefit from investment in kids and despite Joe Bs ego I don't think he would be allowed to play in place of children!!!!!!!!! LOL
A mixed bag of thoughts from me. Any opinions.

JimStynes

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2020, 02:37:04 PM
Have they won much that much at underage though? Or how recently are we talking?

If you have a solid senior team you can usually get away with a couple of players a year and not need significant success. On the same note it will be interesting to see how Cargin fare with them having quite a few barren years at minor etc though they now have good teams coming through.

I was talking to a guy from Sarsfields who says they are very young this year. Maybe too much of a big bang approach just with whatever circumstances.

The successful teams of the latter years in SW underage would tend to have made it to division 1. Rasharkin always used to be great at underage and maybe didn't do as much at senior but they have dropped off this last number of years. Ballymena have been improving a lot at underage but look to be moving division one direction too.

Player retention urban v rural maybe a thing there too.

Cargin are looking good at underage again! They'll get a few top class players coming out of that minor team.

general_lee

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2020, 07:13:57 AM
It has been happening for a long time not just this year it's just the group games highlight it more. It was just a bye before.
Have Mitchels got any underage structures or where are they based?

imtommygunn

HS would know better. i think they are twinbrook? Not aware of underage structures but don't know the belfast underage scene that well.