Mayo v Dublin - AISF - Saturday 5pm

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 04, 2019, 10:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

What pisses off Dublin fans is this notion that their success is purely down to money and the BS that goes with it. People on this website happy to bitch about Dublin's advantages all day long but nothing said when Leitrim/Sligo get hammered in Connaught every year.

Kerry won 5 in a row at minor level and I didn't hear any calls for their funding to be reduced to give everyone else a chance.
How many county boards around the country are disfunctional and have no underage/coaching structures in place yet people think taking money off dublin and giving to them will somehow make them better.

Do Leitrim bitch about the advantages Mayo/Galway have over them??? No. Their best player Emlyn Mulligan just wants a fairer competition for the weaker teams.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: dublin7 on August 21, 2019, 03:13:16 PM
What pisses off Dublin fans is this notion that their success is purely down to money and the BS that goes with it. People on this website happy to bitch about Dublin's advantages all day long but nothing said when Leitrim/Sligo get hammered in Connaught every year.

Kerry won 5 in a row at minor level and I didn't hear any calls for their funding to be reduced to give everyone else a chance.
How many county boards around the country are disfunctional and have no underage/coaching structures in place yet people think taking money off dublin and giving to them will somehow make them better.

Do Leitrim bitch about the advantages Mayo/Galway have over them??? No. Their best player Emlyn Mulligan just wants a fairer competition for the weaker teams.
That's fair enough and I accept that a lot of Dublin's success is down to hard graft and volunteer work.
I have said it any times her that I don't blame Dublin for taking all the money they can get and I don't begrudge them any amount of ALL Irelands either. They are playing the same system as every other county. That's human nature and Mayo/ Kerry/Donegal or whoever would do the very same if they got half a chance.
but it is up to the other county boards to make their feelings known as bitching on forums like this won't do anyone any good.
However, II have yet to hear a credible reason as to why Dublin gets c. €254 per registered player and, say, Kerry gets only €19. I don't blame Dublin for this but I do blame Kerry.
BTW, I will be rooting for Dublin in the final and so will most Mayo people I know.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: dublin7 on August 21, 2019, 03:13:16 PM

Anyone who asserts that Dublin's current success is purely down to the money are flat out wrong. As you rightly point out there are many county boards that would only misuse the money if they got it and those county boards don't have the right people involved at the top level that are needed to successfully execute a long term strategy - be that strategy increased participation rates within the county or putting in place one to increase the success of their inter-county teams over a long period. Dublin county board are to be admired for the way that they have so professionally organised themselves with competent people in key roles and when you put this in addition to other factors such as the hard work at underage in Dublin GAA clubs, better quality of player Dublin are producing, quality of management setup, best sponsorships, natural population and economic advantages etc. then their current success is no shock at all.

Now likewise the Dubs that constantly bleat about people running the current success down, Dublin has a myriad of in built advantages already that no other county in the country has and they get the lion's share of funding on top, that's just a fact. There has to be an acknowledgement as well of Dublin fans who ascertain that money has nothing (and this is the key word here, from John Horan - who has barely bothered to conceal his Dublin loyalties with some of his statements while in the office of GAA President - on down), absolutely nothing to do with the current and future success of Dublin, which is to me people trying to make an argument that simply doesn't stack up.
The notion that money isn't a factor at all is at best, extreme wishful thinking on their part, the insinuation made this year that GAA members in other counties simply aren't volunteering hard enough would be laughable if it wasn't so serious an issue.
Lar Naparka is correct to raise the question of what are the other counties doing about this situation, Dublin GAA will take whatever they can get out of it, they don't care about the general health of the rest of the GAA outside of themselves.

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 21, 2019, 04:19:02 PM

That's fair enough and I accept that a lot of Dublin's success is down to hard graft and volunteer work.
I have said it any times her that I don't blame Dublin for taking all the money they can get and I don't begrudge them any amount of ALL Irelands either. They are playing the same system as every other county. That's human nature and Mayo/ Kerry/Donegal or whoever would do the very same if they got half a chance.
but it is up to the other county boards to make their feelings known as bitching on forums like this won't do anyone any good.
However, II have yet to hear a credible reason as to why Dublin gets c. €254 per registered player and, say, Kerry gets only €19. I don't blame Dublin for this but I do blame Kerry.
BTW, I will be rooting for Dublin in the final and so will most Mayo people I know.

Lar, I know you didn't come up with those figures, but they are just irrelevant. Again, I know it wasn't you, but whoever came up with that showed a complete ignorance of what games development funding is. Might as well divide by the number of buses in each county and see how that compares.

You need to divide by the number of primary school children, that's were the development funds are focused. Increasing participation.

AMayoFan

"Anyone who asserts that Dublin's current success is purely down to the money are flat out wrong. "

Then give the extra money up and receive the same funding level what other counties receive.  At the end of the day, people want a level playing field, just saying!  Until that time Dublin success will be tarnished by how things are stacked in there favour.

