Premier League 20/21

Started by Hereiam, August 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 21, 2021, 12:11:29 AM
Quote from: laoislad on January 20, 2021, 07:54:08 PM
So how the f**k is that first City goal allowed???

Can an attacking player be offside when a defender is playing the ball?
I'm guessing they'll have to clarify the new rule but for me it's 100% offside and can see why Smith was so enraged.

Mings doesn't have the ball under control yet when challenged. The rule states about a player playing the ball and the guy in offside position thus receiving it, so I'd interpret that as an intercepted pass being ok. But Mings hasn't played the ball for me, he is trying to get it under control.
Plus Rodri moves in a good 10 yards to be on top of Mings and be in an optimal position from when the ball is first headed in, so for me he has involved himself in the play from the off.

Man City will of course say all fair in love and war and interpret the word "played" as the moment the ball touches Mings.

It's one of those loopholes which will need addressing but I think it at least deserved a VAR review at the time and giving all interpretations due consideration. That's probably adding to Villa's ire and the consequent heavy handed attitude of the referee.

Look-Up!

Quote from: trailer on January 21, 2021, 10:41:45 AM

That was a strange goal and I'd be pissed if it was against Utd but by Christ Tyrone Mings is the most overrated footballer bar none. He's absolutely terrible. Against Utd earlier in the year he was dire and he hasn't got any better. I just don't get the hype.
In his defence it was that type of high ball that was always going to take a second touch to get under control. He would have thought he had loads of time and to be fair it wasn't that bad of first touch but was unlucky that he chose to go that side with it. As soon as he turns to get his second touch on it Rodri comes into his field of vision and he panics and messes up a bit.

shark

That was a strange goal and I'd be pissed if it was against Utd but by Christ Tyrone Mings is the most overrated footballer bar none. He's absolutely terrible. Against Utd earlier in the year he was dire and he hasn't got any better. I just don't get the hype.

What hype?
He's a mid table quality player at a mid table club.

lurganblue

I don't really know where you are seeing this hype. Incidentally I thought he was excellent in the game last night. However, there is always a mistake in the lad as he becomes very casual at times.

trailer

He's an England international!

lurganblue

Aaron Boone

Quote from: lurganblue on January 21, 2021, 12:13:01 PM

I don't really know where you are seeing this hype. Incidentally I thought he was excellent in the game last night. However, there is always a mistake in the lad as he becomes very casual at times.

His first name has got him places in his career.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 21, 2021, 10:57:12 AM

In his defence it was that type of high ball that was always going to take a second touch to get under control. He would have thought he had loads of time and to be fair it wasn't that bad of first touch but was unlucky that he chose to go that side with it. As soon as he turns to get his second touch on it Rodri comes into his field of vision and he panics and messes up a bit.

I don't think that playing the ball has been interpreted in a long time as having it under control.  There have  been plenty of slow motion replays of goals given where the scorer was only onside because the pass to him took a slight deflection from a defender before reaching the scorer.

shark

Quote from: trailer on January 21, 2021, 12:27:54 PM

Yet is getting hyped by nobody. Most commentators that I have heard have rightfully put his place in the England team down to him being left footed.
It is quite clear that the England manager wants a left footed centre half playing, rather than two right footers. If Mings was right footed he would not be making the England squad. You won't find any Villa fan who thinks Mings is in the top 6 qualified English centre halfs currently playing. In saying that he is decent, for the level Villa are at. If Villa can build further and want to make a serious push for top 4, he will be replaced. Hard to see them keeping 8 clean sheets in 16 without him being somewhat competent though. Although we can't give Mings any credit for the Palace clean sheet.

trailer

Quote from: shark on January 21, 2021, 01:19:51 PM

Yet is getting hyped by nobody. Most commentators that I have heard have rightfully put his place in the England team down to him being left footed.
It is quite clear that the England manager wants a left footed centre half playing, rather than two right footers. If Mings was right footed he would not be making the England squad. You won't find any Villa fan who thinks Mings is in the top 6 qualified English centre halfs currently playing. In saying that he is decent, for the level Villa are at. If Villa can build further and want to make a serious push for top 4, he will be replaced. Hard to see them keeping 8 clean sheets in 16 without him being somewhat competent though. Although we can't give Mings any credit for the Palace clean sheet.

He's not a PL footballer. He's definitely not an England international. We're arguing over is he "hyped". I'll rephrase if it helps. He's f**king shite.

shark

Quote from: trailer on January 21, 2021, 03:10:12 PM

He's not a PL footballer. He's definitely not an England international. We're arguing over is he "hyped". I'll rephrase if it helps. He's f**king shite.

Thanks for clarifying. He certainly has mistakes in him, and given his age I don't see him improving from his current level. However he objectively is a premier league footballer and an England international. Your opinion doesn't change that. I would argue that you're holding him to the standard of top 6 team's players. He wouldn't get in those teams. However there are 20 teams in the premier league. They don't all have Van Dijk, Dias or Fofana playing centre half. Villa's defensive record is excellent, especially for a team who rarely plays defensively (last night they did, of course). He has been an integral part of that.

quit yo jibbajabba

Think yer arguing with yourself at this stage Trailer.

The fact is yer wrong on yer first two points and these can easily be disproven. The bar for eng centre halves isnt terribly high these days but hes there. Hes not shite nor is he brilliant. Nor has rhere been any hype

quit yo jibbajabba

This argument is along the lines of my 11yr old whereby unless yer a van dijk or a laporte the next level down is "shite". But hes 11 and i hope he learns in time

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on January 21, 2021, 03:10:12 PM

Like Mica Richards hype? I love the way Roy reeled him in one day on Sky sports.....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Boycey

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on January 21, 2021, 03:28:39 PM
This argument is along the lines of my 11yr old whereby unless yer a van dijk or a laporte the next level down is "shite". But hes 11 and i hope he learns in time

You have hit the nail on the head there, a lot of the lazy analysis on places like this is brilliant/shite  :). Most of Man Utds squad have been labelled on here as shite and not just by opposition fans. In my opinion they do a passable job as Premier League players (most of the time)