Serious financial irregularities in Galway

Started by TheGreatest, February 18, 2019, 08:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Those Ed Sheeran figures are crazy.

Even if the top CB guys were hopelessly out of their depth, why wouldn't they engage with a commercial 3rd party to act on their behalf?.

thebackbar1

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 09, 2019, 12:56:05 PM
The hurling side of the county have a lot to answer for to be honest.

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 08, 2019, 08:11:33 PM
Quote from: giveballaghback on October 08, 2019, 07:55:42 PM
Heard primetime investagates are down in galway doing a program on Galway gaa.

Definitely someone should look at the Ed Sheeran concerts last year - Galway County Board only earned €76k from 2 sold-out concerts while Cork GAA netted around €1 million for 3 nights.

That's a difference of €38k versus €330k on a per-night basis.

This is still mind blowing, has any plausible explanation ever come out?

Some of the difference's were accounted for by money paid to salthill gaa and work that had to be carried out Pearse Stadium.

However it seems it was very poorly managed, the chairman and treasurer who oversaw these negotiations are no longer involved

Maroon Manc

Quote from: heffo on October 09, 2019, 02:47:44 PM

Even if the top CB guys were hopelessly out of their depth, why wouldn't they engage with a commercial 3rd party to act on their behalf?.

I'm fairly sure the paid commercial manager who left the role a few years for Connacht Rugby would have overseen negotiations; If this is true then it really doesn't look good.

heffo

I seen a Tweet the other day along the lines of GAA players becoming more professional, GAA officials become more amatuerish.

Is there a toxic culture in Galway at a CB level? Why aren't capable people going for these roles?

twohands!!!

Quote from: heffo on October 09, 2019, 02:47:44 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a case of being too out of their depth to know they were out of their depth.

I know a lot of Galway's issues are related to previous incumbents but the current regime don't seem to be doing much of a job in terms of improving matters given the way the relationships with the main sponsors and management/potential management has been handled. I'm sure the last thing McDonagh wanted was to go public with matters.

You'd have thought priority number one for Galway GAA was keeping the lad who gave them €1.6 million over the last five years on-side and in the loop, especially given all the stuff related to the finances. As soon as the new regime took over they should have arranged a meeting with McDonagh and gone through what was done wrong previously and explain the steps being taken to sort things out going forward. It's hard enough to get sponsors on board, so you'd think some small amount of care would be taken with the relationship, especially given the ongoing issues.

In terms of transparency and openness, one simple small step they could take is to publish all the recent financial accounts on the Galway website and what they can of the various financial audit reports. I heard that some parts of the first report couldn't be published because of legal issues [which says a world about what the financial controls and records were like; basically they're pretty certain money went missing but their controls and records were so poor they can't legally pin responsibility on individuals] It would be a small step forward in terms of openness and signal a difference in approach instead of things being shrouded in rumour.

twohands!!!

Quote from: heffo on October 09, 2019, 03:27:59 PM
I seen a Tweet the other day along the lines of GAA players becoming more professional, GAA officials become more amatuerish.

Is there a toxic culture in Galway at a CB level? Why aren't capable people going for these roles?

Because for the most part county boards are drawing from a relatively small pool of people.
It can be tireless unrewarding work.
A lot of the time it's a case of picking the least worst from those individuals willing to show up.
Also there's little to nothing done in terms of targetting capable people for roles within the organisation.

TheGreatest

Did anyone catch Primetime last night on this issue and if so anything worth noting?

Will it ever end

They almost entirely regurgitated the news article without actually naming the county

mouview

Quote from: TheGreatest on October 25, 2019, 10:05:50 AM
Did anyone catch Primetime last night on this issue and if so anything worth noting?

An unnamed official in an unnamed county might have ran up big, unsubstantiated bills on a credit card.
In other news, dog regurgitates man's homework while Miriam O'Callaghan pleads "Won't somebody pleeeease think of the children".

macdanger2

With the levels of cash going through CBs going into the millions, central GAA should be providing some sort of framework to make it easier for CBs to manage their finances better (or make it harder for people to fiddle it depending on how you look at it)

Maroon Manc

Mick Culhane going for Galway chairman according to John Fogarty, strikes me as the sort of bloke Galway could do with.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 18, 2019, 09:31:16 AM
Mick Culhane going for Galway chairman according to John Fogarty, strikes me as the sort of bloke Galway could do with.
Agreed although it will be interesting to see how that goes down with the hurling fraternity!

thewobbler

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 25, 2019, 05:04:20 PM
With the levels of cash going through CBs going into the millions, central GAA should be providing some sort of framework to make it easier for CBs to manage their finances better (or make it harder for people to fiddle it depending on how you look at it)

Until county team management become PAYE employees of a county board, it's going to be extremely difficult to put a common framework in place, as there will always be a need for unregistered income to balance the unregistered expenditure.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on November 18, 2019, 10:44:01 AM
Agreed although it will be interesting to see how that goes down with the hurling fraternity!

Past time that the pendulum swung back to the football a bit and it should be a no brainer to replace the incumbent, but I won't hold my breath.
No offence to the hurling fraternity in Galway but the forced amalgamation of the hurling and football at County Board level has been disastrous and I know where I'd be putting most of the blame. The hurling men shouldn't even be in Loughgeorge, nevermind deciding what teams get priority there.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on November 18, 2019, 03:05:16 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on November 18, 2019, 10:44:01 AM

Past time that the pendulum swung back to the football a bit and it should be a no brainer to replace the incumbent, but I won't hold my breath.
No offence to the hurling fraternity in Galway but the forced amalgamation of the hurling and football at County Board level has been disastrous and I know where I'd be putting most of the blame. The hurling men shouldn't even be in Loughgeorge, nevermind deciding what teams get priority there.
how's the hurling training centre coming along??