That all said, I'm cheering them on and I do hope they get 5 in a row (sorry Kerry!). Outstanding team with fantastic players.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Hound on August 26, 2019, 07:24:16 AM

Lar, I know you didn't come up with those figures, but they are just irrelevant. Again, I know it wasn't you, but whoever came up with that showed a complete ignorance of what games development funding is. Might as well divide by the number of buses in each county and see how that compares.

You need to divide by the number of primary school children, that's were the development funds are focused. Increasing participation.

Its similiar to the Dublin has 215 clubs lie. Spillane has used this figure in the past in his articles, however you cant blame him when the first search on google throws up incorrect information.

Dubhaltach

If you want to go down that road.....County Dublin has the primary school population of a province. It's totally unsustainable for a population of that size to have only one team competing in the All Ireland Chamionship. The logical thing would be for Dublin to have 4 teams split on along the 4 County council areas Fingal, City, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown and South Dublin.

Hound

Quote from: Dubhaltach on August 26, 2019, 08:40:14 PM

If you want to go down that road.....County Dublin has the primary school population of a province. It's totally unsustainable for a population of that size to have only one team competing in the All Ireland Chamionship. The logical thing would be for Dublin to have 4 teams split on along the 4 County council areas Fingal, City, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown and South Dublin.
Why would that be logical? Would that help Sligo, Fermanagh, Offaly, Clare, etc.?

Lar Naparka

Just saw this now.  Frankly, I don't see what anyone hopes to get from targeting the primary school kids.  What about Cumann na mBunscol and the work primary teachers did and, to some extent, are still doing for Gaelic games in every school in the county?
Given the structural flaws n the Dublin club model, the teachers over that last 100-ish years couldn't increase the numbers making the GAH their primary sports and no amount of GDO promotion ever will either.
I spent the three most productive decades of my working career plugging Gaelic games in Finglas West and if I were able to do it all over again I doubt if I could increase the number of boys who decided to make Gaelic games their first priority because of my efforts.
BTW even one would beat my best to date and the same can be said for any of my former colleagues.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 26, 2019, 11:17:54 PM

Just saw this now.  Frankly, I don't see what anyone hopes to get from targeting the primary school kids.  What about Cumann na mBunscol and the work primary teachers did and, to some extent, are still doing for Gaelic games in every school in the county?
Given the structural flaws n the Dublin club model, the teachers over that last 100-ish years couldn't increase the numbers making the GAH their primary sports and no amount of GDO promotion ever will either.
I spent the three most productive decades of my working career plugging Gaelic games in Finglas West and if I were able to do it all over again I doubt if I could increase the number of boys who decided to make Gaelic games their first priority because of my efforts.
BTW even one would beat my best to date and the same can be said for any of my former colleagues.
Yep, 100% agree.
Participation in Dublin in GAA isn't great, it has improved in some areas and whether that has anything to do with GDOs is a matter of opinion, some are good and some are useless. And it does seem like a lost cause in some areas, like, as you say, parts of Finglas.

priceyreilly

Time to expose your lies once again, here's a man who's worked for Dublin GAA for 2 decades on the difference GDO's have made to elite development squads:

"I went back the following year to an U15 development squad. And if you were to compare the quality of player coming through then to the U13s now, the difference is night and day. Kids were coming into us without the basic skills. They were kick-passing a five-yard pass instead of hand-passing it but their instinct was to kick it along the ground. So they obviously hadn't been exposed to any level of coaching.

I look now at U14 football in Dublin and the standard of football in the county is phenomenal. The level of individual skill the players have, the level of coaching teams, it's incomparable to the late '90s, early '00s. And a big reason why is obviously the GDO system going into Dublin."

That's where the development fund is going. Stop talking sh1te.

Ball Hopper

Didn't the GAA try to win over the hearts of the youth of Dublin, who were felt to be more attracted to soccer and rugby?

Well, the Irish international soccer team is gone backwards and is under pressure to qualify for an expanded Euro 2020, let alone a World Cup. 

The rugby squad are giving the appearance of being in reverse at this stage...still haven't qualified for a World Cup semi-final.

In the absence of soccer and rugby success, will the GAA thereby claim victory?  Even if the result of the victory is a severe dulling of interest in their own football championship?

twohands!!!

Quote from: Hound on August 27, 2019, 08:46:04 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 26, 2019, 11:17:54 PM

Yep, 100% agree.
Participation in Dublin in GAA isn't great, it has improved in some areas and whether that has anything to do with GDOs is a matter of opinion, some are good and some are useless. And it does seem like a lost cause in some areas, like, as you say, parts of Finglas.

John Costello in last year's annual report "Our Go Games programme alone, over the last 10 years, has seen a participation growth of 58 per cent in football and 98 per cent in hurling and 11,500 fixtures scheduled annually for children in the Under 8 to Under-12 age groups."

whitey

Reported today that Ballyhaunis cannot field either a U14 or. U16 team